Leprechaun - Increased Bounty Value !!

1. Space Jockey

08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
    Hi Douglas:

I thank my lucky stars that I am NOT the 2600 referee in case you want to submit a 10M score on that title !! A few years back I played it out to tie Ron's score at just over 100K, and I thought that it was an incredible waste of time. Verifying, let alone playing, a 10M score would surely put me into a coma !!

I actually will go on record as saying that I would rather watch a marathon of equal duration on \"E.T.\" than one on \"Space Jockey\"...so that should tell you something.

Robert
  2. 08-19-2004, 05:51 PM
    I'm not attempting a 10,000,000 point run on Space Jockey. The only way I could do that would be to find the stamina heretofore only mustered (supposedly) by one individual. I am NOT playing for 80 hours straight. All I was saying is that playing Leprechaun in the fashion I am going to is going to be just as boring. You did say milking the stages was legal, so I have taken this strategy to new heights in sheer monotony.

I still need to know whether or not videotaping a run on a version of MAME other than WolfMAME78 is legal though. I do not want to waste six hours doing the insane only to find I am going to be disqualified. Let me know.
    Douglas Loyd
    Perfect Pac-Man (MAME, 5/16/09)
  3. 08-20-2004, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfevr76
    Unless I have completely missed something or I have not played the game out long enough, I think I have "Lucky" figured out. It certainly looked like he had reached his top speed and I was effectively dodging him to the tune of 4000 points per minute.
    On the earliest levels his top speed remains below your own anyway, so marathoning is very simple. However, I can't find a way of matching your 4000/minute & I'm not about to try either! :)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  4. Just to Clarify

08-20-2004, 05:53 PM
    Hello all:

As I stated a few replies up from the other day, for the purpose of this bounty, the leeching tactic is permissible. For true WR recognition it is not.

Robert
  5. 08-20-2004, 06:13 PM
    Robert,
    If my memory serves me correctly didn't Steve and I both leech during the tournament, and wasn't it permissable? And if leeching is not allowed, scores done buy simply increasing level? How long is leeching a board?
    ~Mike~
  6. 08-22-2004, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrikal
    How long is leeching a board?
    Obviously not TG, but MARP recently used Pot O' Gold (a clone - gets faster quicker) and set a time limit of 20 seconds per board. I haven't read in any depth the TG policy...
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  7. 08-23-2004, 05:21 AM
    I still need to know whether or not videotaping a run off of MAME is legal or not. I have more than one of these I'm gonna stab at. I need to know lest someone beats me to them. (I'm working on Leprechaun and Chicken Shift.)
    Douglas Loyd
  8. Let Me Run by Mark

08-24-2004, 01:31 PM
    Hi:

This one is a toughie...I still can't understand why you can't record directly to an INP file. However, for some titles (\"Trog\"), INP recordings are less than trustworthy, so the next-best-thing would be good if the TG Board of Referees decides yes on this.

If you have the right PC-to-VCR hookup, or a good camcorder, and can record in a continuous presentation from MAME start to launch (zoom in on the WolfMAME 0.78 screen before you hit enter after the program is set to record), and throughout the end of the presentation, that might be good, including a scroll thru via of the options as they are established. That would be a worst-case scenario. Ideally the INP should be do-able, but in an extreme case, TG would have to at least consider the alternative.

Let me present this before the referees and see what they say. Thansk.

Robert
  9. 08-26-2004, 10:03 AM
    OK. Pending the answer to the private message I sent you, Robert, I'm FINALLY going to complete this Leprechaun run. I will be leeching points like crazy for quite a long period of time. Not that the life count is going to matter to me, but I do have a question. It says \"three lives to start\" in the rules. When I set my dip switch setting for lives to \"3\" I actually start the game with four lives. Is that some bug in the program? Most likely I'm going to score the entire 1,500,000 on one life anyway and just let the rest of them die, but I want everything to be legitimate.

Finally, where do I send the .inp file?
    Douglas Loyd
  10. 08-29-2004, 01:00 PM
    This has got to be the most boring bounty to score. Having done a test run to see how long this is going to take, I say it will be right at the five hour mark. My strategy works and I managed to scrape together 622,815 in 2:04. I was going for the whole thing on one life, but I lost one at about 480,000 trying to glance at the clock. (That'll teach me.)

The bounty rules call for three lives and one extra. When I set the dip switches to three lives to start, it gives me four to start. I don't know if this is a glitch or not. In any event, I am going to tank the game after my fourth sleuth dies, just to be on the safe side. (I should be past 1,500,000 long before that happens.)
    Douglas Loyd
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Join us