Just Some Origin Tidbits

1. Just Some Origin Tidbits

02-25-2003, 10:21 AM
    Hello fellow gamers:

A friend of mine provided these video game related tidbits of info...much of which you may already know, but for the benefit of all, here is what he sent me...I trust that the data is correct but honestly do not have the time to investigate.

1st - In 1972, Nolan Bushnell turned to a word from a Japanese strategy game called "GO" that describes what you say when you have surrounded your opponents stones and you are about to take them. Hence the name "Atari"

2nd - The name "COLECO" was derived from a company in 1962 called "The Connecticut Leather Company" which manufactured leather products and eventually above ground swimming pools before entering the gaming business, and later the "Cabbage Patch Kid".

3rd - The merging of two companies called "Service Games" (a company in Japan with over 6,000 juke box locations) and "Rasen" (or Rosen...can't read clearly) Enterprises" (a company which established arcades around Japan) gave birth to a new entity called "Sega Enterprises", then later "Sega".

4th - A Japanese playing card company since 1889 changed their name in 1951 to a term meaning (can't read this clearly but here goes) "leave lunch to heaven", hence the name "Nintendo". Again, couldn't read what he told me clearly so if anyone knows, please elucidate.

5th - So many people played "Space Invaders" in 1978 in Japan that this caused a national shortage of the 100 yen piece.

6th - "Centipede" was co-designed by Dona Bailey who was the only female programmer in the industry at that time. She was responsible for writing the code for the mushrooms, and the game using a trackball, as well as the games pastel colour-scheme which was an effort to increase the game's appeal to female players.

7th - Dave Rasen (can't make that out clearly), co-founder of Sega, describes how "Zaxxon" got it's name. I'll paraphrase.

"I couldn't come up with a name for the game. I wanted something masculine sounding. I put some "Z's" and "X's" on a piece of paper and then just put some vowels inbetween them. That was it."

8th - "Taito" is the Japanese word for "Fast East"

9th - "Armageddon" and "Ground Zero" were some of the names considered before "Missile Command" was finally chosen for that classic arcade title.

10th - Ed Rothberg, a famous game designer who was responsible for the creation of "Battlezone", started on his last game before leaving Atari called "Warp Speed". Later to be finished by a new team who eventually changed the name to "Star Wars" after getting a nifty license from George Lucas.

Personal note - this is a fact that I did not already know, considering how many hours I logged on this particular title !!

11th - "Q*Bert" went thru some name changes as well, like "Snots and Boogers" (pretty gross) where projectiles were shot from it's nose, before changing the concept to what it is today. The name changed a few more times from something resembling "@!#?@!" to "Cubert" (combining "Cube" and "Hubert") to "Q-Bert" and then finally "Q*Bert".

Well, I hope your found these tidbits enjoyable !!

Robert
  2. 01-06-2020, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;558710
    Hello fellow gamers:

A friend of mine provided these video game related tidbits of info...much of which you may already know, but for the benefit of all, here is what he sent me...I trust that the data is correct but honestly do not have the time to investigate.

1st - In 1972, Nolan Bushnell turned to a word from a Japanese strategy game called "GO" that describes what you say when you have surrounded your opponents stones and you are about to take them. Hence the name "Atari"

2nd - The name "COLECO" was derived from a company in 1962 called "The Connecticut Leather Company" which manufactured leather products and eventually above ground swimming pools before entering the gaming business, and later the "Cabbage Patch Kid".

3rd - The merging of two companies called "Service Games" (a company in Japan with over 6,000 juke box locations) and "Rasen" (or Rosen...can't read clearly) Enterprises" (a company which established arcades around Japan) gave birth to a new entity called "Sega Enterprises", then later "Sega".

4th - A Japanese playing card company since 1889 changed their name in 1951 to a term meaning (can't read this clearly but here goes) "leave lunch to heaven", hence the name "Nintendo". Again, couldn't read what he told me clearly so if anyone knows, please elucidate.

5th - So many people played "Space Invaders" in 1978 in Japan that this caused a national shortage of the 100 yen piece.

6th - "Centipede" was co-designed by Dona Bailey who was the only female programmer in the industry at that time. She was responsible for writing the code for the mushrooms, and the game using a trackball, as well as the games pastel colour-scheme which was an effort to increase the game's appeal to female players.

7th - Dave Rasen (can't make that out clearly), co-founder of Sega, describes how "Zaxxon" got it's name. I'll paraphrase.

"I couldn't come up with a name for the game. I wanted something masculine sounding. I put some "Z's" and "X's" on a piece of paper and then just put some vowels inbetween them. That was it."

8th - "Taito" is the Japanese word for "Fast East"

9th - "Armageddon" and "Ground Zero" were some of the names considered before "Missile Command" was finally chosen for that classic arcade title.

10th - Ed Rothberg, a famous game designer who was responsible for the creation of "Battlezone", started on his last game before leaving Atari called "Warp Speed". Later to be finished by a new team who eventually changed the name to "Star Wars" after getting a nifty license from George Lucas.

Personal note - this is a fact that I did not already know, considering how many hours I logged on this particular title !!

11th - "Q*Bert" went thru some name changes as well, like "Snots and Boogers" (pretty gross) where projectiles were shot from it's nose, before changing the concept to what it is today. The name changed a few more times from something resembling "@!#?@!" to "Cubert" (combining "Cube" and "Hubert") to "Q-Bert" and then finally "Q*Bert".

Well, I hope your found these tidbits enjoyable !!

Robert

Very Used full topic. I like it .
    Last edited by silvado1; 01-06-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
Join us