JohnnyOlMan's Feed

JohnnyOlMan
05-16-2019 at 11:35 AM
13 Comments
Rate this Entry

Flashback Fridays & "On This Day" Records

Hey all. In case you didn't know (Or maybe you did and I just want to remind!), we're continuing to push new social content that focuses entirely on the community of Twin Galaxies.

We've been doing "On this day" posts to put the highlights on various records recognized in the past. It's been cool because despite the fact that some of you are waaaaaay more active in record pursuits than others (no offense! A record is a record and well achieved!), I don't think we've yet to showcase the same player more than once, so there's fresh and various talent showcased pretty much every time.

I realize some of you may not be into TG's Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and to you I ask, would you like to see the "On this Day" posts on the site? I'm debating whether to put them in Editorial or just come here with Wall Posts to chat about interesting facets of these (I've mentioned my enthusiasm for marathon running using one of the "On this Day"s as a springboard for discussion in the past).

Flashback Fridays in particular is a bit reliant on folks who want to share in their gaming memories, collections, classic machines, events, and more with us. Got an old photograph you want to share? Please! Share it! We'd love to keep doing this as long as we have community members willing to share with us! You can bring them to this thread, or post them up in the original.

Either way, I'm happy to see people digging and engaging with the efforts we've put in on these two fronts. If I can make these better, I would like to, but thank you for your support as well. These things rely on the Twin Galaxies community and they wouldn't exist without the efforts of a lot of amazing people.

~TJ Denzer, EiC - Twin Galaxies

LikesDesidious, datagod liked this post
Comments
  1. Desidious's Avatar

    Anything to help this dying site!

    Thanksdatagod thanked this post
    Likesdatagod liked this post
  2. EVN's Avatar

    You want to "focus on the Community of Twin Galaxies"?

    Why did editorial stop regularly celebrating people's gaming achievements in the newsfeed?

    Likesdatagod, HAN liked this post
  3. JohnnyOlMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN
    You want to "focus on the Community of Twin Galaxies"?
    Why did editorial stop regularly celebrating people's gaming achievements in the newsfeed?
    Yep. That focus is the goal of these efforts. Ultimately, what we were doing before was took a LOT of time and resources. It's not that those stories weren't worth sharing. It's that the way we were going about was just not the most reasonable way to do it, hence the efforts to bring them back in these several new ways which I would like to continue to grow.
    Believe you me, as the one who handled Scoreboard Spotlight and the person behind most of these new initiatives, I want to find that happy, sustainable middle-ground because I believe all of this is important. I'm glad a lot of people seem to enjoy it so far and I want to make it even better.

    LikesDesidious, MyOwnWorstEnemy liked this post
  4. EVN's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyOlMan
    Yep. That focus is the goal of these efforts. Ultimately, what we were doing before was took a LOT of time and resources. It's not that those stories weren't worth sharing. It's that the way we were going about was just not the most reasonable way to do it, hence the efforts to bring them back in these several new ways which I would like to continue to grow. Believe you me, as the one who handled Scoreboard Spotlight and the person behind most of these new initiatives, I want to find that happy, sustainable middle-ground because I believe all of this is important. I'm glad a lot of people seem to enjoy it so far and I want to make it even better.


    Sorry man but I'm not really following your logic.... You talk about time and resources. There's people here putting in months and years working on breaking records (literally the core thing this site is about) and editorial now doesn't do pieces that shout their achievements out in favor of what exactly? A weekly nostalgia piece?


    You want good content that people would like to read? Next time someone breaks an old record, editorial should do some journalism. Reach out to them and interview them about what went into their achievement. That's content people would enjoy.

    ThanksDesidious thanked this post
    LikesDesidious, HAN liked this post
  5. Desidious's Avatar

    I'll say this time and time again.. celebrate the active members of this community. Make folks feel like they belong here and are needed and celebrate their efforts they put towards this place. Positive encourage goes a long ways but the way I see it now.. there is just nothing and people are taking note and silently moving away from this place.


    One editorial person won't save this place but seeing any kind of movement is a good thing and a hell of a lot better than the "coming soon" bullshit.

    LikesMyOwnWorstEnemy, JohnnyOlMan liked this post
  6. Snowflake's Avatar

    honestly, i think its a nice enough effort and a lot sooner would've been great. i just feel so much of tg has been slipping lately -- not even talking about your side on editorial so not your fault -- that alot is too little too late. dont stop trying, i guess its better than nothing, and i'm stil hopeful the main site will become as good as it once was. its just that you're basically trying to supplement tg, but when the thing you're trying to supplement gets worse with each update, well the supplement at best is only as good as the main product


    Thanksdatagod, JohnnyOlMan thanked this post
    Likesdatagod liked this post
  7. datagod's Avatar
    one thing missing from the good old days of the Pete Bouvier era is volunteer team spirit. yes, some referees were corrupt and entered their own scores, but volunteers also managed tournaments, forums, contests, etc. you can get far more community spirit out of volunteers than you can with paid help.
  8. datagod's Avatar

    Twin Galaxies is really living up to its name. In one galaxy there are dedicated hard core gamers who spend hundreds of hours training to break world records, people that enjoy documenting systems and game collections, people who enjoy the community of fellow retro gamers, etc. In the other Galaxy is modern e-sports, news articles about people named Ninja and FooFooBunny, etc. One Galaxy is paid to take care of the other, but on a very tight budget.

