Pixe Sukola's Feed

Pixe Sukola
07-06-2019 at 02:02 PM
10 Comments
Rate this Entry

All my Super Mario Kart scores have been deleted

So three days ago I was cleaning my desk and I moved my snes and put it on top of a guitar amplifier that I was testing, it stayed there for a couple of days and then I wondered if the magnetism from the speaker would have any effect on the game or system, but I quickly forgot about it and left it there for one more day.

Today I plugged it in and to my surprise all of my scores had in fact been deleted. One and a half years of attempts (around 6,000 total) are now gone from my cart. Fortunately I was able to record and submit most of them here to TG and to the Mario Kart Players website, but still, it feels bad, really bad :(


Likesnads liked this post
Comments
  1. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    Oh, Heck, that really sucks!!!


    I lost my times on the first few fighters I fought on Super Punch Out, it was very strange-this was before I had any PAL equipment, btw.

    Powered it on one day, and it booted up with a region code error(which was interesting to see), restarted it and it worked fine, but all my times were gone.


    Somehow I'd missed that you play music, I think those skills translate very well to gaming, I'm only assuming you know I play as well, guitar/keys. I "sing" too, but the quotes are there by necessity, lol, it prolly only sounds good to me...

    :)

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
    Updated 07-06-2019 at 02:15 PM by Rogerpoco (fixing my pottymouth)
  2. dedmunds's Avatar

    Dang it! Sorry to hear that :(

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
  3. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco

    Somehow I'd missed that you play music, I think those skills translate very well to gaming, I'm only assuming you know I play as well, guitar/keys. I "sing" too, but the quotes are there by necessity, lol, it prolly only sounds good to me...

    :)

    I would say music is probably my only vice that's bigger than videogames, If I had to choose between music or videogames, I would definitely choose music. If you've noticed I rarely listen to a videogame, I'm listening to music probably 90% of the time I'm awake. I play several instruments (guitar, bass, keyboards and melodica) but all of them at a begginer level. The singing part is the one that I take a little more seriously but still, nothing impressive :)

    This is the first complete song I ever learned on the keyboards, I forgot most of it by now but I enjoyed it a lot.


    ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
    LikesMyOwnWorstEnemy, Rogerpoco, nads liked this post
  4. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    That's GREAT!!!

    I wish I could play like that-I have a heavy handed style, most disagree with me but I think Elton john plays that way, he has the technical ability but just kinda bangs away at it, lol!


    If you haven't heard of him, check out George Winston sometime, he does solo piano covers of Vince Guaraldi music(Charlie Brown) and the Doors, among other things, he's pretty inspiring to listen to, almost makes you better just listening to him, lol!


    Yeah, that's beautiful!

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
    LikesPixe Sukola liked this post
  5. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    !!!!

    Darnit, lol, I lost all my PAL times last night!

    :(

    Admittedly, my times weren't fantastic, I'd only played a few tracks on PAL, the Special Cup wasn't unlocked so I didn't lose that, but it still kinda blows.


    My PAL cart is a bit sketchy, I sometimes have to reinsert it a few times for it to boot(it's the game, my other hard-copy PAL games don't have that problem).

    So I tried to play, got a black screen with a little garbling, reinserted the cart, and *poof*, my times were gone.


    Ah, well.


    Oh yeah-I ordered the Japan version of SNES Mario Kart a couple days ago, 20$, looks brand-new, cart still has plastic sleeve around it, everything cib. Can't play it, no Super Famicom(yet), but will still be neat to have.



    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
  6. sdwyer138's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco

    Oh yeah-I ordered the Japan version of SNES Mario Kart a couple days ago, 20$, looks brand-new, cart still has plastic sleeve around it, everything cib. Can't play it, no Super Famicom(yet), but will still be neat to have.


    There are little tabs inside the snes cartridge slot. Break those out. Then you can play jp games.

    ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
    LikesRogerpoco, Pixe Sukola liked this post
  7. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138



    There are little tabs inside the snes cartridge slot. Break those out. Then you can play jp games.


    I thought possibly so-for some reason, I seem to remember trying to get the Japan Super Punch Out to boot on my NEO and got a region error(which I suspect led to erasure of my SPO NTSC times), which is why I didn't think I could play them, but I remember now that you have done some J SNES stuff, cool deal, good to know!


    Lol, I'll buy a Famicom before I'll break the tabs on a mint Mario Kart, tho.

    ;P


    *edit*-

    Oh, the tabs are in the SNES, gotcha!

    LikesPixe Sukola liked this post
  8. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco

    !!!!

    Darnit, lol, I lost all my PAL times last night!

    :(

    Admittedly, my times weren't fantastic, I'd only played a few tracks on PAL, the Special Cup wasn't unlocked so I didn't lose that, but it still kinda blows.


    My PAL cart is a bit sketchy, I sometimes have to reinsert it a few times for it to boot(it's the game, my other hard-copy PAL games don't have that problem).

    So I tried to play, got a black screen with a little garbling, reinserted the cart, and *poof*, my times were gone.


    Ah, well.


    Oh yeah-I ordered the Japan version of SNES Mario Kart a couple days ago, 20$, looks brand-new, cart still has plastic sleeve around it, everything cib. Can't play it, no Super Famicom(yet), but will still be neat to have.




    I was talking to Sami Cetin (world record holder of MC1) the other day and he said that sometimes just a little movement on the cartridge while it is playing, could be enough to delete them.

    Yesterday it almost happened to me again. Im doing a lot of construction work inside the house so there is lots of dust all around, I was playing SMK and I blew close to the console to blow away the dust around it and that was enough for the game to freeze and then I got a black screen. I thought it had happened again, but no.

    The worst part for me besides losing the scores is having to unlock the Special Cup again.

  9. Rogerpoco's Avatar

    After many, MANY attempts, I had Gold on the Mushroom Cup, I think I was going to try Flower Cup when I lost my times.

    You may remember, I got lucky and the Special Cup was already unlocked on my NTSC cart when I got it-which is strange, because I kicked that Guys butt on lap/race times, but I'm not sure I CAN unlock the Special Cup, lol, so at least you are fortunate there!!!


    Quick update-

    1:02.01

    You can imagine, great joy and great disappointment, at the EXACT same time.

    (MC1, BTW, lap time 12.22)

    I am literally icing my thumbs between sessions now, I'm kinda dumb like that, don't know when to just stop...

    :P

    ThanksPixe Sukola thanked this post
    LikesPixe Sukola liked this post
  10. Pixe Sukola's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco

    After many, MANY attempts, I had Gold on the Mushroom Cup, I think I was going to try Flower Cup when I lost my times.

    You may remember, I got lucky and the Special Cup was already unlocked on my NTSC cart when I got it-which is strange, because I kicked that Guys butt on lap/race times, but I'm not sure I CAN unlock the Special Cup, lol, so at least you are fortunate there!!!


    I hate unlocking it because I don't like GP mode very much, but is not super hard and Im absolutely sure that once again you are underestimating yourself, trust me, you just need more practice. By the way you get "1 up" everytime you get 1st place on a track and if you are going go be 2nd on the next race you just give up and restart it until you get 1st or run out of 1 ups. Flower cup is the hardest one of all for me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco

    Quick update-

    1:02.01

    You can imagine, great joy and great disappointment, at the EXACT same time.

    (MC1, BTW, lap time 12.22)

    I am literally icing my thumbs between sessions now, I'm kinda dumb like that, don't know when to just stop...

    :P

    This is awesome, a 1.01.xx requires a lot of work and you are doing it.

    I know how you feel, sometimes I wish i could just put on a new thumb and pair of eyes and keep playing games non stop.

    ThanksRogerpoco thanked this post
    LikesRogerpoco liked this post
Join us