Video Game Championships 2004 ??

1. 06-17-2004, 10:32 AM
    ESPN will be covering the World Cyber League Games League next year (2005) and the EA Madden Tournament. G4TechTV will also be covering tournaments in the future.

They did a Video Game special a few weeks ago, focusing on this guy named "Fatality" and his team. Never heard of him or his team, but the guy was one cocky son of a gun, saying he's to video games what Michael Jordan was to Basketball. Point is, ESPN is interested in covering those national championships - for CS, UT, etc, etc. Only console game is Madden, and only due to EA's ties to the leagues.

I doubt you'll ever see standard record setting covered.
  2. 12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin
    They did a Video Game special a few weeks ago, focusing on this guy named "Fatality" and his team. Never heard of him or his team, but the guy was one cocky son of a gun, saying he's to video games what Michael Jordan was to Basketball.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=19&id=923

One thing I hate is cocky gamers, but I suppose he's earned the right to gloat..

Anyway, it is cool that gaming is getting picked up on ESPN, but I agree, the stuff we do will continue to be held in its current limitations. At least for now..
  3. 12-15-2004, 08:01 PM
    Fatal1ty is \"that damn good...\" when it comes to certain FPS's. He's nearly unstoppable in several first person shooters, though there are better players than him for some, such as Counterstrike. But the \"Michael Jordan\" of video gaming in general? Ha... no.

Unfortunately, nowadays it seems like the only games that have big competitions would be FPS's, Fighting games, and StarCraft.
  4. 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidFaia
    Fatal1ty is "that damn good..." when it comes to certain FPS's. He's nearly unstoppable in several first person shooters, though there are better players than him for some, such as Counterstrike.
    over the past 3 years....or is it 4 now?!?! Any game that Fatality has decided to try and win a tournament championship at he has done so.....quite easily even.

It's amazing he can play for 8+ hours essentially everyday.
    But the "Michael Jordan" of video gaming in general? Ha... no.
    Actually it's not a bad analogy. Michael Jordan took NBA salaries to a totally new level. Fatality has put professional gaming in a spotlight where he has raised the bar for what gamers can make at these events.

Yes, the analogy isn't correct if you look at it in terms of best gamers of all-time. Remember when Thresh was da bomb in FPS gaming....then Immortal....now Fatality the past few years.

He has just gotten a lot more recognition cuz he has stuck with it for a few years now and is making a quite nice living from it.

if Thresh was 6 years younger where he was peaking this past year, I'd bet he would have seriously given Fatality a challenge if not actually beat him.

In 5 more years, if Fatality is still on top of his game as he is now then it will be incredible...and quite Jordan-esk.
    Unfortunately, nowadays it seems like the only games that have big competitions would be FPS's, Fighting games, and StarCraft.
    yep. I'm not sure why that surprises you though. To compete against others 1v1 is different than 2 playing a game for score. In the latter case you are just playing the game....not against your opponent. There isn't much strategy in that...you just score as high as you can....or need to score to win.

In 1v1 direct competition, there are lots of unpredictables and variances of the gameplay that can occur in a match....at least for the better games...and well designed deathmatch maps.

There also is always the possibility of the upset in direct competition. In a scoring game like traditional arcade games, there is small likelihood of any upsets...you score what you can score. Sure, there can still be surprises....but likely no upsets.
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
  5. The MJ of Gaming

12-21-2004, 05:00 PM
    Hello everyone:

This is a fair question to explore...who, if anyone, is the Michael Jordan of gaming ?

I'd have to say that it is someone that excels at all of the basic skillsets of jumping, shooting, driving, firing, strategy, even pinball. Even the latest rage of titles, the dancing-based genre. Add to that 2-D and 3-D proficiency. Determine key titles representative of the various skillsets and genres. And then you're left with the big question. Who, if anyone, has actually tried them all, let alone excelled at them all ?

Probably very few gamers indeed.

I'd definitely classify the gamer in question as the top man to beat in the FPS genre at this time, hands down. Plus he has a W/L record that is unparalleled in his sector of the hobby.

However, 2-D shooting based games is another matter all together. Every skillset has it's own player who excels above all others, and in this one the name Don Nauert would be at the top. There are a lot of skillsets out there, and probably each has a player better than most, but I have to wonder who is really THE BEST overall gamer of all time. It's never been formally addressed before, and in all fairness, it will be a tough, worldwide task to find someone who fits the bill.

