PDA

View Full Version : Weird Wonderboy at Funspot

The_Pro
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I only had time for one game of Wonderboy this year at Funspot but it was enough for me to notice a couple weird things.

First of all the game does not award french fries but rather crowns. It looked like a crown anyway. Also there are no extra lives to be collected at the fourth letter. It just keeps giving letters. I went through all the rom versions and couldn't find any that is the same as Funspot's Wonderboy. Most of the scoreboard entries are from the Funspot machine and yet this is clearly not the normal Wonderboy so a reclassification might be needed. Anyone ever see this version?

07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Martin:

The above is a link to the TG approved Video Arcade Preservation Society site at and the link to the killer list of video games (KLOV) above.

Specifically, the FS version might be \"Wonderboy Deluxe\", but this is just a hunch. Without examining the ops manuals and boardsets compared to a classic WB version, there's no way to know for sure.

Would be interesting to find out after all these years, and if so, what would that mean to the TG-tracked title after so many, many years ?

Yet another matter to discuss with Walter when he returns. Just a few more days, and the list of problems grows.

Robert

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
07-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Specifically, the FS version might be "Wonderboy Deluxe", but this is just a hunch. Without examining the ops manuals and boardsets compared to a classic WB version, there's no way to know for sure.

Actually,
I can confirm from being an avid fan of Wonderboy [2nd fave game of the classic era, 1st being of course, Time Pilot ^^] and I did another quick double check on Wonderboy Deluxe in MAME and I was able to get my extra life on Area 1 Round 4, and I got French Fries on Area 1 Round 3... not crowns.

I wish I knew of these at FunSpot... I recall Martin mentioning the lack of an extra life... but that was about it. I figured nothing more then a bug...

But with this and the testing.. we got a live one here!

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

The_Pro
07-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Nope, I tried Wonderboy Deluxe as well, no crowns and the extra lives were present. I was thinking the missing lives might be a dip switch setting, but what about the crowns?

QRS1
07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Nope, I tried Wonderboy Deluxe as well, no crowns and the extra lives were present. I was thinking the missing lives might be a dip switch setting, but what about the crowns?

It can be a bootleg or a hack. It actually sounds like that. That might also explain why it is not emulated in MAME. I have never seen a crown in any of the wonderboy machines I have tried back in the 80's.

07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Will wait for Walter to return.

Will also send a note to TG's resident gaming historian, Mark Longridge, to see what info he can dig up.

Robert

bernard
07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey guys,

I will be heading up to Funspot this weekend (I actually don't get to get up there as often as some might think, at most once a month).

I would like to do some serious investigating on the Wonderboy machine... and I'd do a better job if everyone can compile a list of things to check. It should include things to check about how the games play, as well as things to check on the physical board as well (assuming that I can get access inside the machine if Gary is working).

Martin, can you post a picture of these \"crowns\" I think Jason and Anna call them something else?

I am not very familiar with the game Wonderboy, but I would like to make a very extensive examination of the machine so PLEASE tell me everything you want me to look for, and between myself, Anna, Chris, Shawn, Gary, we will do everything we can.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I am not very familiar with the game Wonderboy, but I would like to make a very extensive examination of the machine so PLEASE tell me everything you want me to look for, and between myself, Anna, Chris, Shawn, Gary, we will do everything we can.

If you can take a digital camera with you or even a camcorder, and shoot EXTENSIVE close-ups of the board itself, that would DEFINTELY be a boon. With those pics or vids, if they can be put online, I can add them to the Mame.Net forum and hopefully someone else can be able to tell us what we may be looking at. Heck, some screen shots of these "crowns" would also be a boon as well.

That's about all I can think of from a technical aspect... heck.. if there's a manual for the game, that would be awesome if we could get scans of it. That may enlighten us on a number of issues.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

The_Pro
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't know jack about the insides unfortunatly, but the more pics the better. As for what to look for, the crowns (yes I remember Anna and crew called them something else) are the hidden items that replace french fries. Sometimes when you see a little blip on the screen, it's because you missed a hidden crown/french fry. You have to jump straight up in certain locations to make them appear, earliest are in 1-3. There's one right after the first pit, jump where the carrot is. Check out the various MARP recordings to see them.

