This is the [TGTS] Asteroids - 1 ship only variation. Once you lose your 1st ship then your game is over. Please submit your score at that point.
Difficulty: Factory Default
Starting Ships: 3 or 4
Extra ship: Every 10,000 Points
Rom rev 4 only: See Additional info section below on how to verify and prove you are playing on a non-modified Rom revision 4.
Note: The dip switch configuration doesn't make any difference in actual game play.
There is no need to verify dip switch settings on the PCB to verify the score. All can be verified by watching the game play.
Special Note: The TG board of directors has agreed that the technique of shooting down back-to-back command ships at the end of each stage has been deemed legally permissible and is not considered 'point scrabbing', after much consideration. This confirmation of TG's stance on this decision is dated 7/19/02.
How to know and prove you are playing on a non-modified Rom revision 4.
As a side note some boards have been modified to speed up the game play by altering the wiring of a chip on the board, it makes the game harder by 10-20%. This mod is allowed if you want to use it. The modifications that are not allowed are in software or game code, such as mods allowing you to fire 5 bullets at a time instead of 4, being invincible, having less asteroids come out in asteroid fields, score not turning over back to 00 when you reach 100k, etc...
Note: All of the following needs to be true, if 1 is not true you are not playing on an unmodified rom rev 4 and that will disqualify your score.Rom Revision 4 characteristics
1.) Rom rev 4 says '1979 Atari' at the bottom of the title screen, instead of the 'Asteroids by Atari' that was displayed in Revision 1
- 2.) Rom rev 4 only allows you to shoot four shots at any one time or in other words only 4 shots on the screen at 1 time. Some modified roms allow you to shoot more than 4 shots at a time.
- 3.) Rom rev 4 allows a small saucer to fire immediately when entering the playing field
- 4.) Rom rev 4 allows a small saucer to use the “wrap-around” feature. This means any shot that goes past the edge of the screen will reappear on the opposite side traveling the same direction.
- 5.) Rom 4 Eliminated the Rom Revision 1 invulnerability glitch, which allows players to hide the ship in the upper corners of the screen (in the score) and be invulnerable to collisions.
- 6.) Your score must turn over at 100k back to 00. Which resets the flags or counters the rom has, that controls Sluggo (the large ship) and makes it so he may come out again up to a score of 30k.
- 7.) Rom rev 4 prevents the intermittent loss of 3rd initial on 10th highest score.
- 8.) The number of initial large asteroids depends on the round number:
-Round 1: 4
-Round 2: 6
-Round 3: 8
-Round 4: 10
-Round 5 and up: 11