    What makes internet communities thrive for years or even decades? FORUMS. A place to discuss interesting topics and to store information for future searches.

    What does Galaxy A (retro gamers) have? No Forum. A simple wall of sorts. WICKED AWESOME methods to upload and adjudicate scores though. This is much appreciated. We have a primitive wiki, but it aint no wikimedia. But no forum, and that is a doozy.

    Galaxy B (e-sports) seems to have been sucked into a black hole, except for the news articles. The God Emperor Jace Hall has gone into hiding.

    How can these two Galaxies continue to co-exist? I don't know, but I am afraid. Very afraid.

    Likeslexmark liked this post
  9. JohnnyOlMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
    honestly, i think its a nice enough effort and a lot sooner would've been great. i just feel so much of tg has been slipping lately -- not even talking about your side on editorial so not your fault -- that alot is too little too late. dont stop trying, i guess its better than nothing, and i'm stil hopeful the main site will become as good as it once was. its just that you're basically trying to supplement tg, but when the thing you're trying to supplement gets worse with each update, well the supplement at best is only as good as the main product
    We certainly won't stop trying to explore the middle ground that's cool to folks on this end in reasonable ways. That's my whole point here. I figured the effort could do with some input to keep it going in the best way we can with what we have.
  10. JohnnyOlMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN
    Sorry man but I'm not really following your logic.... You talk about time and resources. There's people here putting in months and years working on breaking records (literally the core thing this site is about) and editorial now doesn't do pieces that shout their achievements out in favor of what exactly? A weekly nostalgia piece?You want good content that people would like to read? Next time someone breaks an old record, editorial should do some journalism. Reach out to them and interview them about what went into their achievement. That's content people would enjoy.
    There is no tricky logic to it. I know people put in time and effort. That's what the origin of this thread is about - not one "weekly nostalgia piece" but continuing to develop several working ideas in satisfying directions. Your suggestion in the second paragraph is noted. That's pretty much the kind of stuff I'm asking for. Thank you kindly.

  11. The Evener's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyOlMan
    There is no tricky logic to it. I know people put in time and effort. That's what the origin of this thread is about - not one "weekly nostalgia piece" but continuing to develop several working ideas in satisfying directions. Your suggestion in the second paragraph is noted. That's pretty much the kind of stuff I'm asking for. Thank you kindly.

    News pieces on gaming achievements happening at TG would be a great way to get at "low hanging fruit" for sure, and connect with the score chasers on the TGSAP. That's not to say it hasn't happened - I recall Snowflake's Tapper marathon news story, for example - but maybe a weekly piece that picks out one new WR? Easier said than done, I suspect, since I think TG Editorial presumably has guidance about what spaces to cover, and like datagod said, the "twin galaxies" includes the revenue-generating eSports scene that presumably helps support the classic gaming side of things. I really enjoyed the opportunity to submit classic gaming content for publication with the KO7 and DK WR, I definitely hope to pitch something again soon -- just not sure when!

    ThanksJohnnyOlMan thanked this post
    LikesJohnnyOlMan liked this post
  12. Emayl's Avatar

    I would say include those kinds of social media updates right here. I don't personally read the front page at all, and I think a lot of site users are like that. If you provide regular content that interests the readers, they'll stick around. The weekly roundup of scores that TG used to do was a decent idea, and it's not that tough to do. They don't even have to be first-place scores. Just stick with it. TG has had a problem with that in recent times.

    I disagree on using volunteers for whatever reason. Some old refs could be corrupt, yes, but that's not the only problem with it. While many offers to help are from legitimately-concerned, capable users looking to improve the experience for TG members, there are plenty just looking for a little unofficial authority to lord over their fellow members. That's a recipe for divisiveness, which is not what we need. Besides, members here already volunteer their gaming talents, which provides content, and adjudicating services for the site, as well as Wiki content. And really, this is TG's site, they should be providing the services. That includes site programminig, article writing and forum moderation. Speaking of which...

    Forums. Meh. Forums can be a great place for discussion as well as an excellent repository for information. But the TG forums had degenerated so far I don't blame them for closing them. For every occasionally-interesting thread, there was a 20-page drunk-post thread with six people hurling insults at each other. Or another where everyone has a personal bitchfest about people who have nothing to do with TG. There was so much petty BS it made members here look like idiots, and made TG look like a place not worth participating in. Again, the less we have of that, the better. If it can be brought back with an attitude change, I'd be for it. But I'll believe that when I see it.

    Anyway, good to hear TG is still listening. There is a lot of room for improvement. I hope you guys are taking suggestions to heart.

    ThanksJohnnyOlMan thanked this post
    LikesJohnnyOlMan, Snowflake, HAN liked this post
  13. EVN's Avatar

    Not gonna lie: It's very hard to take editorial seriously.

    Nobody considers this a "Satisfying Direction" That's for sure.


    Thanksdatagod thanked this post
    LikesEmayl, HAN, datagod, Blackflag82 liked this post
    Updated 05-21-2019 at 03:10 PM by EVN
Join us