RaGe's Feed

RaGe
09-05-2018 at 07:44 PM
9 Comments
Rate this Entry

(PS2) Sega Classics Collection - Virtua Racing

I thought a re-imagining of the original Virtua Racing would be a mess. I played it today for the first time. It's actually really good. The 32X version is still the king of the console versions, but I'm going to put this version in second place (sorry Saturn version). The graphics are sharp and the feel is similar to the 32X -which is basically like the arcade. On tracks with consistent turns, the tires screeching gets a little crazy, but you hardly notice it when you're racing. If you're into VR, check it out. @jmb I know you'll dig this.



Added it to the database..Fastest Lap, 6 tracks, 4 car types - Total 24 tracks:


https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/sega-classics-collection/playstation-2/?track=virtua%20racing

ThanksCyriss_Zeal, Rogerpoco, jmb thanked this post
LikesMax, nads, Cyriss_Zeal, HugDD, Rogerpoco and 3 others liked this post
Comments
  1. jmb's Avatar

    Hey, thanks for the info and the new tracks, the video looks really smooth and crisp for a virtua racing port. What's the deal with the NTSC-J though? I've never dealt with any of that region yet. I think they use 60Hz and 110 VAC but not sure about the disc compatibility.


    LikesRaGe liked this post
    Updated 09-06-2018 at 09:08 PM by jmb
  2. RaGe's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by jmb

    Hey, thanks for the info, the video looks really smooth and crisp for a virtua racing port. What's the deal with the NTSC-J though? I never dealt with any of that region yet.


    No problem, man. Yea, the game feels as smooth as it looks. I shouldn't have posted that guy's video. He's playing the Japanese release of the game called "Sega Ages" on a Japanese console. It's on regular NTSC as "Sega Classics Collection". It's a cool collection. Besides VR, there's nice updates of Golden Axe, Monaco GP, Out Run, Space Harrier, Alien Syndrome, Fantasy Zone, Bonanza Bros. and Columns. I'm pretty sure all of these others are already in the database from years ago.
    Thanksjmb thanked this post
  3. jmb's Avatar

    Well damn, I have that in my collection and just never played it - don't even have to go looking for it. Thanks for the find.

    LikesRaGe liked this post
  4. RaGe's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by jmb

    Well damn, I have that in my collection and just never played it - don't even have to go looking for it. Thanks for the find.

    I have scores on some of the other games on the disc, and whoever entered the game into the database didn't enter VR....We all ignored it!


    You access new cars in GP Mode. The first one you'll access is F-1 70's cars. They're too similar to regular F-1 cars, so I left them out. Then you'll get the Proto, Coupe and Classic.

    Thanksjmb thanked this post
  5. jmb's Avatar

    I remember giving Monaco GP in this collection a try years ago and it was so disappointing compared to the original genesis version I just put the disc away and forgot about it.

  6. PAUL's Avatar

    hey Terence! do you have a Switch? Virtua Racing is coming out on Switch :)

    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/virtua_racing_joins_the_sega_ages_line_on_nintendo _switch

    ThanksRaGe thanked this post
    LikesRaGe liked this post
  7. Max's Avatar

    Speaking of Road Rash... I don't know the fine details, but Road Redemption appears to be nearing release for PS4, Xbox, PC and Switch. One of the videos I just went to grab required an age verification to access it. ;) My only guess for the verification would be due to the sheer RaGe like violence in the promotional clip. This game appears to be a must own for at least one person at TG.


    ThanksRaGe thanked this post
    LikesRaGe liked this post
  8. RaGe's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by PAUL

    hey Terence! do you have a Switch? Virtua Racing is coming out on Switch :)

    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/virtua_racing_joins_the_sega_ages_line_on_nintendo _switch

    Hey Paul! Unfortunately, I do not. Maybe I should think about getting one. Thanks for the heads up!
    ThanksPAUL thanked this post
    LikesPAUL liked this post
  9. RaGe's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Max

    Speaking of Road Rash... I don't know the fine details, but Road Redemption appears to be nearing release for PS4, Xbox, PC and Switch. One of the videos I just went to grab required an age verification to access it. ;) My only guess for the verification would be due to the sheer RaGe like violence in the promotional clip. This game appears to be a must own for at least one person at TG.


    It's a bout friggin time..LOL It's like 2 years ago it was released on Steam...It was supposed to come to consoles shortly afterwards. Definitely the spiritual successor to Road Rash.
Join us