1 Life Game. Recording ends either when you lose your first life or when the game is completed in accordance with the rules outlined below.
• Your scoring attempts ends when either you lose your first life or when you enter the Final Chamber after Bowser's defeat.
• Going through walls you normally can't go through (such as in Bowser's castle) and the Wall-Jumping tactic are not allowed.
• You may not skip any levels, including fortresses (and their boss, Boom Boom), Hammer Brothers and any other side levels (including the three hand levels in World 8. All Mushroom Houses and Card Games are entirely Optional).
• You are not allowed to use Whistles for any reason and doing so will result in an automatic disqualification.
• Re-Entering the Spiral Palace of World 5 after it has been completed (this is done by using the pipe you come out of in the Sky half of World 5) for any reason will also result in an automatic disqualification.
• Please note, under these Extreme rules with a Single Life, full point pressing is not only permitted but encouraged!
• The maximum score attainable is 9,999,990 points. If you successfully complete the game, you may use your time for the Fastest Full Completion time.
Wall-Jumping is defined as jumping against a wall or pipe in such a manner that a pixel or two of Mario is stuck in the wall or pipe and is able to use that to jump again, far higher then can be done normally.
Mario cannot be made to jump off of a surface that is 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground. Please note this can be further used to also go through solid objects not normally passable as is disallowed.