JJT_Defender's Feed

JJT_Defender
08-01-2021 at 12:30 AM
13 Comments
Rate this Entry

How do you get to be on Twin Galaxies Trading Card?

1. What is needed to be on Twin Galaxies Trading Card?

2. What are qualifications?

3. I see that their are non video game players but game developers and video game room owners.

4. Who do you contact.

Comments
  1. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    Well, they are actually Walter Day trading cards.

    Many people who are on them are or have been members here, but the card themselves aren't connected to the current Admin at TG(...I don't guess...?)

    One of the more recent inclusions of active members was when Walter decided to put the Peer Choice Award winners on them one year, but that was circumstantial, there are, I believe, many other reasons he makes cards, as you said, to honor developers, and even the games themselves, showcase events, etc, etc.

    @Tfried4048 is the one to contact for more information, I am pretty sure.


    Still, honestly, IMO, it just either happens or it doesn't-a card you ask to be on is kinda more like a business card that you could just print up yourself...

    :D


    ThanksJJT_Defender thanked this post
    LikesJJT_Defender, timmell liked this post
  2. robotgreg's Avatar

    I would just send Walter a message and with your gaming prowess I'm sure he would be more than happy to include you on the next set he does.

    I have a card from the first set, number 34 and was invited by Walter to appear on one but it was more because I had got to know him a little from travelling to the annual get together at Funpot in the mid 2000s and had a few scores recorded.

    I don't think there are any specific criteria to qualify, more just to be involved in the gaming scene but if you have records then all the better. As I say you would more be more than worthy to have a card.

    Other closer to Walter may be able to elaborate further but that's my general understanding.

    ThanksJJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likesdedmunds, JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by robotgreg

    I would just send Walter a message and with your gaming prowess I'm sure he would be more than happy to include you on the next set he does.

    I have a card from the first set, number 34 and was invited by Walter to appear on one but it was more because I had got to know him a little from travelling to the annual get together at Funpot in the mid 2000s and had a few scores recorded.

    I don't think there are any specific criteria to qualify, more just to be involved in the gaming scene but if you have records then all the better. As I say you would more be more than worthy to have a card.

    Other closer to Walter may be able to elaborate further but that's my general understanding.


    Baha...

    Hahahaha!!!

    You sure as heck do, don't ya?

    I got a nice random collection from Walter when I was on my card, and I managed to randomly get you, haha!

    I "mark"(with tape on the plastic cardholder sleeves) "people I know", so I got out the tape!!!

    Surely you don't got any left(# 34! Holy Crap!), but if you wanna exchange ones(I'd want it signed, for my "Friend Shelf"), hit me up, I still have a few left!


    Cool Deal, Man, I was SOOOO amused to have your card!!!

    Cheers!!!

    Thanksrobotgreg, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    LikesJJT_Defender liked this post
  4. RedDawn's Avatar

    As Roger said, theyre not Twin Galaxy cards, theyre 'Walter Day' cards.

    " and was invited by Walter to appear on one but it was more because I had got to know him a little "

    From best I can tell, you get on one of Walters cards the same way anyone achieved anything in any of Walters organizations; by being one of Walters cronies.

  5. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by RedDawn

    As Roger said, theyre not Twin Galaxy cards, theyre 'Walter Day' cards.

    " and was invited by Walter to appear on one but it was more because I had got to know him a little "

    From best I can tell, you get on one of Walters cards the same way anyone achieved anything in any of Walters organizations; by being one of Walters cronies.


    Awww-

    I'm just a dude, I don't know anybody, and ain't nobody-

    I was on a card because the community happened to think I was deserving of a particular award(...the big one, IMO, lol!), and the cards happened to be made that particular year. I didn't ask, I was asked.

    I'm "Everybody's Buddy", truly, but also independent in my own sense/thinking, that I'd never be anyone's Cronie...

    ThanksJJT_Defender thanked this post
    LikesJJT_Defender liked this post
  6. RedDawn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco



    Awww-

    I'm just a dude, I don't know anybody, and ain't nobody-

    I was on a card because the community happened to think I was deserving of a particular award(...the big one, IMO, lol!), and the cards happened to be made that particular year. I didn't ask, I was asked.

    I'm "Everybody's Buddy", truly, but also independent in my own sense/thinking, that I'd never be anyone's Cronie...



    'Crony' is a synonym for 'buddy'
    What your talking about is in the past. JJT is asking how to get on a card in the present. In the present its solely up to who is Walters crony.
  7. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    ...

    I'd say Crony would be a synonym with negative connotations, unlike me being as Friendly as I can be to as many people as I can for no real reason whatsoever, but no worries.

    I wasn't confused at all, as to the question JJT was asking either, tbh.

  8. Fly's Avatar

    I got put on another one in 2018 I believe. They didn't ask. I didn't know about it. I saw it at an event or I probably wouldn't have known.

    Fly

    ThanksRogerpoco, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    LikesRogerpoco, JJT_Defender, timmell liked this post
  9. datagod's Avatar

    If you sponsor a card, you can be on a card. A print run costs Walter about $45. He asks for donations to support his project. There are those in the community that have sponsored many cards for others. Others donate their time to help Walter on his project.


  10. datagod's Avatar

    Also, if I ever took a photo of you at an event, there is a good chance it will be used on a trading card. For a few years I was Walter's official photographer. I still am, but I dont' get out much due to current world affairs.

    ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
    LikesRogerpoco, Barthax liked this post
  11. RedDawn's Avatar

    Sorry @Rogerpoco I didnt mean it to like take away from your accomplishments or anything, It's awesome you have a card to commemorate that award. To be honest I'd take a trading card for my Rampage score lol, I even messaged Walter about doing so after my score was validated. I'm sure many of the people on the trading cards deserve them, even sometimes in the case of Walters buddies, Its not that. I view the trading cards a bit like I view his supposed 'Hall of Fame'. The cards suffer from the same cronyism that has affected everything Walters ever done, that is not to say these things are delegitimized by that fact or we wouldn't all be here today, though its an undeniable trait of his organizations, including the card business. I mean just look who is on card #1.


    ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
    LikesRogerpoco, JJT_Defender liked this post
  12. Barthax's Avatar

    I don't think I'm on any but did inquire with Mark Hoff ( @1500points ) way back as he was part of the team working with Walter's process back then (no idea if he still is & it's been a while since I last saw him active on TG). If Mark happens to stop by TG & wants to comment, he's got the tag to highlight this thread. ;)

    (I didn't follow up with Mark as I can't write anything positive about myself for toffee. :P )

    Likesdatagod, JJT_Defender liked this post
  13. Nondrowsy's Avatar

    After I broke the Pole Position 2 records, I reached out to some retro game magazines to see if they had any interest in that as a story of of they even care about arcade wr's anymore. Somebody at one of the magazines asked if I was on a trading card, said no. They must know Walter, Week later got contacted by Walter, he asked for a photo and short bio for the back. I think I donated $25 to the cause, (I like the idea of trading cards) wasn't asked for money, just a donation if you could. I got like 80 of my cards and a bunch of random old ones in the mail. Pretty fun actually.

    LikesJJT_Defender, Rogerpoco liked this post
Join us