- Must be done on Grand Prix Mode (Training, Single Race or Championship)
- Cutting corners of a track is allowed
- Player may choose any one of the 11 cars in the game and any one of the 22 drivers in the game
- Player may alter the driver name, but not with a cheat code
- Player may freely choose any car Setups and Game Mode settings
- Both Playstation 1/X and Playstation 2 are allowed to be used since the race tracks have in-game timers
- The use of saved Memory Card settings is allowed
The PAL version of this game is titled ''Formula 1 97''. Since this was the first game of the Formula 1 game series to allow the use of analog sticks, player may choose freely to use either analog sticks or the directional buttons. NOTE on saved Memory Card settings: The bonus tracks are unlocked through Championship mode. NOTE on corner cutting: Because of the game mechanics, it is impossible to cut a corner other than at the developers intended spots (grass and dirt areas significantly lower the cars speed, and all speed/time gain is lost).