Submitting scores

1. Submitting scores

08-04-2004, 08:48 AM
    This question refers not only to the bounties, but to pretty much any submission. The rules state that the player must record him/herself activating the console prior to gameplay to help ensure no cheating occurs. The game is then played. The camera is left to run for a few seconds to make sure the score is accurately recorded.

Now, I have three world records on tape, and I'm wondering if I can submit them as they are. (One of them is a score for a game included in this contest, so I figured this would be a fine place to ask such a question.)

During my recording of the bounty score game, I turn the machine on in front of the camera, press reset, and start the game. I play an entire game and break the world record, but not the bounty score. I then press reset again and start a new game. Is this allowed? Can I play consecutive games in an attempt to best my previous effort or do I need the shut the console down again and make each game a separate entity? My second game breaks the bounty score. I close in on the score, then pan back out. Since I wasn't content with my performance, I hit reset and play a third game out, pan in on the score and let that stand as my best performance. Is making consecutive attempt in the same session legal?

I also have a Haunted House speed run done in the same fashion. I play four games (rather horribly) to their completion and then demolish the record on try number five. Since they were consecutive games, the same question as above applies.

The third record is a perfect Pitfall run. I startup the game in the proper fashion and explain to the camera the importance of the first six screens of the game. I start the game, play the first six screens, and am not content with the turnout, so I reset the game and start over. Since I had a little trouble on this recording, I don't actually finish the first screens in a manner I was content with until about the tenth try. I then run all the way to the end of the game and get a perfect score. Is THAT allowed? The entire game, including the startup of the console, was recorded, but multiple tries were made to complete the first 30 seconds as expeditiously as possible. Is this legal?

I'll be eagerly awaiting the answers. Thank you.
    Douglas Loyd
    Perfect Pac-Man (MAME, 5/16/09)
  2. Re: Submitting scores

08-04-2004, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfevr76
    This question refers not only to the bounties, but to pretty much any submission. The rules state that the player must record him/herself activating the console prior to gameplay to help ensure no cheating occurs. The game is then played. The camera is left to run for a few seconds to make sure the score is accurately recorded.
    Just to let you know, it is much easier to achieve a recording like this with a CVR, but the video camera recording is equally acceptible.

Now, I have three world records on tape, and I'm wondering if I can submit them as they are. (One of them is a score for a game included in this contest, so I figured this would be a fine place to ask such a question.)

During my recording of the bounty score game, I turn the machine on in front of the camera, press reset, and start the game. I play an entire game and break the world record, but not the bounty score. I then press reset again and start a new game. Is this allowed? Can I play consecutive games in an attempt to best my previous effort or do I need the shut the console down again and make each game a separate entity? My second game breaks the bounty score. I close in on the score, then pan back out. Since I wasn't content with my performance, I hit reset and play a third game out, pan in on the score and let that stand as my best performance. Is making consecutive attempt in the same session legal?
    This is perfectly okay. So long as recording rules are followed, you may include as many attempts, even failed ones, on one tape.

I also have a Haunted House speed run done in the same fashion. I play four games (rather horribly) to their completion and then demolish the record on try number five. Since they were consecutive games, the same question as above applies.
    Again, this is allowed.

The third record is a perfect Pitfall run. I startup the game in the proper fashion and explain to the camera the importance of the first six screens of the game. I start the game, play the first six screens, and am not content with the turnout, so I reset the game and start over. Since I had a little trouble on this recording, I don't actually finish the first screens in a manner I was content with until about the tenth try. I then run all the way to the end of the game and get a perfect score. Is THAT allowed? The entire game, including the startup of the console, was recorded, but multiple tries were made to complete the first 30 seconds as expeditiously as possible. Is this legal?
    This is also allowed.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the answers. Thank you.
    No problemo! 8)
  3. 08-05-2004, 06:28 AM
    A CVR you say? What's that? Or was that supposed to say VCR? If it's a VCR recording, how do you know who is actually playing? This would indeed be MUCH simpler as far as recording, because I have a tremendous brightness problem. During my Pitfall game, I had to block all the windows, turn of all the lights, and turn the TV brightness down so far that I couldn't even see Harry's legs when he was in the tunnel. However, when you watch it on tape, it's pretty bright, but at least you can see what's happening. Anyway, I'd be thrilled if a VCR recording was acceptable.
    Douglas Loyd
    Perfect Pac-Man (MAME, 5/16/09)
  4. 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfevr76
    A CVR you say? What's that? Or was that supposed to say VCR? If it's a VCR recording, how do you know who is actually playing? This would indeed be MUCH simpler as far as recording, because I have a tremendous brightness problem. During my Pitfall game, I had to block all the windows, turn of all the lights, and turn the TV brightness down so far that I couldn't even see Harry's legs when he was in the tunnel. However, when you watch it on tape, it's pretty bright, but at least you can see what's happening. Anyway, I'd be thrilled if a VCR recording was acceptable.
    I'm sorry, it was a typo. That was supposed to be VCR.
Join us