Zelda (NES) - Watch Out !!

1. 06-30-2003, 07:13 PM
    Actually, it's more like a heart/heart and a half per second, but I get your point. I was figuring the best point the bump hit is exploitable is in the overworld, especially since enemy positioning (particularly those darned tektites...), can cause a slight amount of lost time.

Also, what are the 'conditions' for successfully bombing blue darknuts. I know it has somthing to do with your position relative to them, but I don't know exactly what, and so far my guesswork during my attempt of the perfect game has not been very good. Any help on this?
  2. 06-30-2003, 07:28 PM
    Placing bombs so the "smoke" hits the enemy does more damage than a direct blast.
  3. 06-30-2003, 08:04 PM
    Bombing blue darknuts is a huge gamble on a clean cart run. Yes, with emulator save-state it proves to be the fastest method, but in actual practice, 2 strikes with the master sword is really the only viable choice. Being able to bomb blue darknuts at will during an actual cartridge run is basically like winning the lottery. It just simply isn't going to keep your run alive when you need bombs for walls in various levels.

Oh man, I can hardly wait for Mike to nail his current path. He's on pace for 37:45!
  4. 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM
    Well, the difference with me is that I am attempting the perfect run (which basically means no sword), so bombs is the only viable choice I have. And yes, I had noticed that the smoke does more than the actual blast...
  5. 07-01-2003, 07:43 AM
    First of all, it's not the Master Sword. It's not in the original game. It's the Magical Sword. No, they are not the same thing. And yes, I agree with Wolff that it's better to use it on the Blue Darknuts. I use the bombs on Level 9 for the battle against the Wizzrobes in the Silver Arrow room and against Goriyas sometimes.

That's great that your bro is on path to break sub 38. My new partner and I developed a new route, and I got just under 40 (was going to mail it in for Robert, but upon clarification of a rule, I actually was 2 seconds slower than Ryan's time) mins on my first attempt. Upon my second attempt, I failed on Level 6 (died) but was 1 min and 12 seconds faster at the spot I died than in my previous recording. No ring or potion is necessary to beat this game, I'll say that much.
  6. Good Luck for all

07-01-2003, 02:55 PM
    Hello All

People, I only have a thing for speaking for you, I already made PLAYING IN THE EMULATOR a time that you maybe don't believe and Robert is the only that knows, the time is 35:44, I am absolute sure that it is possible and it is not very difficult, I just need to have a little lucky in Level-8 and 9, I have total trust that a sub38 I do but I am not with a long time to play, I am making a sub 1:50 in AoL and aLttP that it will be sent soon, have a tape on the way to Robert that will arrive close of the day 9 with a new record in LoZ, good luck for all in the attempt of a sub38 because you will need.

Rodrigo Lopes
    Metroid Team Member
    Crazy Taxi 2 and Wacky Races World Champion
    rodrigolopes@terra.com.br
  7. Discussing with Ron & Jeff

07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
    Hello Rodrigo:

As this is an ULTRA FAST time, and sure to raise some questions from your fellow competitors, please be advised...

Emulators are a whole different story. Let me discuss this with Ron. I need to know EXACTLY the emulator type/variant that you are using, and any additional information you can spare...send me a private E-MAIL if need be.

For everyone else involved in the classic NES "Zelda" record, let me discuss this with Ron & Jeff after receipt of tape and based on the information at hand. I'll start the discussion now, perform my usual audit, and send Jeff Lowe a copy to co-verify as such a speedy time is unheard of and we need to make sure all is kosher.

I don't doubt Rodrigo's time at all, not one iota...it's the emulator that concerns me, nothing more. Please allow myself, Ron and Jeff to pursue this one and have an answer for everyone, Rodrigo inclusive, after tape is received and verified, and after we have a chance to contemplate the emulator in question.

Otherwise, this looks like a nearly unbeatable score. Granted a few seconds faster has already been deemed possible via electronic means, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the gamer for now and will do my homework on the verification process.

That being said I am excited to start the audit process once the tape is arrived. I will do an extremely careful audit and Jeff I am sure will do same. Between the two of us and Ron for technical guidance, and most likely Brien King, I am sure we will provide an accurate outcome.

Robert
  8. 07-01-2003, 05:05 PM
    Robert, I'd advise that we do not allow emulator submissions for the Zelda record. Only actual cartridge submissions for this record should count. I say this because 35.44 is not going to happen on a cartridge run and is only possible with emulator save-state technology.

I was able to discern that Rodrigo was not claiming 35.44 as his actual cartridge run, but rather an emulator run that was obviously save-stated. You should be made aware of the fact that at least one of the NES emulators does indeed allow you to splice save-states into one recording. As I have pointed out a few times before, this is simply not the same thing as doing a live run.

In any case, the Zelda record is far too sacred to have to deal with emulator issues. Only cartridge runs on video tape should be accepted.
  9. RE

07-01-2003, 05:50 PM
    Emulators is good for practice for the real thing (nes in this case) or should be tracked as a catagory on its own (like MAME vs arcade)

There will always be differences emu vs the real thing. Nothing wrong with emus though! I love them. Just give them their own category :)
  10. 07-01-2003, 06:24 PM
    True, but if what I'm told is correct, then we couldn't track the emulator version due to replay-splicing. Rodrigo's 35.44 claim for example is flat-out humanly impossible on a live run and should not be compared to as such.

I know Robert doesn't doubt the possibillity, but that's based on theory rather than hard practice. I in fact wager that sub-37 minutes will never be cracked on an actual cart run.

This leads me to further stress that we should be extra-careful judging submissions in case an emulator was used. The video tape needs to document the player powering on the machine to show the "blink" that emulators do not show when the image is suddenly displayed on the screen.

Edit: Mike just got an extremely sloppy 38.50! He's still going for the sub-38 as this run was completely unsatisfactory to him.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us