Robert
  6. 12-21-2004, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by permafrostrick
    Yes, the analogy isn't correct if you look at it in terms of best gamers of all-time.
    Which is how Fatal1ty looks at it, I'm sure.
  7. Re: The MJ of Gaming

12-22-2004, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    This is a fair question to explore...who, if anyone, is the Michael Jordan of gaming ?
    This has gotten a tad off-tangent. Originally, in the context of the post, it is said that Fatality is the Michael Jordan of video games. "Video games" in this case referring to FPS games....and even more specifically, FPS games used in CPL and other professional league championships the past 4-5 years.

Fatality has dominated these events in the FPS genre like no other.
    I'd definitely classify the gamer in question as the top man to beat in the FPS genre at this time, hands down. Plus he has a W/L record that is unparalleled in his sector of the hobby.
    there ya go. :P That's all I was saying also. For Fatality, it hasn't been a hobby for quite some time...but is his current career/profession!
    but I have to wonder who is really THE BEST overall gamer of all time.
    I don't think anyone here is saying that Fatality is the best gamer of all time.

While Michael Jordan ranks quite high, he isn't designated as the best athlete of all time...which is what the proper parallel would be to saying Fatality is the best gamer of all time.

Of the current "gaming" generation, Fatality is clearly the most recognized, feared to play against, most money won, etc. professional video gamer there is. In that context, it's easy to see why many say he is the best gamer of all time.

IMHO, I think...even though it's for one game...that Bobby Fischer is perhaps the best gamer of all time...to the point of some degree of insanity. He accomplished in the early 70s what no other had ever seen...and will likely never match.
    --Rick Carter
  8. 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
    In advance, pardon my cheese-eating-surrender-monkey...

What have I heard recently from Bobby Fischer? I have heard that this anti-Semitic person of Jewish heritage applauded the attacks of September 11. On my scale, he now ranks slightly above Osama bin Laden, yet doesn't quite have the status of a steaming pile of dog crap.

The last thing I read about Bobby Fischer was that he was trying to accuse the government of Japan of somehwat immasculating him. His claim was that he had been imprisoned near a nuclear facility, and that was done purposefully so that any radiation given off might reduce the size of one of Mr. Fischer's pieces. He then went on to make indirect claims about said pieces by claiming he wears a size 17 shoe and bragging about lots of entranced geisha girls. (That's about as well as I can dance around the topic without using a four-letter word, but I don't think you really need to be Fellini to figure it out.)

This is all separate from the real issue, but I figured it was some nice background information on the former world chess champion, (who just also happens to be an ignorant, um, caca-head.)

Garry Kasparov would beat Long John Fischer like a redheaded stepchild.
  9. 12-22-2004, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfevr76
    This is all separate from the real issue, but I figured it was some nice background information on the former world chess champion, (who just also happens to be an ignorant, um, caca-head.)
    yeah, perhaps...but those views etc. are totally separate from his skill at chess....well, more like what his skill was in the 70s. I agree with you that Kasporov likely could kick his butt today....if Fischer even still is sane enough to be able to sit down and play a civilized game of chess.

I only mentioned him cuz when you think of best overall all-time gamer...you can't just focus on modern video gamers....but need to consider all-time.

ie. Michael Jordan? sure, he was the best in the NBA for a period of time in the late 80s and early 90s. yes, not many can match what he was doing during that time period. However, there are several others who are "equal". Dr. J for one even for the same sport. Gretzsky for hockey. Ali for boxing. Decathletics from the olympics etc. They are all great and among the best if not the very best in their sport/element. I don't think you can clearly state either of them are the best overall athlete.

hmm, aren't these actually "games" too? perhaps these guys are the best gamers of all-time. hehe

it's all in the specific context/area.

There is a parallel between these sports and chess and FPS games though cuz you are competing against others....not just playing the game. Playing mspac....you are only playing the game really...not competing against anyone else. All I can do is score as high as possible to try and beat the scores of others. Whatever they do doesn't affect my score. What an opponent(s) does in UT2004 totall can affect how you play the game. There is a lot of strategy and changes you do in-game based on your opponent. This is similar for certain sports also.

Let's just say stuff like Fatality is among the best gamers in the past 5 years.
    --Rick Carter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us