maximumsteve's Feed

maximumsteve
10-14-2019 at 07:13 AM
118 Comments
Rate this Entry

Posting Truth on the Bill Mitchell DK Score Dispute...

I apologize up front for the length of this but it's important for me to share all of this from my own experience and that of my friend David Race from a post he made yesterday regarding the story that Billy Mitchell gave about the alleged "authentic" 1.062 Million DK Game back in 2010 at Boomers here in South Florida and what the real facts are about this event and the absolute contradictions of Bill's story back then and what we have come to know now. In addition to David's assessment, there is the video footage he took of the Big Bang Event at the IVGHOF in 2010 that you can watch attached to this posting.

Carlos Pineiro and myself were also told by Billy in person a year and a half ago, when we were volunteering on his behalf, that a woman from Sebring, FL he knew had video footage and pictures of the whole Mortgage Brokers Event in Orlando when he did his 1.050 million game. He assured us that the pictures and video were "in the mail" being sent to him as evidence on his behalf.
I remember how excited me and Carlos were to hear this news, as at that point we believed him at his word to acquire these all important things to help his cause.
A month later we were still asking him where this footage and photography was.
And now a year and a half later, wouldn't you think that "evidence" like this would have surely been included in his 156 page "Evidence Package" that he sent to TG's attorney??

Their timeline of deflecting stories is running out.
The "Fake" and "Staged" Boomers video that Bill Mitchell and Robert Childs made on Youtube was always recognized by them as legitimate and real UNTIL the dispute took shape and then all of the sudden it was a staged "YouTube" moment.

Then the tapes were tampered with by Dwyane Richard, until the 2006 MTV Footage with Robert Mruzcak surfaced and showed the KOK 1.047 game with the wrong orientation that was at least 3 years predating anything to do with Richard. There is also footage of that same game being displayed at a event in the U.K. in 2005 that there is footage of.

Next it will be that he didn't know he was playing on emulated equipment. You may ask why I care so much about this?

As a legitimate Guinness and TG World Record Holder(Mario Bros.) I value the integrity of the scoreboard and know how hard it is to achieve a world record on these classic games.

OH Btw, on this footage of the 1.062 game at the IVGHOF, you can see the Donkey Kong game on the TV to the right of Bill. If you zoom in, pause, and move frame by frame, you will see the "3 Girders" starting the barrel board as exhibited on the other two games of footage(KOK 1.047 and Mortgage Brokers Convention 1.050). And Now from David Race...

" I remember hearing Billy say at the Big Bang in 2010, “There were scores of people, maybe as much as a hundred people at times behind ya. They had their cell phones and videos. So the word of it leaked out to some degree one way or another.”

( https://youtu.be/l-LRptUQwFE 5:30-5:40)

I remember being contacted by Billy(April 19, 2018) and Rob(April 20, 2018) about an investigative reporter named Dan Sweeney who I was told they were working with. I remember being contacted by Mr. Sweeney and I spoke with him on April 23, 2018. A few days earlier(April 20, 2018) he had put out an article titled, “Video game champ Billy Mitchell fighting back after being stripped of record scores”.

(https://www.sun-sentinel.com/…/fl-reg-mitchell-follow-20180…)

At the end of that piece, he wrote, “If you recall Mitchell’s record-setting run in 2010 at Boomers in Dania Beach, contact [email]dsweeney @Daniel _Sweeney.”

After the “Billy Mitchell Evidence Package” was made public I e-mailed Mr. Sweeney on September 19, 2019 and asked if anyone had come forward with recollections of Billy’s game at Boomers in 2010. I was told that he spent weeks trying to confirm Billy’s side of the story through independent sources, but was unable. He was also told that there was video out there but was never able to find it. He even reached out to Palace Entertainment, who owned Boomers at the time, but to no avail.