There's also the fact that no extra lives are given when you collect all four letters in a given world, the fourth being an extra life doll. This one just keeps giving letters. I confirmed this for the first couple of worlds. Didn't play enough to see if anything else was amiss, such as an unbeatable 7th boss which occurs on one romset. Has anyone finished the game yet?

The_Pro
07-13-2005, 11:07 PM
That's about all I can think of from a technical aspect... heck.. if there's a manual for the game, that would be awesome if we could get scans of it. That may enlighten us on a number of issues.

Oh yeah, I found the manual as well, nothing in there. This was the technical manual though, I don't know if the might be another one that would weigh in on the actual game play.

07-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Hello everyone:

My last-known E-MAIL address to Mark came back as undeliverable. I'll try again from work where his former addresses are stored.

Meanwhile, someone if they have the time should try logging into , going to the KLOV site, and checking out each downloadable PDF file of the operator's manuals to see if something there might be useful. Sorry, but I'm on overload now.

Robert

wondergirl
07-15-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm not real familiar with the rom on MAME, but I have information about the Wonderboy at Funspot. Those are not \"crowns\", they are \"coffees\". They show up in the exact same spots as the french fries. You only get extra guys at 30k, 100k, 170k, and 240k. I think that these roms should be tracked seperately in twin galaxies. The rom at Funspot gives 7 lives per game, and the rom on MAME gives 12 or 13. Just the extra man bonus for completing the game is reason enough to track them seperately. I'll investigate this further with Dave and Jason at Funspot tomorrow.
-Anna
Wonderboy(version at Funspot)- 1,171,730

07-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Wondergirl:

That's what we're gonna have to do, no question, but here's the last issue. What do we actually refer to this variation as ? That's the last puzzle to answer.

When done, I can copy all FS WB scores to the new variation. Not sure who exactly will be the WB champ on the original version after, now that I think of it.

As for MAME, we can't track this new version if no commensurate ROMset exists. This is truly an enigma, right on par with Greg's \"Wild Western\" boardset and the one at FS !!

Robert

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
As for MAME, we can't track this new version if no commensurate ROMset exists. This is truly an enigma, right on par with Greg's "Wo;d Western" boardset and the one at FS !!

Well, someone on the MAME board was... well I'm not sure if this was half joking or not, but suggested wheeling the badboy into the parking lot to someone waiting with dumping equipment and then dumping the board within an hour before heading off again... not that Gary'd let that happen ^^;;

But now that the community is aware of this phenomenon, there may be hope of 1 day seeing it.

Mr. Kelly .R Flewin

The_Pro
07-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Well, someone on the MAME board was... well I'm not sure if this was half joking or not, but suggested wheeling the badboy into the parking lot to someone waiting with dumping equipment and then dumping the board within an hour before heading off again... not that Gary'd let that happen ^^;;

Well he wouldn't agree to a backdoor dumping (boy that sounds bad now that I read it) but maybe if we explained it was to identify an unknown and possibly rare revision...

I don't know, I can't say I've discussed rom politics with Gary before. Gotta be easier than getting to Marble Man though.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
07-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Well he wouldn't agree to a backdoor dumping (boy that sounds bad now that I read it) but maybe if we explained it was to identify an unknown and possibly rare revision...

I don't know, I can't say I've discussed rom politics with Gary before. Gotta be easier than getting to Marble Man though.

I think this is something we might take an interest in finding out... mind you, we'd need someone very trustworthy with an EProm dumper to do the work... and a guarantee and probably legal docs to cover things if something went wrong, etc.

Marble Man... now THERE would be a nice addition for FunSpot... or Splat! Maybe that 1 of 3 copies of Blaster [Sitdown]?

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

bernard
07-16-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't have any problems asking Gary. I'll explain the situation if he's there today.

QRS1
07-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok... correct me if I'm wrong.. is there any need to track such a version of Wonderboy? All the versions I have ever heard about or played myself during the (almost) 20 years since it was released gives the usual amount of lives during the game.. the extra letters etc (Except the bootlegs, hacked versions etc which the funspot version is I'm 99% sure of.) Same goes for all the romsets in mame (with minor differences and ONE set that is completly weird..)..

