Updated (1/2/18): Call of Duty Flame War & Prank Turns Deadly

TJ Denzer,

December 29, 2017 11:30 AM

Find out how a heated dispute over a Call of Duty wager match resulted in the death of an unrelated man.

According to the LA Times, an arrest has been made regarding the swatting call that led Wichita Police to 28-year-old Andrew Finch's house and ended his life.

Los Angeles resident Tyler Barriss, who went by the online handle SWAuTistic on Twitter, was making incidiary comments when called out on the matter. This led the LA Police to arrest Barris for the making the swatting call. Barriss is a repeat offender of such pranks in the past with a conviction in connection to calling several bomb threats in the past, including one that had the Call of Duty World League Championships evacuated in 2017. 

Besides being vocal on his twitter account in defending himself, Barriss also went into an interview on the DramaAlert YouTube channel where he claimed that though he did, in fact, make the swatting kill that killed Andrew Finch, he himself was not responsible.

25-year-old Tyler Barriss (pictured) is a repeat offender in dangerous
25-year-old Tyler Barriss (pictured) is a repeat offender in dangerous "prank" calls, having called in several bomb threats at events and locations in the past - a crime for which he has been convicted before.

"The call was made by me, but as far as the whole incident, you could point the finger at a few different people," claims Barriss. "You could point the finger at the cop that shot him, you could point the finger at the guy who made the call. You could point the finger at the person that gave the address."

Lisa Finch, mother of Andrew, decried the heavy-handed response from Wichita authorities, claiming her son did not even play video games and had put up no resistance when he was shot.

"What gives the cops the right to open fire?" Lisa Finch asked. "That cop murdered my son over a false report in the first place."

The officer that killed Andrew has since been put on paid administrative leave in the wake of the incident. The charges against Tyler Barriss have not been announced yet, but it remains to be seen if the law will agree with his sentiments of innocence in the swatting of Andrew Finch.

The original article begins here

Many players get heated in the thick of competitive gaming and turn sour and toxic, but one particular case has resulted in the unfortunate death of a man entirely unrelated to the argument, as reported by the Wichita Eagle News.

 It began with a wager match hosted over the UMG Gaming platform where players can bet real world money on matches. Players MiRuHcle and baperizer got into a heated dispute over a small lost wager (reportedly $1.50). The two continued to argue up to the point where they threatened to “swat” one another. Swatting is a particularly malicious prank in which one calls the police in the targeted victim’s area and reports violent crimes in progress in order to get the police to respond with prepared lethal force.

UMG Gaming is a multi-game and multi-console platform that allows players from casual to pro level to create wager matches and tournaments for real money.
UMG Gaming is a multi-game and multi-console platform that allows players from casual to pro level to create wager matches and tournaments for real money.

As the players continued to goad each other on with threats and taunts, MiRuHcle eventually posted a fake home address in Wichita, Kansas and someone called the police to that address, claiming there had been a shooting and were hostages present. The Wichita Police responded to the call at the address around 7PM on December 28. When an unsuspecting 28-year-old Andrew Finch answered the door, he was shot by an officer attending the call. Finch was rushed to the hospital, but eventually pronounced dead. Wichita Police Chief Troy Livingston defended the actions of his officers, citing the seriousness of the claims in the emergency call.

“It was a shooting call involving hostages,” Police Chief Troy Livingston said. “The original call, we were told someone had an argument with their mother and dad was accidentally shot. And now that person was holding mother, brother and sister hostage. We learned through that call that a father was deceased, and had been shot in the head. That was the information we were working off of.”

When the story came to public attention in the Call of Duty community, several people recognized those involved in the dispute and unfortunate prank. FaZe esports team member and Call of Duty pro Thomas "ZooMaa" Paparratto described the alleged swatter as repeat offender when it came to the nefarious prank, having threatened him directly in the past.

At the time of this story, MiRuHcle and baperizer have reportedly deleted social media accounts and gone dark. It remains to be seen if the two will be exposed and/or face justice, but certainly justice is deserved for at least one innocent bystander murdered by a foolish dispute over petty cash.


You need to be logged in to post a comment.

Join us