When someone says that there was up to a hundred people, some with cell phones and video, it is more than reasonable to ask for proof. Simply stating it, does not serve as proof. I have been told by Rob Childs on more than one occasion that he has tons of video and pictures of this event but that they were on one of his laptops or hard drives and doesn’t have the time to find them. I informed Billy of what Rob told me and that if true he needed to light a fire under him because if there was such a plethora of video evidence that could vindicate him, there certainly is NO excuse why it hasn’t surfaced. One cannot simply pass the buck and try to shift the blame or offer excuses when such evidence could be seen as vital to Billy’s defense. I can only surmise that anything Rob has must not be that important, otherwise, Billy would have been all over it.

As of right now, there is no independent evidence that Billy even played DK or DK Jr on July 30, 2010, and the fact there are staged/faked videos featuring Rob Childs and Todd Rogers doesn’t help in establishing such a claim. Some of the signed statements in the evidence package have already been shown to contain false statements. Given this, the statements signed in relation to the Boomers score should also be viewed with suspicion. Please remember if this dispute makes its way to court, all those witnesses may have to testify and be cross-examined under oath.

I have heard in conversations with Billy statements like, “Rob is incapable of lying” or that he doesn’t know how to lie, or words to that effect. I know that ALL of us are capable of lying, so I am not impressed when I hear something like that. I have heard both Rob and Billy offer to take a lie detector test. That is the reason why in my “Initial Assessment”, of September 2, 2018, I strongly suggested to Jerry Byrum, president of the IVGHOF, that “a polygraph examination be scheduled for each individual at different times and at different locations”.

Recently(October 8, 2019), I sent the following to Mr. Byrum, “I was wondering if the IVGHOF had decided to set up polygraph exams for Billy Mitchell and Rob Childs? The last thing I heard from Billy is that they were still willing. I was told that they knew someone who could conduct the tests. This, however, would be unacceptable. If done, the tests would have to be conducted separately and at different times with the other one not present or in contact with the other. The examiners also would have to be chosen by an independent 3rd party. I haven't heard anything related to my assessment and recommendation coming out of the IVGHOF since I presented it to you on September 2, 2018. Has a decision been made, or will it be made soon with respect to the concerns about Billy Mitchell?”

The response I received from Jerry was that the Hall of Fame has no intention of setting up such tests for Billy of anyone else and that he has not seen anything conclusive that would prove guilt.

This was part of my response, “I didn't ask you to adjudicate gameplay or scores. I asked if a decision had been made with respect to Billy Mitchell. Forgive me Jerry, but the impression you gave me on the phone and what was posted on the IVGHOF facebook page was that an independent investigation was being pursued in order to make a decision regarding Billy and others with respect to Hall of Fame eligibility. That is certainly within the scope and power of the IVGHOF. I mentioned the polygraph tests because both Billy and Rob have stated they would be willing to take one. In my initial assessment I made a suggestion that this should be done. Even before that I messaged you about the subject along with a link to sites where exams could be scheduled. You didn't respond with any concerns about this or anything mentioned in my assessment until now. It has been over a year since you acknowledged receipt of it. The last message I got from you was from the end of November where you said you thought it was time to issue a statement and press release. This was in response to me asking about the Billy Mitchell situation. Did I miss something? Did you issue a press release and statement regarding this matter? If so, I don't remember seeing it, or being notified.

As far as polygraphs are concerned, if the IVGHOF has no interest in this, I would be willing to schedule and pay for them myself. That would mean, however, the IVGHOF would not be involved and no input from the organization would be considered. I would be the one who determines where and when each one would be conducted along with the list of questions provided to the examiner(s).

Jerry, I know the IVGHOF was under no obligation to investigate anything. I am just wondering why you took the course you did? You contacted me and then posted that you were working with an independent 3rd party. Was this all just for appearances or show? After all, none of this had to be done.

With that being said, I still want to know the truth. I don't think Billy or Rob would ever take a polygraph test, unless of course, they had a say in how it was conducted and by who. I take any statement indicating their willingness to take a lie detector test as a meaningless gesture. Essentially, I am calling their bluff. I will be making a public statement echoing these sentiments.”

