Legend of Zelda - Fastest Overall Completion

1. Legend of Zelda - Fastest Overall Completion

05-18-2003, 02:41 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

When "The Legend of Zelda" was released for the NES system just about twenty years ago, it became an instant classic and destined to be remembered by gamers for years to come. All these years later and the game is still respected and highly regarded by gamers all over the globe. It revolutionized at-home RPG titles as we knew them to be, and spawned off about ten follow-up titles to date.

As chief referee these past two years, I have heard stories of fastest completion records, but to date I had not seen any officially verified by Twin Galaxies. Thus, to get the ball officially rolling, I'd like to announce a fastest "overall" completion time of 49 minutes and 24 seconds (49:24) submitted by Michael Damiani who hails from Texas in the USA. And by "overall" completion, I mean no "minimalist" rules are in place for this record...the rules are listed later in this article governing the submission.

Michael is already recognized as the world record holder for the fastest completion times of the Zelda seris' SNES entry "Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past", as well as the fastest minimalist completion of the N64 entry "Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time". His ultimate goal is to be recognized as the world's greatest "Zelda" player.

Twin Galaxies has recognized that most LoZ (NES) fans will be most interested in competing for the fastest completion of the 1st adventure within the game, as the 2nd one features random locations of the dungeons and other noteworthy areas, something very unique when it comes to most other RPG and adventure titles. Michael's record was, of course, based on completion of the 1st adventure.

As with all entries within the "Zelda" series, pursuit of a "fastest completion" record requires intimate knowledge of the game map, familiarity with every enemy's attack and movement patterns, and formulating a clear-cut path to take from the very beginning up until the final battle of the game, adjusting here and there to pick up extra hearts or coins along the way. And while not every objects or hidden area needs to be discovered, the savvy Zelda player identifies up front what they need at the absolute minimum to complete the quest.

Perhaps the most important, and difficult, decision that a Zelda player in pursuit of a "fastest completion" record can make is when to retreat and replenish lost hearts, and when to forge ahead regardless of having your heart containers severely depeted from enemy attacks. Every second counts, so every decision to take a minor detour and pick up a stray heart or fairy counts against your final time. Thus, the bold gamer will risk it all and not bother to replenish their heart containers until the end of a stage...but such decisions can bring an unsatisfactory and early conclusion to a fastest completion attempt in progress.

Michael's record, and all other officially verified fastest completion records to follow, shall be measured in terms of certain benchmarks along the adventure...the precise moments when key objects or accomplishments have been found, while not revealing their chosen path
    towards their record accomplishment. Such is in accordance with the Twin Galaxies policy on maintaining a gamer's tactics and techniques as "secret", unless the gamer willingly allows us to divulge such information.

Now then, so LoZ fans can see how they keep pace with Michael's 49:24 performance, here are the basic rules followed by his performance at key points in the game...

RULES - FASTEST OVERALL COMPLETION

1st - game must begin from a new file
    2nd - no cheat codes can be used
    3rd - no game enhancement devices (Game Genies/Sharks) are allowed
    4th - useage of the "Up + A" controller has been deemed allowable by the Twin Galaxies Board of Referees
    5th - the 'game clock" begins the instant you start the new game and ends the instant you touch Zelda after defeating Ganon
    6th - you are not required to find every object or explore every area
    7th - if at any point in the game your heart counter is depleted, your record is invalid

This is for the fastest "overall" completion. We actually have set more challenging completion rules in place now posted to the TG scoreboard awaiting willing challengers to pick up the gauntlet and submit scores for them.

That being said, here now is Michael's performance in terms of minutes/seconds...

MICHAEL'S RECORD OF 49:24

00:10 - obtains wooden sword
    03:22 - upgrades sword
    04:52 - enters 1st dungeon
    07:32 - finishes 1st dungeon (instant the "Tri-Force" piece is touched)
    09:01 - enters 2nd dungeon
    10:40 - finishes 2nd dungeon
    12:00 - enters 3rd dungeon
    14:09 - finishes 3rd dungeon
    15:25 - enters 4th dungeon
    17:59 - finishes 4th dungeon
    20:34 - enters 5th dungeon
    24:06 - finishes 6th dungeon
    25:36 - upgrades sword
    25:57 - enters 6th dungeon
    28:11 - finishes 6th dungeon
    29:56 - enters 7th dungeon
    32:55 - finishes 7th dungeon
    34:09 - enters 8th dungeon
    38:28 - finishes 8th dungeon
    39:56 - enters 9th dungeon
    46:51 - finds silver arrows
    48:37 - enters room with Ganon
    49:24 - touches Zelda

The most nerve-wracking moments in the game were when he reached a half-heart status while within the 5th dungeon right before facing the "boss", and how he spent nearly half of the 9th dungeon hovering between 1/2 to 2 hearts at most.

