Pixe Sukola's Feed

Pixe Sukola
01-02-2019 at 03:07 PM
8 Comments
Rate this Entry

New to MAME

I downloaded WolfMAME a couple of hour ago and the snow bros rom, and I submitted a test score.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/197610-M-A-M-E-Snow-Bros-Nick-amp-Tom-set-1-Points-Single-Player-Only-468-210-Daniel-Ocampo


I havent messed around with the settings(and I dont really want to, it looks exhausting) other than the inputs to play with my PS4 controller, and I recorded an INP of a trial run. Can any experts tell me if I did it correctly?


Also, the rules say 3 lives, normal dificulty, I didnt changed anything in the game options, even if I dont show them in the video, the dip siwtches info is in the inp and it does show in the inp analysis right?


Thanks for your help.

LikesRagequit liked this post
Comments
  1. JasonV91's Avatar

    Hi Daniel - I just ran the analysis of your .inp, and everything looks good. There were 2 settings you left at default that don't match the rule set, but they also don't affect gameplay, so this will most likely not cause any issues for the majority of adjudicators.


    That being said, you should do your best to make sure every DIP setting exactly matches the rules...the good news is this is anything but exhausting, it's very easy! When you've started your recording, press Tab to bring up the menu, then select "Dip Switches" and hit enter. Check the settings listed with those in the rules - for any DIP that needs to be changed, just use the left and right arrows to change the setting...when they are configured correctly, just select "Reset" within that same menu, and a new recording will start with the same name you gave the original one, but now with all the new settings...that's it!


    If you need any other help, feel free to ask...good luck!

  2. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonV91

    Hi Daniel - I just ran the analysis of your .inp, and everything looks good. There were 2 settings you left at default that don't match the rule set, but they also don't affect gameplay, so this will most likely not cause any issues for the majority of adjudicators.


    That being said, you should do your best to make sure every DIP setting exactly matches the rules...the good news is this is anything but exhausting, it's very easy! When you've started your recording, press Tab to bring up the menu, then select "Dip Switches" and hit enter. Check the settings listed with those in the rules - for any DIP that needs to be changed, just use the left and right arrows to change the setting...when they are configured correctly, just select "Reset" within that same menu, and a new recording will start with the same name you gave the original one, but now with all the new settings...that's it!


    If you need any other help, feel free to ask...good luck!


    Thank you very much Jason, I just follow the steps you wrote and I set all dip switches correctly.


    Now I have a new question, do I need to separetely record the gameplay like I did in my submission, or can play the inp back after, and record the gameplay then?


  3. JasonV91's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixe Sukola



    Thank you very much Jason, I just follow the steps you wrote and I set all dip switches correctly.


    Now I have a new question, do I need to separetely record the gameplay like I did in my submission, or can play the inp back after, and record the gameplay then?


    You don't need to record the gameplay "live" - you can play until you get a score you want to submit, then playback the recorded .inp of that run, and record it with screen capture software like OBS (this is what I do for my MAME submissions). Just make sure that every time you want to restart your attempt, you also restart the .inp recording - it is TG policy that your .inp must have only the submitted run recorded on it. If you have a failed run and want to restart, you don't have to exit MAME and restart it from scratch, simply select "Reset" from the "Dip Switches" menu as described above, and the recording will restart - this is what I do when I'm playing, and I've done it so frequently, I can now restart a new recording in under 2 seconds :)

  4. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonV91


    You don't need to record the gameplay "live" - you can play until you get a score you want to submit, then playback the recorded .inp of that run, and record it with screen capture software like OBS (this is what I do for my MAME submissions). Just make sure that every time you want to restart your attempt, you also restart the .inp recording - it is TG policy that your .inp must have only the submitted run recorded on it. If you have a failed run and want to restart, you don't have to exit MAME and restart it from scratch, simply select "Reset" from the "Dip Switches" menu as described above, and the recording will restart - this is what I do when I'm playing, and I've done it so frequently, I can now restart a new recording in under 2 seconds :)


    This is great info, I m so happy that i dont need to do much to start playing and submitting scores. Thanks a lot for your help Jason.

    LikesJasonV91, terencew liked this post
  5. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    One more question Jason, how do I stop the inp recording? With my previous score i just pressed alt+tab to get out of the full screen of the program, and then closed MAME. But I just played a better run and the inp did not save this time, any advice? i hope im explaining myself.