Yes, I am offering to pay for polygraph examinations for both Billy Mitchell and Rob Childs. If they are willing to take me up on this offer, it will be in accordance with MY terms, not their own. This means I will be the one scheduling everything, including the examiner, questions, time and place. The site of the exam(s) will be in Ohio within driving distance of where I live. A deposit from each individual would first be required to assure that they follow through and actually take the test. Only after they have completed their exams will the respective deposits be returned to them. I will be sending a text message to both parties informing them of my offer. Any telephone call from either party will be recorded. This notification will also be included in the aforementioned text message. Any call received after notification will be taken as implied consent.

In the EGM article titled “The Split-Screen Man” Josh Harmon relates his interaction with Richie Knucklez, “Despite his unwavering public support, Knucklez also told me that he hasn’t always been convinced of Mitchell’s innocence. Uncertainty crept in when Mitchell was unable to replicate his Boomers stunt—by matching the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. scores in a single day—in the months following the verdict. ‘Since then he’s playing like crazy, and he cannot duplicate the one-day thing. He’s been at my place playing and he can’t do it again. So part of me kind of thinks that he cheated,’ Knucklez told me.

A heart-to-heart with Mitchell tempered those doubts. ‘I said, ‘Even if you tell me the truth, man, I swear to God I will keep it to my grave.’ He looked me in the eye and he almost got teary. He got choked up. He’s like, ‘Richie, you don’t believe in me.’ I go, ‘I believe in you. Just the evidence is too strong against you. Please be honest with me.’ And he looked at me and he said, ‘It’s the last time we’re going to talk about this.’ And he got choked up and he’s like, ‘You’re one of my best friends, if not my best friend. I would never let you risk your reputation on me going down.’

‘And that’s all I had to hear, because you think about it: He’s putting me out there as a shield, and if he goes down I go down, and I have a business. I make a living doing this. So he said, ‘I would never do that to you because your little girl would suffer if that happened to you.’

‘I thought about it. What kind of man would let me go down that hard?’

(https://egmnow.com/the-split-screen-man/)

Unfortunately, it is fairly common for certain people. Playing on one’s emotions and using what a person values most – a parent or child- is often employed in order to manipulate another. Think about how many times you have heard someone in real life or on TV or film swear that they were telling the truth, going even so far as to invoke the life of their mother or daughter, just to find out that they were lying the whole time. Such manipulative tactics have been referred to as “gaslighting”. The term derives its name from “Gaslight” the name of a play and film adaptations in the early 20th century.

The following is from a Psychology Today article, “As in the movie, the perpetrator often acts concerned and kind to dispel suspicions. Someone capable of persistent lying and manipulation is also quite capable of being charming and seductive. Often the relationship begins that way. When the gaslighting starts, you might even feel guilty for doubting a person you’ve come to trust. To further play with your mind, an abuser might offer evidence to show that you’re wrong or question your memory or senses. More justification and explanation, including expressions of love and flattery, are concocted to confuse you and reason away any discrepancies in the liar’s story. You get temporary reassurance, but you increasingly doubt your own senses, ignore your gut, and become more confused."

(https://www.psychologytoday.com/…/how-know-if-youre-victim-…)

Wikipedia begins its definition of “Gaslighting” this way, “Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim’s belief.”

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting)

See also, “Dorpat, T. L. (1994). On the double whammy and gaslighting. Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy, 11(1), 91-96.
Abstract
Uses illustrations taken from everyday life and the psychotherapy situation to describe the double whammy (DW), a type of gaslighting. In gaslighting, 1 individual by projective identification attempts to cause another individual to doubt his/her own judgments and perceptions. The basic pattern of the DW includes a verbal attack on the victim; the victim's response; and a gaslighting intervention in which the victimizer attacks the victim's judgments, perception, or reality-testing. A major and probably universal motive for the DW is the victimizer's need to regulate his/her feeling states by controlling interactions with other individuals. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)”
(https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1995-25157-001)

I now believe this whole drawn-out thing has been an elaborate exercise in gaslighting a certain section of the classic arcade community. I don’t take kindly to being lied to. If I believe there is good evidence that someone is trying to lead me on or manipulate me in such a way, I’m not going to put up with it. Sure, we are all susceptible, but after admitting it, do you just sit quiet or do you do something? Well, this is me doing something.