It is important to points out that in the above timeline, I am not revealing several important decisions that Michael made thoughout this adventure. For example, reaching the 1st dungeon at 4:52 could easily have been accomplished sooner. What Michael chose to accomplish before this is regarded as "secret". Further, his decision as to when, or
    whether, within his journey, to obtain certain purchased objects, or to unlock some of the hidden caches of coins, is also regarded as "Secret".

However, as his gameplay was of a traditionally linear fashion (finishing the dungeons in numeric sequence), the precise sequence of completion has been revealed. I have elected to reveal when, exactly, he upgraded his sword, as well as the precise moment he found the
    necessary "silver arrows" treasure.

That being said, this record will undoubtedly be sought after by many gamers in the weeks and months to come, and Twin Galaxies will be pleased to keep everyone informed as new records are received for all entries in the "Legend of Zelda" series.

Robert T Mruczek
    Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee
    Star Wars classic arcade champion
    rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

2. Great News in Zelda

05-18-2003, 03:36 PM
    Hello Robert

Did I think that in Fastest Minalist Completion was prohibited to acquire more than 3 hearts and to catch White Sword and Magical Sword as you had spoken to myself, but is it possible to collect certain?
    I was with many difficulties to beat Michael's record because I would need a long time and training also, but could collect the swords and the hearts I have great hopes of doing a good record in classic Legend of Zelda, I will begin to play the fastest possible and to see what I can do, and to send in the same tape with the new world record that I beat of Michael in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Now with the partial of Michael I believe in a my good acting.

Rodrigo Lopes
    Metroid Team Member
    Crazy Taxi 2 and Wacky Races World Champion
    rodrigolopes@terra.com.br
  3. Three Possibilities...a 4th to Come (Perhaps)

05-18-2003, 03:58 PM
    Hello Rodrigo:

Working with Wolff & Mike Morrow, we developed several "challenges" which were desigened to be much harder than the standard "completion" of the game. Currently, we track three (3) records...

1st - fastest "overall" completion

Simply, you must finish the first adventure of the game. Doesn't matter what enemies you kill, what areas you explore, or what secrets you uncover or items you pick up.

2nd - fastest "minimalist" completion

Soon to be renamed "Challenge A" to avoid confusion, this is a harder way to complete the game as you are limited to what you can pick up and attempt along the way. Do-able, but not at all easy.

3rd - fastest "perfect game"

Soon to be renamed "Challenge B" to avoid confusion, this is an even harder variation.

Actually, no one has officially submitted scores on these variations of of yet, so not sure what the benchmarks would be or how well such challenges are being embraced by the "Zelda" community at this time.

4th - To be Determined

I am almost considering opening a category for fastest completion of the second adventure, but realistically most "Zelda" players prefer the first adventure due to the fixed locations. Besides, considering how the dungeons/etc can be hidden just about anywhere, entering and exitting screens each time you need to use a candle takes hours, so there is too much "dumb luck", for lack of a batter term, and the record would reflect more luck than skill, so perhaps I won't open a category after all.

Still, if at least two (2) gamers wish to submit records for this category, I will open it up, but not if just a single player wants to try it...strictly due to the randomness of the second adventure and players' fondness for performing the first adventure.

I look foward to receiving your tapes.

Robert
  4. 05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
    Robert said something earlier to me that I agree with. In the essence of the "matrix"...what is "perfect" (Ok, I substituted for the world real).

Perfect means you do not do anything wrong. That means you beat the game, adquiring all items, and never receiving a hit (for Zelda). That is a perfect game, and I truly feel that is impossible, as with Ganon, the chances of beating him without getting hit are nearly 0, as well as other parts of the game.

