DrKucho's Feed

DrKucho
03-04-2019 at 01:03 AM
8 Comments
Rate this Entry

Amstrad CPC6128 (new retro pickup)

also got it's monitor but it's green, for a few moments of nostalgia green is cool, but that's it, just a few moments

the problem is these machines need proprietary monitor, and the color one is gonna be hard to find/get for a good price I believe, but I've read somewhere that you can make adaptor for the RGB signal and hook it to a standard SCART input , and I would also need a power supply for the computer, cause amstrad got their power from the monitor itself, weird.

Likesnads, ILLSeaBass, Barthax, RaGe, Marco1019 and 4 others liked this post
Comments
  1. Barthax's Avatar

    RGB to SCART cables are easy to find on eBay for the specific model. If you're in Europe (dunno about elsewhere), finding a device that can accept RGB signal via SCART is a lot more difficult. Devices which accept SCART are typically only engineering for the S-Video / Composite SCART options, not the RGB option. Also, if your display/recoding device is from Asia and accepts RGB-over-SCART, it could have two of the RGB wires the wrong way around as there's two different RGB-over-SCART cabling styles. :P

    LikesDrKucho liked this post
  2. DrKucho's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax
    Devices which accept SCART are typically only engineering for the S-Video / Composite SCART options, not the RGB option.:P


    that sounds weird to me, I have a SCART tv that takes composite and RGB , but not s-video

    LikesBarthax liked this post
  3. Barthax's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKucho



    that sounds weird to me, I have a SCART tv that takes composite and RGB , but not s-video


    I am surprised there's no S-Video support but at least you have the RGB requirement. :)

  4. Barthax's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKucho



    that sounds weird to me, I have a SCART tv that takes composite and RGB , but not s-video


    Second thought: are you referring to the different cabling options of the TV?

    SCART itself carries three different TV signal types - that's to what I was referring.


    Just posting to iron out any misunderstandings on my part.

  5. DrKucho's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax

    Second thought: are you referring to the different cabling options of the TV?

    SCART itself carries three different TV signal types - that's to what I was referring.

    Just posting to iron out any misunderstandings on my part.


    yeah, that's correct SCART is a connector, not a signal spec, I was referring the conector but in the thought that all devices with SCART would support RGB, just recently found out that having a SCART connector doesn't mean your device will support all signals trying to connect my c-64 to that my TV that does not take S-Video... so I understand what you mean when you say a SCART tv might not support RGB, but still I think it's very weird to add a SCART connector to a device that would not support RGB, when can just add RCA for composite and S-Video jack ...

    I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that it sounds weird to me.

    LikesBarthax liked this post
  6. onlyinajeep's Avatar

    Cool Novelties likely has what you need.

    https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/10-amstrad-cpc-pcw


    ThanksDrKucho thanked this post
    LikesBarthax, DrKucho liked this post
  7. DrKucho's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by onlyinajeep

    Cool Novelties likely has what you need.

    https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/10-amstrad-cpc-pcw

    This seems to be the best option https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/amstrad-video-cables/258-amstrad-cpc-464-6128-active-rgb-scart-cable.html

    It seems to have also the power 5v line from the SCART ?! I didn’t know this was posible... but why that female connector?

  8. onlyinajeep's Avatar

    That cable doesn't power the CPC from the TV, it goes between your power source and the CPC. Apparently some TVs need the extra juice.

    From the webpage:
    This version is the "Active" cable tapping into the power from the Amstrad's 5v power adapter (not supplied) to enable better RGB switching on some newer flat panel televisions. Symptoms of poor switching can include: ghosting and shadowing or in extreme cases flickering, a black & white picture or no image at all.

    If you are going to use the floppy drive you will need 12v in addition to the 5v that powers the computer. If you have an Amiga power supply, you can make an adapter. A Mean Well PT-45B or Pt65B will give you what you need also.

    If you swap the floppy with a Gotek, then you just need the 5volts. A Mean Well EPS 15-5 is what I'm using.




    Quote Originally Posted by DrKucho
    This seems to be the best option https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/amstrad-video-cables/258-amstrad-cpc-464-6128-active-rgb-scart-cable.html

    It seems to have also the power 5v line from the SCART ?! I didn’t know this was posible... but why that female connector?

    ThanksDrKucho thanked this post
    LikesDrKucho liked this post
Join us