My point is that the only place that you will get wonderboy scores from that category... is from ... yeah you guessed it.. funspot :)

For me it is like requesting that TG allows a separate track for that weird wonderboy version I just talked about in MAME (not encrypted version I think) just because that's the only rom you have or are used to play! :)

Just wait until you get an ordinary board or change the settings to five man only (if there ain't no other differences than the lives). Or one life only maybe? Martin don't need anymore anyway j/k :)

I'm pretty sure someone can get one of the ordinary boards from ebay rather cheap. The wonderboy boards are not rare. Just don't buy another hack or bootleg hehe.

The_Pro
07-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Well for now it would be to make a distinction for the scores that are already up. If anyone finds a real Wonderboy board I wouldn't mind chipping in for it. None on ebay right now though.

07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hello QRS1:

I am fairly sure that based on the reports from the NH crowd, the machine at FS awards a different number of lives than the one we play on MAME. Based on that alone, and the end-game bonus, it's like comparing apples and oranges as the expression goes.

TG cannot discount the scores achieved at FS, and in truth we cannot compare them against others. When Walter comes back, he will be the final call, but it seems to me like we will need a separate category. The question is, what to call it.

Robert

QRS1
07-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Hello QRS1:

I am fairly sure that based on the reports from the NH crowd, the machine at FS awards a different number of lives than the one we play on MAME. Based on that alone, and the end-game bonus, it's like comparing apples and oranges as the expression goes.

TG cannot discount the scores achieved at FS, and in truth we cannot compare them against others. When Walter comes back, he will be the final call, but it seems to me like we will need a separate category. The question is, what to call it.

Robert

Robert:

I'm fully aware that there is a difference from the FS version and mame/other versions. Reread my post and you will see that :)

My point was that FS is probably the only place that has that version of WB and I just think it is weird to track a version that is (most likely) a hack and also very rare. No one else wil be able to beat those scores except playing at FS.

Let me put it like this:

Let's say our arcade had this wonderboy version and we all had a tourney put up some scores etc. After a while TG finds out that it is not a version to compare with the "ordinary" versions at funspot or the rest of the US. What is the best thing to do? a new category? Just tell the owner that to get the "ordinary" version of the board? I think the latter. What if there is suddenly 3 other versions that will pop up arround that world? Will you start and track these too? Or is this just a rule that goes for funspot games?

I think it is VERY important that scores are tracked on the same base so to speak..

I hope I make myself more clear now :)

07-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi QRS1:

Actually FS doesn't get special treatment except on one title only, which has to be intentional, that title being \"Wheels\" (1st release). That game is designed on coil-based technology and from what I understand, the degredation is constant, which explains why nowadays everone is passing 900 points on the game. In fact I did so myself this past Funspot, which six years ago would have been incredible but now is old hat. So we track this one apart from all others. However, the game is so rare that only FS has one, as it turns out, so no harm done.

FS is a family owned operation. Charging as low as 11 cents a gameplay does not make enough money to fund every purchase they would like or need to make. If a reasonably cheap board becomes available, please inform Gary Vincent, the FS operations manager, and he will see whether it is possible for them to obtain. Optimally someone can donate a boardset to the American Classic Arcade Museum and reap the tax benefit as they are an established NFP.

Robert

The_Pro
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Latest version of MAME (.103) has a new clone of Wonderboy, the system 2 version. Confirmed that this is the one Funspot has, coffee and no extra lives.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Latest version of MAME (.103) has a new clone of Wonderboy, the system 2 version. Confirmed that this is the one Funspot has, coffee and no extra lives.

Oddly enough, I was about to just point this one out myself... it's an intriguing find to say the least.

Methinks it's time to make a new variation to explain this ver as opposed to the others.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

Dav
01-05-2006, 03:16 PM

I wondered if that was the one, glad the mystery is solved. I've had that board for years just never got around to adding it to mame.

cuebert
04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I also have one of these \"EXTREMELY RARE ROM SET\" wonderboy games from sega at home.
There are 3 different pcb styles in the manual.
This pcb that says sega on it can't be that rare. I would like more proof than someones word that this is a hack.
This is the 4th arcade game with this romset I have heard of and have not seen any of the other romsets in an arcade mach.
Locations Cal. extreme, Funspot, Florida, home(all play exactly the same).
Maybe there should be a little more research before a decision is made?
My thoughts. Shawn.