The more assurances I and others were given with respect to the games and events under discussion, the more questions it raised. When someone tells you that there was a video of the board being hooked up, but can offer no actual proof, not even incidental images or videos from 3rd party eventgoers, then one cannot be blamed for doubting and questioning the reliability of such statements. Even the so-called witnesses to the games in questions either can’t or won’t produce any pics or video they may have taken. If not cell phones, digital cameras were ubiquitous during the time spanning from 2004-2010. And to reiterate, Rob Childs has said that he has TONS of pictures and video, but hasn’t been able to produce anything except the staged videos, which only served as fire for this whole controverted dispute.

I assumed that when all of the witnesses came forth, we would have pictures and videos which they would provide. Has anyone seen a single picture of the Mortgage Brokers event with Billy Mitchell playing Donkey Kong? Please, I am willing to be corrected. I want to see it. Instead, all we have are written statements, most of which appear to have been crafted for the “witnesses” to sign. On top of that, when I discovered that false statements had been inserted concerning Billy’s perfect Pac-Man which certain people, including Billy himself, swore to be true, how seriously should any of this be taken, really? I believe anything forthcoming from Billy Mitchell warrants serious skepticism. I can no longer give Billy the benefit of the doubt, and he only has himself to blame for that."

ThanksNinglendo, The Evener thanked this post
LikesMuerto liked this post
Comments
  1. Snowflake's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag82


    Yeah, he said he could make it so the car was already in gear when the timer went off which is how he supposedly beat the Activision model of 5.54. Though it's hard to know if the 5.54 "computer generated" time was real or an invention of Todd's created after the fact. Though on the spreadsheet Omnigamer created there was a way to hit 5.54 if you overlooked one of the things in the coding (can't remember what it was, but it was something that could have possibly been overlooked had a similar model been created by activision).

    But ultimately, you don't use your programmers to investivate the guy you're paying to sell more games, you use them to make more games.


    going off memory here, so no links, and forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe its more than just todds word. i believe there was an official statement 5.54 was the best time. but the wording on "computer generated" or whatever was vauge enough, that we dont know exactly what that entails. Did they just come up with a formula they thought was best, punch that into a computer and get a time? did they just use a computer to shift at when they thought was the best time -- so computer controleld in that sense -- programmed to be frame perfrect, but since the programmers chose the frame, the shifting was as gooas as though?

    its hard to believe they truly had a computer play the game get the 5.54. so it seems more likely they just programmed some formula to determine best time and had a computer crunch the numbers.

  2. Blackflag82's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake



    going off memory here, so no links, and forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe its more than just todds word. i believe there was an official statement 5.54 was the best time. but the wording on "computer generated" or whatever was vauge enough, that we dont know exactly what that entails. Did they just come up with a formula they thought was best, punch that into a computer and get a time? did they just use a computer to shift at when they thought was the best time -- so computer controleld in that sense -- programmed to be frame perfrect, but since the programmers chose the frame, the shifting was as gooas as though?

    its hard to believe they truly had a computer play the game get the 5.54. so it seems more likely they just programmed some formula to determine best time and had a computer crunch the numbers.


