Crazy Jump - Trying Hard !!

1. Crazy Jump - Trying Hard !!

07-29-2003, 02:12 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

Some important info to share.

A few of you have asked...is 400 yards possible ? Answer...YES !!

Now, I am not sure how, but to date I have heard at least two unsubstantiated reports of 400 yard jumps, one via screenshot only, and a third was on the summer 2001 video submission by Hadley Rones of England, his score a hair over 400.

I suggested during the summer 2001 competition, at some point, that perhaps the same technique used in "Crazy Flag" could be applied here, meaning picking up speed while coasting along the rails. Not only have I yet to do this effectively in this event, but it makes coming straight off the ramp tough.

The 180 degree turn in the "Jump" mini-event was originally discovered by Dave Cramer in the CT2 competition, but it could be applied to CT1. Since it was banned for CT2, I also banned it for both CT1 and CT3 jump-events.

One technique not yet explored would be bouncing your car off the barrier walls, I should mention, though I have yet to come even close to doing this.

Oh yes...speed. MOST gamers will report that the highest speed they can attain is 155. Well, after watching thousands of jumps and events, literally thousands (and probably over 10,000 since it started), I have seen a couple of 156's, I think a 157 once, never a 158 or 159, and once & once only did I see a 160/161...couldn't tell for sure even in slow-mo, but coming off that ramp does some weird things to your speedometer. You should see it in "Crazy Flag" !!

Now for some facts for the CT1 jump...

-> Most used cab is Axel
    -> Least used cab is Gena
    -> Nobody uses the rickshaw for this event
    -> Highest speed witnessed on take-off - 160/161
    -> Best jumps, on average, have nose up to some degree
    -> Highest average jump maintained - Hadley Rones (370-375)
    -> Least button pressings to achieve 360+ yards - NINE (9), which treats drive+accelerate as 2, and reverse as 1
    -> Most gamers opt not to "back up" for extra distance

These are my best observations from watching dozens of hours of this event (all gamers and myself combined). Hope this helps !!

Robert
  2. 09-18-2003, 06:02 PM
    Is there something I am doing wrong, because I have not been able to break 360 yards in probably thousands of attempts. I have noticed that sometimes I can get in the 340s and only go 150 mph. But other times I have gone 156 and only get in the 350s. Is there a trick to the timing in limit cuts or is it something else I am doing wrong?
  3. 09-18-2003, 07:36 PM
    I've found that the longest jumps are often accomplished if you can get your cab to buck at just the right time. The window for this to work is very short though. You could buck too early and you'll jump over the lip of the ramp or you could also buck in a way that will seemingly scrape your rear bumper along the ramp and cost you lots of speed. The trick is to get the perfect buck and be going at max velocity at the same time. Practice with your timing and you should be getting past 360 soon.
    Martin Bedard

Arcade Finder - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
  4. 09-19-2003, 03:28 PM
    Thanks for the tips, I did break 360 today with a jump of about 365. I know how to get the nose pointing the right way, the only thing I need to do now is get my limit cuts right to break the average top speed of 155.
  5. Average Speeds

09-19-2003, 11:24 PM
    Hello Laudy32:

Since April 2001, I am conservatively estimating that I have personally played thru, or watched, over 10,000 "Crazy Jumps" (1-1). In fact, I probably invested nearly 24 hours myself in this, and my best is in the 370 range. Nowhere near as good as others, but up there nonetheless.

Here are some statistics based on what I have noticed overall...

-> Favourite vehicle to use - cab, hands down. No jump over 370, ever, was accomplished via rickshaw

-> Highest speed attained (when speedometer is in use) - 160 or 161...I have seen, to date and on tape (and I have over 20 tapes of jumps), ONE (1) single instance of 160 or 161...clearly, mind you, and ONE (1) instance of 157. I have seen more than a few 156 speeds attained. However, on the average, 153-155 seems to be the average top takeoff speed for all jumps over 360...again when the speedometer is utilized/visible

-> Favourite driver - since cab performance varies by driver, I'll let you know a trade secret...of all the verified 370+ jumps, Gena has never been used. Of the rest, although each of the three drivers was used for the world's longest verified jumps, one driver was used in more jumps than the others...Axel

In other words, from submitted scores only, Axel's 370+ leaps in quantity exceed those from gamers using BD Joe or Gus. However, this is just in quantity, not quality. In any statistical situation with (x) possibilities, it is not a given that each of the (x) possibilities must have been encountered the same number of times. That, plus perhaps Axel is simply a favourite driver for aesthetic reasons.

Me, I like the cab Gus uses due to loss of speed considerations at the bottom of the hill. Others prefer BD Joe due to higher maximum speed and/or the length of his cab. Personal choice, I guess.

-> Average jumps - speaking based on scores I have verified over the past 30 months, only one (1) gamer to date has verified jumps that average 370-374 yards...Hadley Rones. Out of 12 or 13 straight jumps, not a single on under 370...all in an unbroken string and captured by video camera.

Another gamer, more recently, has been achieving quite a few 360+ yard leaps...Todd Rogers. Not surprising considering his acclaimed skills at games of all types. My own personal average jump is 325-345 yards, consistently, although from time to time I occassionally will come in at 295-325 (rarely...1 in 25-50 leaps)

-> Number of accelerations - average is 3 from top to bottom. Minimum number for a 360+ yard leap, to the best recollection of my personal leaps, is 2, and I distinctly recall doing a 350-359 yard leap with one strategic acceleration near the bottom. So it's quality, not quantity.

However, I've seen a FEW gamers backing up and getting 4 or even 5 boosts in...rarely 5, but do-able.

-> The big issue (Nose Up or Down ?) - it is my personal experience that, although I know not how to do this intentionally, jumps with the nose "up" tend to set more 360+ records overall. Now, I do not purport to know how to differentiate between how high or moderate the "nose up" should be, but it's something to consider for the serious Crazy Jumper

Well, I hope that helps a bit. When you are ready, please do send your jump record in. I will be pleased to verify. Make sure it's taped !!

Robert
Join us