I can only speak for Ocarina of Time, which I find to be my strongest game when I am on the ball. As you know my record, as I have said, is easily beatable and I still await somebody to frickin beat it so I can submit my better time (if it is better than the new winner's time). I won't reveal it just out of integrity, but it is far lower than my rather poor initial performance. I have in fact (not on tape, but plan to do this) beaten all of Ocarina of Time (mind not all items adquired) without taking one single blow or damage to health. If this is in anyway worthy of a record, I will try to replicate this.

Back to the subject - Challenge "A" - Fastest "Minimalist Completion"

This is the easiest of the TG fastest completion challenges (more to come).
    Rules are as follows - 3 hearts ONLY, NO magical or white sword, useage of 2nd Player Up/A permitted. Game clock begins immediately after hitting start, and ends the instant you touch Zelda.

- This is impossible. As you know, it takes six hits from the Magical Sword to put Ganon into a defeatable "brown" color. The White Swords requires 12 hits, and the Wooden Sword 24. So you would need 24 hits with only two "body" hits to give. As you know, you can not see Ganon, and no level of "expertise" can guarantee you will avoid being hit by his "body" if he teleports where you are. Yes, this is in theory possible...but theory is not reality, and thus I say this is not feasible on skill alone. Since luck is clearly the defining factor, I would view this oddly. It would be very impressive yet at the same time I would always wonder...for I could try 1000 times and not do it (beating Ganon with these rules) yet some guy gets it on first time due to "luck".

Challenge "B" - Fastest "Perfect Game"

No lives lost, no blue/red rings, no white/magical sword, no blue candle/power bracelet/boomerang, must kill every sub boss incl Patras, no note to old woman, 3 hearts & small shield only, cannot kill overworld enemies, every map compass/dungeon room found. Game clock begins immediately after hitting start, and ends the instant you touch Zelda.

- This is ever more rediculous. As I said, Mr. Wolfe or whoever made this, please perform this and I will gratiously get to work on duplicating it. But I see no need to waste time on this...you'll end up committing suicide before you do this.

Anyway...Robert, Wolfe - I have suggestions

1st Quest Fastest Time (Not all Items)
    1st Quest Fastest Time (All Items/Hearts/Upgrades)
    2nd Quest Fastest Time(Not all Items)
    2nd Quest Fastest Time(All Items/Hearts/Upgrades)
    Fastest Game Completion (Not all items)
    Fastest Game Completion (All Items)

The first four are self explanitory. As for the last two, as you know, once you beat the game your file has a Link with a "SWORD" and a 2nd Quest will begin. Basically once you beat first quest, you immediately resume your file on 2nd Quest. Time never stops until the FINAL BLOW to the 2nd Ganon. This is the true way to "complete" Legend of Zelda for NES.

Anyway, I know my time right now sucks. I am waiting for people to beat it so I can see what I must improve on. From that list...the obvious things are to frickin speed up in each level...none should take more than 2 mins except 8 and 9. I think that is where 7 mins of my time goes...where people claim sub-40 is possible. So...I am quite busy...and until people beat my times...I really can't keep playing over and over...but rest assured if they are beaten...I will work relentlessly to reclaim each one.

PS - Anyone know the EXACT date GameBoy Player for GCN comes out? I need that for the portable Zeldas.

-Rodrigo: GET A GCN MAN! That guy has the MP record!
  5. 05-18-2003, 07:25 PM
    Oh yeah...I need to point this out.

The Second Quest is not random. It is plotted out/predetermined/static. All the levels are in the same spot each time (though not necessarily the same spot as the first quest).

There is no randomization factor in the game except for enemy placement in a room (where they appear) as well as some boss movements.

Oh yeah...you can even tell what "enemies" will be in a room...even if you kill "some" and re-enter. A benefit from working with a quest maker for this game from a fan project.
  6. 05-18-2003, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Silent Assassin

No lives lost, no blue/red rings, no white/magical sword, no blue candle/power bracelet/boomerang, must kill every sub boss incl Patras, no note to old woman, 3 hearts & small shield only, cannot kill overworld enemies, every map compass/dungeon room found. Game clock begins immediately after hitting start, and ends the instant you touch Zelda.

