thread

Dispute: william rosa - Atari 400 / 800 / XL / XE - Pac-Man - default settings - Player: Shane Rolin - Score: 934,793

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,687
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    East accept - voting yes.

I came across a very sobering 1980s discussion about - wouldn't you know it - the need to verify high scores! What's old is new again, I guess.

From the publication Softline (September 1982) under the tagline High Scores. Interestingly, it mentions Shane Rolin:

"Verification: the controversy heats up. One one side, Ken Mikoloj ("I have no picture, but don't worry about it! I'll do it again and make sure I have my camera handy") and Shane Rollin ("I have no verification but I trust you will take my word for these feats"), among others, and on the other side a growing number of concerned gamers who are pushing for absolute, positive verification for every single score. We shall probably have to call a referendum soon, before the revolution."

Softline includes Shane's Pac-Man high score of 934,793. And as a final note, Shane's score is listed as "unverified" by the publication.

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/i...ftline_2.1.pdf
    PDF Is text searchable.
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
    Likes sdwyer138, CWK liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,869
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Your research is awesome thanks. What really gets me about these wrong digits ones is it makes me think the person never even played the game once in order to guess a score so badly. If something this bad got through can you imagine some of the less obvious ones. I honestly never heard of Shane before I was just playing pacman and noticed the scores
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us