The first weekend of August is set to be a big month for the fighting game community. Twin Galaxies has an explosive competitive event in the form of the Twin Galaxies Fight Club. What’s more, it’s going down the same weekend as EVO 2018 and EVO attendees won’t have to go far to see the throwdown. It’s right across the street at the Luxor Esports Arena.
Announced on July 30, 2018, the Twin Galaxies Fight Club (TGFC) is set to bring top-tier fighting game masters across various titles together for a special clash in a stacked series of exhibitions. TGFC will take place at the Luxor Esports Arena, starting Saturday, August 4 at 9PM PT and is expected to run until Sunday, August 5 at 3AM PT. Fans can attend in person or watch the action at the Twin Galaxies Live Twitch Channel. For those looking to attend in person, tickets are free and may be reserved through tixr, though any attendee under 17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
At the top of the card is a co-main event featuring a showdown between Dominique “Sonic Fox” McLean and Goichi “GO1” Kishida in Dragon Ball FighterZ, as well as Lee “Infiltration” Seon-Woo and Hajime “Tokido” Taniguchi in Street Fighter V. These two matches alone will be a showcase of nearly unparalleled skill in their respective games, but the rest of the card is equally packed and can be seen below:
- Main Event: Dominique “SonicFox” McLean vs. Goichi “GO1” Kishida (Dragon Ball FighterZ) Casted by Yipes & Chris Matrix
- Co-Main Event: Hajime “Tokido” Taniguchi vs. Lee “Infiltration” Seon-woo (Street Fighter V) Casted by James Chen & Sajam
- The Fight of Legends: Alex Valle vs. John Choi (Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3) Casted by James Chen & Sajam
- Fox Family Feud: Kim “JDCR” Hyun Jin vs. Choi “Saint” Jinwoo (Tekken 7)
- Coastal Rivalry - West vs East: Abraham “GoldenboyNeo” Sotelo vs. Desmond “Xecutioner”Pinkney (Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes) Casted by Yipes, Chris Matrix, & Neo
- Triple-Threat Brawl: Justin Wong vs. Sanford Kelly vs. Michael “YipeS” Mendoza (Marvel vs.Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes) Casted by Yipes, Chris Matrix, & Neo
- Meeting of the Melee Gods: Adam “Armada” Lindgren vs. Joseph “Mang0” Marquez (Super Smash Bros. Melee) Casted by D1 & DJNintendo
- The Great Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Clash: Ryan “Filipino Champ” Ramirez vs. Christopher “NYChrisG” Gonzalez (Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds) Casted by Yipes, Chris Matrix, & Neo
When arranging this Pay-Per-View-esque fight card of FGC legends for the TGFC event, Twin Galaxies Co-Chairman Jace Hall expressed his admiration and enthusiasm for the rivalries in the fighting game community and the amazing stories that often come of them. According to Jace, the goal of the TGFC is to support the fighting game community with an event that would capture the excitement of fans and be produced with the highest quality possible.
“Fan passion in sports is rooted in rivalries, and we aim to bring that level of excitement to the fighting game community with the TGFC,” explained Hall. “For the first time, fights will be regularly curated to ensure viewers get the most compelling and entertaining match-ups possible, which will allow us to reach wider audiences, bring more attention to the incredible talent, and help usher in the next era for fighting game esports.”
The Twin Galaxies organization is no stranger to competition, not only as the world’s foremost scoreboard of video game world records, but also more recently as the driving force behind the H1Z1 Pro League.
With this latest foray into events with the FGC, fighting game players, viewers, and fans worldwide will have plenty to see come August between Twin Galaxies Fight Club and EVO 2018. You can watch for the latest news and info on the TGFC here at Twin Galaxies or follow our coverage on Twitter as the competition plays out. If you'll be in the Vegas area during August 4 or 5 and want to attend, be sure to reserve your tickets soon!