Deca2k4 & AD2k4 Idea repository

1. Deca2k4 & AD2k4 Idea repository

07-04-2003, 09:09 AM
    Here are some basic concepts for the next round of Deca's. Please feel free to add your thoughts and ideas here. I will capture everyones ideas over the remainder of the year and evaluate each for possible use prior to the Deca2k4 or AD2k4.

Deca2k4 & AD2k4 thoughts

- the two Deca's will run at seperate times of the year. We will run a spring and fall event to allow players a better chance to focus

- each Deca will only last THREE (3) months. By keeping the events short, hopefully people wont loose interest

- the AD will continue to use high difficulty levels, or possibly even tougher settings, depending on the game(s)
  2. RE

07-04-2003, 02:36 PM
    My opinions:

I love the idea with having the decas separated!!
    Much easier to concentrate then.

About the 3 months instead of 6 months... hmm I don?t know. It has always been nice to have a break maybe 1 month etc when you get burnt out so to speak.. but 3 months is still kind of a long time. If you have to change it, 3 months is ok for me. Not less that that though.

And yes, keep the diff hard on the AD! Ramp it up to max!! That is the cool thing with that deca I think.
    I also would like to suggest that you pick games that are very short... I mean people with skill can still play games like Zaxxon, rygar and Lode runner for a very long time. Games Like Robotron, Outrun, Cameltry etc etc (examples of 'short' games) will be short games even if you are a pro on that game.

Just my opinion.

Keep up the good work Ron!!
  3. 07-04-2003, 03:13 PM
    Anders:

Thanks for the input. I couldn't agree more that we need to keep the games short, fast paced and fun. I like the idea of keeping the Deca's short. That way people won't get bored (hopefully)... :)
  4. Re: Deca2k4 & AD2k4 Idea repository

07-05-2003, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RCorcoran
    Deca2k4 & AD2k4 thoughts

- the two Deca's will run at seperate times of the year. We will run a spring and fall event to allow players a better chance to focus
    That could work.. mind you I find the word "focus" of great amusement... considering how scattered I can get ^^;; But the idea of diff times of the year is PERFECT! I would have entered AD if it was seperate, as it ended up being too many eggs in one basket.

- the AD will continue to use high difficulty levels, or possibly even tougher settings, depending on the game(s)
    YES! I vote Klax in for the next Deca ;) Maybe Joust @ Hardest difficulty? Perhaps an ASIAN SF2 Board [falls over laughing]

But I digress.. I dig the ideas.. but what's the era range gonna be? Anything under the sun to a certain degree? [like nothing needing more then 1ghz?]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  5. Deca 04

07-05-2003, 09:00 AM
    Hello-

Personally, I'd like to see the main DECA include "classic" games only. Like pre 85?

Also, 3 months for the DECA sounds a little short to me. Can we negotiate 4 months? Some games that we aren't very good at, we will need time to learn the basics, then the tricks, then the finesse to be competitive,...I think.

Just my thoughts,

John Marks
  6. Re: Deca 04

07-05-2003, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by John Marks
    Hello-

Personally, I'd like to see the main DECA include "classic" games only. Like pre 85?

Also, 3 months for the DECA sounds a little short to me. Can we negotiate 4 months? Some games that we aren't very good at, we will need time to learn the basics, then the tricks, then the finesse to be competitive,...I think.

Just my thoughts,

John Marks
    John:

That's a cool idea, keeping the Deca to "Golden Age" games only. The only problem with that is we would have to keep the settings at TGTS or Factory Default as the AD only allows harder difficulty.

Four (4) months isn't too long. I just wanted to keep people from getting bored with a six month event and forgetting to qualify...
  7. Re: Deca2k4 & AD2k4 Idea repository

07-05-2003, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Kelly_R_Flewin
    But I digress.. I dig the ideas.. but what's the era range gonna be? Anything under the sun to a certain degree? [like nothing needing more then 1ghz?]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
    Kelly:

As per usual, I will leave it up to the gamers to decide which games we have in the events. And, as we are now using a more advanced version of MAME, the choices of games is wide-open. :)
  8. 07-05-2003, 11:33 AM
    I just want to point out that in the regular Deca there were 19-20 qualifying players by the end of January. As of May 26th there were 22 qualifiers. There was a big push to play the games in January which just seemed to fizzle out afterwards. Based on this fact alone, three months is plenty, and four months would be a bit much (let alone six.)

In either event, the Snipercade referees would spend half of the year evaluating Deca tournaments, presuming that there are now to be two Decas per year. Perhaps the refs don't mind having two-thirds of the year devoted to tournaments - they will have to determine that for themselves.

But in my opinion, each Deca should be three months and no more.

Also, I don't think there should be a regular and advanced Deca. There should be a Spring and Fall Deca each with a different set of games; the difficulty settings generally ramped up, and perhaps with some sort of limitations on number of score submissions. Therefore, while there would not be an Advanced Deca, some of the special rules of the Advanced may be incorporated into all Decas.

-- Richard
  9. RE

07-05-2003, 02:46 PM
    I don?t agree witht he thing about a 'golden age deca' That is just not fair to the games that are just as good, but came like 5 years after(And in the 90?s until now too of course). Let the people decide what games they wanna play, and maybe we all can get to know the new games instead. Many people just play the old games cause they did in the 80?s (nostalgica etc) I did that too. After a while I found tons of games that are just as good as the old ones.

Just because most of the games so far in the decas has been old ones, does not mean it should be that way always. I still play mostly old games from the 80?s, but I have an open mind about all games.

Anyway, that?s is up for the players to vote on :)

QRS
  10. 07-05-2003, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmarsh741
    I just want to point out that in the regular Deca there were 19-20 qualifying players by the end of January. As of May 26th there were 22 qualifiers. There was a big push to play the games in January which just seemed to fizzle out afterwards. Based on this fact alone, three months is plenty, and four months would be a bit much (let alone six.)
    Yeah... but then again Marp ALSO decided to hold their K3 Tournament during Deca2k3.... so that basically detracted a lot of interest. Or so I am figuring.. and the games... well.. I gotta admit while fun for a while.. was not too happy to have to play Frogger again... and DK Jr.. well it was frustrating as all else.. but fun for a while... T&F.... ugh... like there was a chance in hell of coming close to Tommi...

What kinda detracted me was a lot of things happening in the short time, getting a girlfriend [bigtime distraction] and then seeing Mr. Hayes completely PWN everyone within a 5000 mile radius... no offence intended to his superior and most riveting game skills.... it was honestly the first 2 more then anything... just a bit.. daunting.. but hey, it was worth it to see the 900k marathon :)

Also, I don't think there should be a regular and advanced Deca. There should be a Spring and Fall Deca each with a different set of games; the difficulty settings generally ramped up, and perhaps with some sort of limitations on number of score submissions. Therefore, while there would not be an Advanced Deca, some of the special rules of the Advanced may be incorporated into all Decas.

-- Richard
    I dunno... now the idea of Spring and Fall kinda works.,.. though some will complain Work will detract from their time to play... but then I could say the same for winter and summer.. winter due to family and xmas... summer.. because who the heck wants to be indoors... I try to get out a lot myself.. I mean it seemed like a great idea before... but I've thought more about it.. hence my sudden change

But then again I'm tossing random things up in the air... if no AD.. I dunno about the incorporation... unless it's relatively a marathon of max scoring... even then it may not stop some... maybe... dunno

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us