    You may be correct about it being more than Todd's word. I have vague recollection of "something" being said by activision, but I remember thinking during all of the dispute that it could have been that years later that Todd could have made up the story, some one asked and David Crane said "if Todd says that's what happened than it is" and then that was the "official" statement. I don't recall seeing anything from the period (pre 1987 lets say) that was from Activision saying they had generated a model, but if someone has reference to that in a magazine or something, I'd love to see it

  3. Marcade's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo

    The Billy situation has come and gone. It's over. Billy and his team aren't going to sue TG or anything like that. The evidence package and legal threats were just a last ditch effort to garner attention. If people really don't like him and what he had done then I think the best course of action is just to stop talking about it. Don't give him the attention he craves. He was caught cheating and was dealt with so it's in the past now. We still have cheaters on this site submitting scores and we have cheaters that were never dealt with properly after cheating on their TGSAP submissions. If you guys wanna grab the pitchforks and torches I would start there now.

    Ninglendo??? Who are you???

    Glenesis for commissioner 2020 ! (Sorry Sroka).

    Likesdatagod liked this post
  4. Marcade's Avatar
    Updated 10-15-2019 at 12:11 PM by Marcade
  5. Blackflag82's Avatar

    Wabbit is all fine and dandy, but I want to talk about his Taz score

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  6. Ninglendo's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade


    Ninglendo??? Who are you???

    Glenesis for commissioner 2020 ! (Sorry Sroka).

    Sorry, but at this time that would never happen. TG now days only puts people in charge that don't have basic knowledge of games and gaming platforms. Hence why obvious disputes and obvious rule changes were never handled properly. Some dispute decisions were made into complete jokes like Contra 3 and Robotron. I still get a good laugh and a cringe when I see the "Score Stitching Allowed" track. So with that being said Sroka has no chance either.
    LikesMarcade liked this post
  7. Snowflake's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag82

    Wabbit is all fine and dandy, but I want to talk about his Taz score

    he got you there cohen, you argued with me a little on that one ;) but thats ok, sometimes wording is complex. in the end everyone figured it all out

    wabbit was so interesting though because it showed how todd got these scores through. you got referee testimony about how when finding impossible scores we should just "round" them and turn them into possible ones. i think that dialog does alot to explain how so many bad scores got in the database and stayed there

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  8. Marcade's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag82

    Wabbit is all fine and dandy, but I want to talk about his Taz score


    Here you go... Looney Toons at its finest!

    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/179168-Dispute-Marc-Cohen-Atari-2600-VCS-Taz-NTSC-Game-1-Difficulty-B-Player-Todd-Rogers-Score-999-900?fbclid=IwAR1NlzzOt0A5VQuW5_145eJ7Zu0HJDUWMy5RE izfNae4oncoNaW7y5OCgc8

  9. D.B. Cooper's Avatar

    I just want to make a comment about the popularity of DK. Maybe some of you weren't around in 1981 when this game came out but it was easily the most popular game in the arcade. The character Jumpman (later to be known as Mario) is probably still the most famous character in the history of video games. You can argue all you want about how good the gameplay is but make no mistake about the fact that even before KOK, it was one of the most well know games ever. Pac Man could probably give it a run for it's money but that's about it.


    There are those that have cheated and have admitted their mistakes and everyone moves on. Then there are people like Billy and Lance (the bicycle guy) who continued to lie even after being caught and those actions not only make themselves look bad but are hurting other people. And some of those people are their friends and family. It doesn't matter that their actions never cost me any fame or fortune. When you do that, the hate will be strong and it is well deserved.

    LikesMarcade liked this post
  10. D.B. Cooper's Avatar

    I found this.



    It cannot be overstated how important Donkey Kong is to video games as a whole. Nintendo’s popular arcade classic not only pretty much invented the platforming genre, it also helped Nintendo break into the American gaming market. This was also the first game created by legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto, who would go on to create both Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda, just to name a few.

    Upon its release, Donkey Kong looked quite unique next to many of its contemporaries, as space shooters and maze-chase games were the most common genres of the era. They didn’t realize it at the time, but players were seeing gaming history being written with Donkey Kong, as both its eponymous ape and the game’s hero Jumpman — who would later come to be known as Mario — would go on to become two of the most popular characters in video game history. It’s little surprise then that Donkey Kong would become one of the best-selling arcade games ever, with a whopping 132,000 cabinets sold. The game would also become a favorite among high score chasers, with a documentary film highlighting a particularly intense rivalry called The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters being released in 2007.


