Call of Duty Swatter Charged With 46 New Crimes

Jesse Collins,

October 29, 2018 11:00 AM

The Call of Duty swatter that got someone killed back in December keeps getting charges stacked up against him.

Back in December, an innocent, unsuspecting man was killed by a swat team while a flame war between two gamers raged on. The man that called in the swatting is now being charged with an additional 46 charges on top of the "involuntary manslaughter" charge for the death of Andrew Finch. That's just the tip of the iceberg for this strange story, though.

Everything started on the UMG Gaming platform, where players have the ability to bet real money on competitive gaming matches. Allegedly, a $1.50 bet led two players into an argument which had two players get into a dispute over the lost wager. The argument kept going and eventually had them threatening to "swat" each other. For those that don't know, "swatting" is considered to be a "prank" that has someone call the police in the victim's area and threatens some violent crime. This can be anywhere from a bomb threat to a full home invasion and murder. In any case, the police take all of these threats and call ins seriously and generally send out a swat team, hence the name "swatting".

Source: Krebs on Security
Source: Krebs on Security

Generally when swatting is involved, it's done by some viewer on a live stream to see their handiwork happen live. In the December case, it was in retaliation during an argument, but it turned deadly on someone not even involved. During the fight, one of the people arguing posted their address, which had someone promptly utilize to swat. That's even more unfortunate to know that the address was fake and the police were called to a random address being told that it was, as the Dallas Police Chief Troy Livingston called, a "shooting call involving hostages." The man that opened the door, Andrew Finch, was shot on sight. The caller, Tyler Barriss, was promptly found and arrested.

25 year old Barriss is a serial swatter, having claimed he allegedly hit 100 schools and 10 homes in the past. He had called in a bomb threat in 2016 to an ABC affiliate in Los Angeles. Another call he made involved the Call of Duty World League Championships in 2017 needed to be evacuated for a bomb threat. It turned out all of his bragging caught up with him as 46 additional charges were added from prior offenses. 

These new charges include more bomb threats from Barriss to schools in Ohio, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Nevada. According to Wired, Barriss claims the "evacuated" the schools in particular because some of the students at each were friends of his that play Halo with him and he wanted to give them a day off from school. In addition to more bomb threats and swatting calls, there's a charge for bank fraud. Majority of these were in the four months prior to the infamous December call.

The "involuntary manslaughter" charge has a maximum of 11 years for the sentence, but adding all of these additional charges is bound to amp up the total sentence in the end. He was originally scheduled to appear in court in October, but has been postponed to January 7, 2019. 


You need to be logged in to post a comment.

Join us