- This is ever more rediculous. As I said, Mr. Wolfe or whoever made this, please perform this and I will gratiously get to work on duplicating it. But I see no need to waste time on this...you'll end up committing suicide before you do this.

Tom Votava has already accomplished this on both quests. My dad (who is over 50 years old) has done it for the first quest.

I had it down to just needing to kill the 4 headed Gleok in level 8, and then do level 9, but I was not taping. I abandoned that game, and will do this down the road sometime.

As for the fastest overall completion, Ryan Williamson has a time of 39:50 that I hear he is fixing to send in. This is the mark I have been shooting for. I've been very close, and I have solutions to the game that could yield times under the 39 minute barrier, but a lot of luckiness is involved. I will turn in a tape that matches or exceeds Ryan's 39:50. I have to hand it ot him on this one as it has proven to be a very good standard.
  7. 05-18-2003, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Silent Assassin

Well let's start with my name. It's Wolff Morrow. You can call me Wolff, Mr. Morrow, FirebrandX, or FBX for short (what I most often go by on the net).

Next, Robert has indeed made a mistake on the rules here. The challenge ends the moment you enter Ganon's room, since you cannot defeat him without a sword. This challenge has ALREADY been done by more than one person, so I guess you had best get to work as per your promise. For accurate and detailed rules and regulations on this, go here:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/firebrandx/tgzelda.html

One side note:

We've not lost anyone to suicide on this challenge yet. :twisted:
  8. 05-19-2003, 12:46 AM
    It's been ages since I played Zelda, so what exactly is this "up + A" controller thing?

Also, versus dragging out my old NES etc. is it allowed to be played within a NES emulator?

In watching the video tape you clearly would be able to tell if anything odd occurred.
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
  9. 05-19-2003, 11:41 AM
    Next, Robert has indeed made a mistake on the rules here. The challenge ends the moment you enter Ganon's room, since you cannot defeat him without a sword. This challenge has ALREADY been done by more than one person, so I guess you had best get to work as per your promise. For accurate and detailed rules and regulations on this, go here:

- That changes EVERYTHING. So...is it "fastest time" to do this, or just IF you can do it? Yes, I can do this...the only thing I was protesting is the Ganon battle ;)

- I had a friend online send me a video of some stuff to try out in my overworld strategy for Legend of Zelda. In fact, little did I know that "where you walk" on a screen could make a whole minute difference in the time. I kinda ignored that. So, I went through this morning with my first free day in over a week, and I got 43 minutes first try using this and my new "dungeon" strategy. Now I need to work on shortest possible "direct paths" to each level...whether it involves walking or warping...I'll have to find out.

So...I think that sub 40 is now realistic for myself...and you said sub 39 is possible on regular NES version. Zelda Classic, what I practiced on, is a "faster" game engine...I was easily able to have 42 mins and under every run...but the NES version is slower and I forgot about the "quick item change" button on ZC.

Well, FirebrandX - As soon as this new time arrives of sub 40, I'll send you a faster time and the TG Zelda Challenges...just can you clarify if time is a factor or is it just "can you do it"?
  10. 05-19-2003, 03:08 PM
    Wow, I didn't know there was a faster version of Zelda out there called Zelda Classic. We obviously cannot accept submissions from that version seeing as how it would be faster than the original Zelda.

As for the minimalist challenge, I was only intending to have it as a "requirements met" challenge. The way to improve is to find even harder restrictions as you go along, which then makes you the new Zelda challenge master if you complete them on tape.

I had one bitter gamer start nit-picking things to complain about not being as hard as we think. He kept talking trash on my video of defeating the 4-headed Gleok under these restrictions, saying that it was "just an illusion" about the difficulty and that it would be harder to defeat it with wooden sword and 2 hearts. I finally put a logic trap on him with this:

"Tell you what, if you can do the Zelda challenge with your wooden sword and 2 hearts on tape, then you win and we'll add that to the rules".

I never heard from him again after that. Not a single peep. So I realized he was just being bitter and wanted to argue with me just for the sake of trying to sound more experienced and versed in Zelda mastery.

As for some of Robert's challenges, like you I do not believe it is humanly possible to survive against Gannon with wooden sword and 3 hearts. It may be technically possible, but not humanly possible.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us