  11. Snowflake's Avatar

    i think maybe my comment was taken to strong in the other direction. i compared it to games like centipede and dig dug for examle. i'm not saying donkey kong would've been unknown wihtout kok. it was huge when it came out -- many games were huge when they first came out. and it continues to be remembered -- many games continue to be remembered. however, despite all the accolades it deserves i really feel kok pushed it even further than it would've been otherwise.

    for example, i would expect donkey kong to show up in many tournaments. however, do you really think there'd be a yearly competition where thats the sole game in the event if not for kok?

  12. The Evener's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper

    I just want to make a comment about the popularity of DK. Maybe some of you weren't around in 1981 when this game came out but it was easily the most popular game in the arcade. The character Jumpman (later to be known as Mario) is probably still the most famous character in the history of video games. You can argue all you want about how good the gameplay is but make no mistake about the fact that even before KOK, it was one of the most well know games ever. Pac Man could probably give it a run for it's money but that's about it.

    I suppose one could measure the impact of an arcade game by unit sales, merch/spin-offs, etc, but if we're talking cultural influence, I'd have to give Super Mario Bros a far bigger role in the immortalization of Mario as a key video game cultural icon.

    Just reflecting on my time in the arcade, DK did not receive all that much love in terms of serving as one of those "show off" games. People regularly gathered around players showing their might on Defender and Stargate, Robotron would be up there as well, and perhaps Centipede to a lesser degree. Then there was Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, but those games are a different kettle of fish, game play wise. The overall point I think that others have raised here is that DK was not held up in their own experience as a premiere title for high score competition - that largely came about in the 21st century due to King of Kong and the spin-off effect for Kong Off competitions.

    LikesSnowflake, datagod liked this post
  13. datagod's Avatar

    Crazy Kong was big when I was in the local arcades, only because that was what the owners had on their route. The same cocktail game was rotated amongst 5 locations. I never even saw a real Donkey Kong machine until a few years later (mid 80's) and I didn't like it at all. I thought the sounds were way off. Heeyah! I love Crazy Kong sounds, but the colors now look weird.

    Super Mario Brothers is what cemented Mario's place in video game history.

  14. D.B. Cooper's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener


    I suppose one could measure the impact of an arcade game by unit sales, merch/spin-offs, etc, but if we're talking cultural influence, I'd have to give Super Mario Bros a far bigger role in the immortalization of Mario as a key video game cultural icon.

    Just reflecting on my time in the arcade, DK did not receive all that much love in terms of serving as one of those "show off" games. People regularly gathered around players showing their might on Defender and Stargate, Robotron would be up there as well, and perhaps Centipede to a lesser degree. Then there was Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, but those games are a different kettle of fish, game play wise. The overall point I think that others have raised here is that DK was not held up in their own experience as a premiere title for high score competition - that largely came about in the 21st century due to King of Kong and the spin-off effect for Kong Off competitions.


    Here is one way I'd measure cultural influence. Find a random 12 or 13 year old and ask them if they've heard of Donkey Kong. You will find a lot of kids who know of DK, Pac Man and even Frogger. Ask them about Defender, Stargate, Centipede, Dig Dug, Dragon's lair etc and you will just get a blank stare. And there is no Super Mario without DK.


    Anyways, I didn't mean to turn this into an argument over the popularity of DK. I'm not even a huge fan of the game but I call it like I see it. When it came out there was nothing like it. It's stood the test of time and the reason they can have an event with just the one game is because it's great for high score competition. People make the argument that KOK couldn't happen without a character like Billy. I'd make the argument that it also could never happen without the right game for a high score controversy. It was the perfect storm and it was beautiful.

