Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - New World Record !!

1. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - New World Record !!

11-25-2003, 04:40 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

The latest world record attempt on the classic Gameboy title "Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" has been verified. Ryan Williamson, who hails from Canada, achieved a new personal best thus beating his previous world record run. In his quest to come close to the 2 hour mark, he improved his final run to 2:07:49 (2 hours, 7 minutes, 49 seconds).

Perhaps the finest adventure title ever released for the Gameboy (along with "Metroid 2: Return of Samus"), this has been my 3rd time enjoying watching Ryan's ever-faster performances on this title. Below is a brief recap of his latest and greatest run...and as usual, I cannot divulge the precise sequence of certain decisions he made, so will list the
    order of dungeons completed as "1st dungeon completed", regardless of which it is, and so forth, until the 9th and final dungeon is reached, as all players must follow the same path at that point in the game.

THE PATH TO VICTORY

0:10:59 - completes 1st dungeon
    0:19:34 - 2nd dungeon
    0:35:55 - 3rd dungeon
    0:55:24 - 4th dungeon
    1:09:42 - 5th dungeon
    1:26:45 - 6th dungeon
    1:45:41 - 7th dungeon
    2:00:37 - 8th dungeon
    2:02:57 - enters "Wind Fish" egg
    2:04:09 - defeats 1st boss
    2:05:14 - defeats 2nd boss
    2:05:50 - defeats 3rd boss
    2:06:36 - defeats 4th boss
    2:07:49 - delivers final blow to 5th boss, thus completing the game under Twin Galaxies rules governing this title

Ryan actually accomplished this on August 2nd, 2003, yet I was unable to write the article until now, so my apologies to Ryan for the delay. And congratulations, Ryan, on an impressive new world record on this title !!

Robert
  2. 11-30-2003, 09:12 AM
    Hey Rob!!!

Thanks for the post. It's been a while since i've been in here (I'm not at all well these days with a nagging horrible case of the flu that's had me for 3 WEEKS!!!) Also Survivor is eating up a lot of time while I get better ;-)

Anyways, I'm going to start playing again and hope to beat that 2:07 run before Xmas.

I know you're busy Rob so thanks again happy gaming!

Ryan W.
  3. Just Curious

12-01-2003, 02:27 PM
    Hi Ryan:

After reviewing several of your runs, I am curious how feasible it is to envision a sub-2 hour performance one day. There does not seem to be too many ways to shave off more than a few seconds here and there, so maybe re-evaluating the sequence of completion when combined with the various warp songs can lead to shaving off significant additional seconds.

I have to believe that across two hours a few seconds can easily be shaved off here and there, but only a pro like yourself can determine if it is possible to still shave off several minutes more.

Let me know what you think. Thanks !!

Robert
  4. 12-11-2003, 02:02 AM
    Hey Ron.... yes, I'm trying to figure out some rearrangements as I think the best I can get with this system is on the order of 2:04 something.

The warp song and where I use it is important and I'm also trying to figure out a better way to get the ghost first to his house then back to his grave. This takes a significant amount of time. Another consideration is money, when and where to get it.

This is a busy time of the year for me and I received a promotion at work making me all the more busy. I'm off late next week and will be working at it then.

Cheers till then.

RYAN
  5. Great !!

12-11-2003, 02:11 PM
    Hi Ryan:

Looking forward to it. The 2:05 barrier is your next logical goal. Whether sub-2:00 is even remotely possible remains to be seen, but it sure would be something !!

Robert
  6. 12-11-2003, 03:45 PM
    Ryan -

I'm throwing in my encouragement for you to try for sub 2 hours!

Keep trying buddy! You never know what discoveries you might make in the 11th hour!

8)
  7. 12-11-2003, 04:56 PM
    Interesting. All I can say is that it will make '04 even more interesting.

Ryan
  8. 01-02-2005, 04:12 PM
    With the absolute and utmost sincere apologies to Ryan Williamson, the Fastest Completion time is now in the database at last. This was not intentionally done, heck, I've even inadvertently had a score slip past me when posting everything into the database, and I will be personally going through the forums and verifying that all scores announced as new WR's and the like by referee's are in the database. If they're not, I will ensure they get ported over A.S.A.P.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  9. 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM
    Glad to see the time finally in. Wondering if Ryan was planning anymore attempts. I'm relaxing from my trip back from the Rose Bowl (greatness) and then I'm gonna fire up LA DX and begin some runs.

Of course, my runs will not be in the same cateogry as Ryan's since he uses the GB version, mine is the GBC. Well, whichever version he did his run on, I plan to do it on the other - the reason being two fold.

1) I do not want to use save/quits. They exit you to the title screen in this game, thus breaking my personal belief of never exiting the game file.

2) I want to use the Thief Trick, a non-glitch and well documented strategy by Nintendo themselves in their guides, to bypass the 980 rupees needed for the Bow/Arrows.

Either way, I'll send the final run I get to SDA for the video, and then send the run to TG for verification.
  10. 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
    I don't know if Ryan is still doing Link's Awakening, but I know I am. I bought a copy at Gamestop a couple of days ago and have been plotting the route and practicing. We won't be competing against each other if you're doing the DX version, though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us