Pixe Sukola's Feed

Pixe Sukola
10-30-2018 at 04:23 PM
14 Comments
Rate this Entry

That's one small step for Wii games, one giant leap for TGSAP

So the first submission on Nintendo Wii loading a game from USB has been accepted. What a glorious day. I'm really excited about it and I want to thank Rew Anderson, Rage and all the people who voted for making this a reality.


I did a little more research into the cheating aspect and I made this short video with info that can be important when it comes to this type of submissions.



Comments
  1. starcrytas's Avatar

    Would Japanese and PAL exclusive games be allowed to be played on an NTSC-U Wii or just stick to the region the Wii is?

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
  2. thegamer1185's Avatar

    So does this mean that I can now play my Everdrive cartridges on my amazing third party Analogue consoles and have them accepted. Because what this tells me is that it doesn't matter where the game comes from as long as the console runs them the same. Because you can't tell me a Wii doesn't have many different components than a Gamecube.


    I'm not complaining, I'm excited I can now have very clear video submissions because I can play my stuff on my HD TV instead of a tube tv.


    Somehow I have a feeling I'm wrong.

  3. thegamer1185's Avatar

    I am of course just stirring the pot on something I've been pushing for people to check out. Analogue consoles are amazing.

  4. sdwyer138's Avatar

    This is good news. I'm still wondering how the community would react to playing a JP Dreamcast/Saturn/PS game on a US system using an Action Replay to bypass the region lock

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
    Likesthegamer1185 liked this post
  5. xcess dead rew's Avatar

    Thank you so much for the info. I had no idea there was a way for cheats. I really haven't explored the software beyond getting games to work. Definitely adding this step to my system verification in my next submissions.

  6. GibGirl's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185

    So does this mean that I can now play my Everdrive cartridges on my amazing third party Analogue consoles and have them accepted. Because what this tells me is that it doesn't matter where the game comes from as long as the console runs them the same. Because you can't tell me a Wii doesn't have many different components than a Gamecube.


    I'm not complaining, I'm excited I can now have very clear video submissions because I can play my stuff on my HD TV instead of a tube tv.


    Somehow I have a feeling I'm wrong.


    I'd love to see someone make such a submission and actually put TG to the test. I'd love to see them accepted.

    Likesthegamer1185 liked this post
  7. xcess dead rew's Avatar

    The analogue's look interesting. Are they 100% accurate to a SNES? I've heard of those aftermarket systems actually playing games "better" ie no lag like on a SNES. But I believe that was in reference to a Retron. These Analouge Super NT things look...well...lets just say if they count as a SNES I'd consider getting one.

  8. thegamer1185's Avatar

    They are frickin amazing. You should check out there site. It's got a great info section about what they do and how they do it. You can play home brew stuff, you can load an SD card with games and play from that. The video quality is hd. I love them and they are 100 percent accurate. They just finished a genesis. Pre-order stages now.

  9. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Also, anaologue makes it very clear they aren't emulating games. That's why I think they should count for submission. It's a perfect reverse engineered clone from the original with upgrades.

  10. RaGe's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138

    This is good news. I'm still wondering how the community would react to playing a JP Dreamcast/Saturn/PS game on a US system using an Action Replay to bypass the region lock

    Japanese games are NTSC, so it's not an issue. My Saturn "Digital Pinball 2" submission in the queue right now does exactly that..It's a Japan-only game and I used my Action Replay (converted to play copied games) to play the copied game on my NTSC console.


    It's not even an issue with PAL games, since the PAL game will run according to the NTSC console, at 60hz.

  11. GibGirl's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185

    They are frickin amazing. You should check out there site. It's got a great info section about what they do and how they do it. You can play home brew stuff, you can load an SD card with games and play from that. The video quality is hd. I love them and they are 100 percent accurate. They just finished a genesis. Pre-order stages now.


    I believe it's been demonstrated that the Super NT, at least in one video mode, is a tiny percent off the frame rate of the original SNES. The Super NT runs at 60Hz, while the SNES runs at something like 60.09Hz. This would come into play if you were timing a long speed run - making the Super NT just a bit slower in the end.


    Now, being a reverse engineered re-implementation of the system's processors in a FPGA does mean there's still potential for differences in functionality that could have an impact on gameplay. But then again, we've seen revisions of actual original consoles cause problems in games too - I believe there are some Genesis games that don't even work on a Genesis 3.


    I'd put them into the allowed bucket, leaving open the door for individual titles that demonstrate deviations to be disallowed until there's an update to the core that fixes it.

    Likesthegamer1185, sdwyer138 liked this post
  12. thegamer1185's Avatar

    Exactly. It's no different than buying duplicates of anything. Vehicles, leaf blowers, computers. They could all be built identical and with the exact same components but we all know they don't ever run the same. And we are getting more and more instances where things are being allowed. Flash carts are allowed, doubt they ever would have been in the early stages of gaming. Only a matter of time.


    And I think you are correct the Super NT runs at exactly 60 fps and the Snes runs slightly faster. Can't remember if it was how things needed to be processed, but I think you are correct. The Analogue NT though I believe they nailed that perfectly.

  13. xcess dead rew's Avatar

    Since there's a finite number of original consoles and games made, EVENTUALLY we'll all have to move to remade stuff/emulators. Yay for more games in more people's hands, but boo to losing the originals.

    Likesthegamer1185, starcrytas liked this post
  14. Snowflake's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by xcess dead rew

    Since there's a finite number of original consoles and games made, EVENTUALLY we'll all have to move to remade stuff/emulators. Yay for more games in more people's hands, but boo to losing the originals.


    This is true but I think we have longer than people think. Consider how incredible rare arcades are. Only a few copies of each machine per city if any whereas consoles could exist in the thousands to millions in each city. Yet people are still able to find arcades to play on. Also as a collector I’ve seen even “rare” systems are often quite affordable. The best players are often so good cause it’s their passion and since it’s theur passion they’re normally willing to pay. I have no doubt top players will be able to access stuff for prices they don’t mind long after our life times. Casual players may face a little more difficulty but even still with some effort I think they’ll be able to find a way to play their favorites.


    Not arguing we should ditch emu. Just saying don’t get to depressed about consoles disappearing

Join us