  15. Snowflake's Avatar

    I think we're all arguing simliar and intersecting points but at the same time not quite on the same point. I'm not seeing anyting i disagree with, so much as i think the counter points arent fully getting my point. i do agree though its off topic. also, any of my point around "this is only true cause of x" or "this wouldnt have happened without x" is admittedly tough cause who can really say what would happen if you change the past.


    side not on asking kids about frogger. Its amusing, and simultaneously annoying when kids see frogger and refer to it as a crossy road rip off.

    I was surprised my cousins kid new tapper though, and you know why? cause of wreck it ralph. one movie really can change how well known a game is.

    LikesD.B. Cooper liked this post
  16. Marcade's Avatar

    Is it REAL? or is it MAME?


    Some other vintage Video game stuff...

    ThanksThe Evener thanked this post
    Updated 10-15-2019 at 05:07 PM by Marcade
  17. maximumsteve's Avatar

    A screen shot from a video taken at the Classic Gaming Expo UK(CGEUK) 2005. This was on Saturday, August 13, 2005. The 1,047,200 DK game can be seen exhibited between 20 and 26 seconds into the video.
    So more evidence and footage dating back even before the 2006 MTV footage with Robert T Mruczek again showing the wrong orientation, etc.. Who travels to another country, brings and exhibits this game, but doesn't want to submit it to the TG Scoreboard?? as claimed in his "evidence" package.

    https://youtu.be/c8ZmhLNmklA

    ThanksThe Evener thanked this post
  18. The Evener's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by maximumsteve

    A screen shot from a video taken at the Classic Gaming Expo UK(CGEUK) 2005. This was on Saturday, August 13, 2005. The 1,047,200 DK game can be seen exhibited between 20 and 26 seconds into the video.
    So more evidence and footage dating back even before the 2006 MTV footage with Robert T Mruczek again showing the wrong orientation, etc.. Who travels to another country, brings and exhibits this game, but doesn't want to submit it to the TG Scoreboard?? as claimed in his "evidence" package.

    https://youtu.be/c8ZmhLNmklA

    I've been having a bit of fun with Mitchell's claim, but fun aside, the claim is really an outrage for a whole host of reasons. At base, it's such an insulting and stupid claim, you feel downright dirty for even addressing it, since in doing so one has to worry that someone coming across Mitchell for the first time might get the impression that it has a shred of truth, which it doesn't. First and foremost, it's the ultimate insult to the collective intelligence of humanity and 12 years of intervening history since everything about the "Mitchell legend" originates with that film and that moment when he eclipses Wiebe with the 1.047 million tape submission. Take that moment away as a "mistaken validation" as he's doing with the Evidence Package, and really you have no King of Kong, no legend, no Mitchell. All you'd have is the pre-KoK Mitchell, where he was still trying to leverage fading attention around his Perfect Pac-Man fame in a field where his fastest completion was already eclipsed in a matter of weeks after his perfect game, beginning with Fothergill's fastest time in July 1999. And with that Mitchell, that persona had very little in the way of broader visibility with the wider public. KoK and his 1.047 million submission at the heart of that film changed everything for him.

    Now maybe Mitchell is being practical here, because when you re-watch King of Kong today and spot that incorrectly rotated TV, and when you know everything we know now, Mitchell basically ends up in the same spot - no King of Kong, no legend, no Mitchell. But still, if you're going to build your entire contemporary persona around a single cinematic moment of high score bravado, you think he'd have the common decency to defend that catalyst for fame come hell or high water. Apparently, Mitchell believes that the fame he enjoys today has transcended the King of Kong film - but all you have to do is read the tweets of his followers to realize that no, he hasn't. It all comes back to that tape, that score, that world record.

    Thanks again for sharing your commentary and reflections - I think it remains important to document the scope of the changing stories and unfulfilled promises of forthcoming evidence from Mitchell, Childs, et al., as it goes directly to the issue of credibility and honesty around their claims.

    Likesmaximumsteve liked this post
    Updated 10-16-2019 at 10:28 AM by The Evener
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Join us