  6. JasonV91's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixe Sukola

    One more question Jason, how do I stop the inp recording? With my previous score i just pressed alt+tab to get out of the full screen of the program, and then closed MAME. But I just played a better run and the inp did not save this time, any advice? i hope im explaining myself.

    Easiest way to stop the .inp recording is to hit Esc - this will exit the game, and the .inp will be saved in your inp folder. Also, the default setting runs the games in full screen mode, but you can play in a windowed mode instead if you prefer. Not sure why your .inp didn't save - did you start recording from the GUI the same way you did in the video in your sub? If so, that should have worked...I actually prefer to use the command line to run MAME, but either way works.

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
  7. Conjured Entertainment's Avatar

    There were 2 settings you left at default that don't match the rule set, but they also don't affect gameplay, so this will most likely not cause any issues for the majority of adjudicators.

    Which is unfortunate, because regardless of the effects on gameplay, all rules should matter. If the rule set requires the DIP setting a particular way that is not default, then there very well may have been a reason for this based on knowledge that the founder has about the title's game play that we do not have. So, just because we think a DIP setting does not affect the game play does not mean that is doesn't.


    The tracks' rules should be followed, and setting the dips is not so difficult that adjudicators/gamers should want to ignore the rules. Many of us have spent a lot of SP's cancelling our submissions because of an accidental incorrect DIP setting. But we come back with a new performance that has the right settings, which can be a real pain to achieve a record setting run again whether the settings are changed or not.


    You might be okay with incorrect DIP settings, but for some of us a simple DIP setting that is set wrong will result in NO votes by the same people who accept those discrepancies when submitted by others. I have had rejections because of DIP settings even when the DIP switch was not mentioned in the rule set. So, I guess it depends on who you are as whether or not some adjudicators will accept invalid DIP settings of a rule set.


    I would advise following the track rules, especially ALL of the DIP settings. That way, you will not have people abstaining or voting NO, which only delays your adjudication for a lack of YES votes. Also, you will not have to worry about future disputes as a result of those DIP rules not being followed.


    I downloaded WolfMAME a couple of hour ago and the snow bros rom, and I submitted a test score.

    Probably the most common mistake with new installs of MAME is forgetting about the NVRAM. If you don't disable that then the playback will fail. It seems you managed to get around that if JasonV91 is giving a thumbs up on the playback. So, you are doing great, just remember to disable that NVRAM every time you upgrade to a later version. That can be a pain in the butt too if you happen to have an excellent run the first game on a new version, only to discover that it will not play back.


    Good luck

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
    Updated 01-03-2019 at 03:10 AM by Conjured Entertainment
  8. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Conjured Entertainment


    Which is unfortunate, because regardless of the effects on gameplay, all rules should matter. If the rule set requires the DIP setting a particular way that is not default, then there very well may have been a reason for this based on knowledge that the founder has about the title's game play that we do not have. So, just because we think a DIP setting does not affect the game play does not mean that is doesn't.


    The tracks' rules should be followed, and setting the dips is not so difficult that adjudicators/gamers should want to ignore the rules. Many of us have spent a lot of SP's cancelling our submissions because of an accidental incorrect DIP setting. But we come back with a new performance that has the right settings, which can be a real pain to achieve a record setting run again whether the settings are changed or not.


    You might be okay with incorrect DIP settings, but for some of us a simple DIP setting that is set wrong will result in NO votes by the same people who accept those discrepancies when submitted by others. I have had rejections because of DIP settings even when the DIP switch was not mentioned in the rule set. So, I guess it depends on who you are as whether or not some adjudicators will accept invalid DIP settings of a rule set.


    I would advise following the track rules, especially ALL of the DIP settings. That way, you will not have people abstaining or voting NO, which only delays your adjudication for a lack of YES votes. Also, you will not have to worry about future disputes as a result of those DIP rules not being followed.



    Probably the most common mistake with new installs of MAME is forgetting about the NVRAM. If you don't disable that then the playback will fail. It seems you managed to get around that if JasonV91 is giving a thumbs up on the playback. So, you are doing great, just remember to disable that NVRAM every time you upgrade to a later version. That can be a pain in the butt too if you happen to have an excellent run the first game on a new version, only to discover that it will not play back.


    Good luck


    Thanks a lot for the info, I just submitted a new score today for Snow Bros and I made sure to set all DP Switches correctly.


    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/197627-M-A-M-E-Snow-Bros-Nick-amp-Tom-set-1-Points-Single-Player-Only-1-404-330-Daniel-Ocampo


    great tip on the NVRAM. cheers.

    LikesConjured Entertainment liked this post
Join us