- Tom Votava

1. - Tom Votava

03-07-2004, 08:01 PM
    Hello All.

I've been researching this game for the speed completion bounty and came across a few glitches that are worth bringing up:

1st: At the very end of the game, it's possible to skip the computer you're supposed to blow up by holding 'right' on the controller as you enter its room. This should probably be banned, although using it would save several minutes of time, since you'd be able to also skip rescuing the main characters in the game (which are required before it's possible to destroy the computer).

2nd: Using the communicator ("tranceiver") has several strange effects on your surroundings. Whenever you use it, everything resets as if you have just entered the room you're in: Items you've collected reappear, enemies "warp" to where they began, and pit traps that you've set off stop expanding. This one's a little more grey-area. It happens every time you use the communicator, so it seems like it's allowable. Still, this can be exploited pretty badly. It can be used to quickly collect items and easily get through some tough spots. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Tom V.
  2. 03-07-2004, 08:33 PM
    I personally think that the computer glitch should be banned..

As for the tranceiver, I think it should only be allowed to be used when absolutely necessary. (Are there any times in the game when it's necessary?)
  3. Kelly Needs to Comment

03-07-2004, 10:29 PM
    Hi Tom:

It's been awhile since I played the classic "Metal Gear". That computer seems like it was part of the intended "spirit of the game", so bypassing it is a no-no. As for the tranceiver, I'll let Kelly field that one.

This title was the first in the NES platform that drove me bonkers. The opening part where you have to make your way thru the jungle was ths pits. I called NIntendo Power over that to get the path.

Here's my take. You have like 4-5 exits and maybe 3-4 screens to go thru before you clear it. If you do the math, and assume each attempt takes 30 seconds, that's a LOT of time wasted until you get it right.

So...other than trial and error, is there any secret to discovering the path on your own ? That pretty much turned me off the game until I called them up to find out how to get thru it. The rest I did on my own.

Robert
  4. Re: Metal Gear Glitches

03-07-2004, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdrunner
    Hello All.

I've been researching this ame for the speed completion bounty and came across a few glitches that are worth bringing up:

1st: At the very end of the game, it's possible to skip the computer you're supposed to blow up by holding 'right' on the controller as you enter its room. This should probably be banned, although using it would save several minutes of time, since you'd be able to also skip rescuing the main characters in the game (which are required before it's possible to destroy the computer).

Banned without a doubt! Since the Super Computer is an integral part to beating the game, bypassing this would not be allowed. Good eye on this one :)

2nd: Using the communicator ("tranceiver") has several strange effects on your surroundings. Whenever you use it, everything resets as if you have just entered the room you're in: Items you've collected reappear, enemies "warp" to where they began, and pit traps that you've set off stop expanding. This one's a little more grey-area. It happens every time you use the communicator, so it seems like it's allowable. Still, this can be exploited pretty badly. It can be used to quickly collect items and easily get through some tough spots.
    Now I knew knew about the Pit Trap one, [makes the pit disappear, even though it's STILL there, which if someone just walked in the room after you did that and you forgot the pit, it's an interesting death] but I wasn't aware that this could be used to reset everything. I see what you mean about the possibility of exploitation. I seem to remember an area with a huge tank where you have to drop TONS of mines to destroy it... this exploit could help net max mines and make that a cinch.

The whole problem here though, is how to word a ruling on this so that if someone does this glitch by accident that they're not penalized, yet someone who does it too much will have their score DQ. It'd be a matter of figuring how many mistakes to allow, or if to allow it. I'm going to have to think about this for a day so I can gather a more clear and concise decision as I realize the effects this could have. Thanks Tom for posting about these here. Also please check your PM's on the forum please :)

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  5. Now Compare to SMB

03-08-2004, 05:33 PM
    Hi Kelly:

In your last statement..."if someone does this glitch by accident that they're not penalized, yet someone who does it too much will have their score DQ"...this is reminiscent of the SMB (8-4) 3rd pipe glitch in that respect.

For consistency purposes, as you consider your ruling, keep that one in mind. We will abide by your decision as NES referee. Thanks !!

Robert
  6. Re: Now Compare to SMB

03-08-2004, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    Hi Kelly:

In your last statement..."if someone does this glitch by accident that they're not penalized, yet someone who does it too much will have their score DQ"...this is reminiscent of the SMB (8-4) 3rd pipe glitch in that respect.

For consistency purposes, as you consider your ruling, keep that one in mind. We will abide by your decision as NES referee. Thanks !!

Robert
    It's funny how you should mention that, as the very thought came to me at work tonight as I was making a todo list for when I came home. The last thing I wish to do is bring forth controversy. I believe I know what my final decision will be, I just need to confirm something.

Robert & Tom: Refresh my memory here... when playing the game, does the radio ever make a beeping noise or such, to let you know of an incoming transmission?

That's the one thing that's been on my mind in regards to this. Once I've gotten a reply from either of you guys, I know I shall be able to make a concise decision.

It looks like I'm going to be having to make quite a few of these toughies in the next few days ^^;; [Not that I'm worried of course. And I am keeping these logged down in a Notebook Robert, so that when the new site goes live, I may add them.]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
    [Who's very happy with his New Sega Nomad]
  7. Aw Geez...

03-10-2004, 06:01 PM
    Hi Kelly:

Sorry, it's been way too long for me to remember a detail like that. My apologies for my forgetfulness. Tom will have to act as our memory here.

Amazing how I can remember all the following nonsense but cannot remember something as important as the tranceiver...

-> Richie Cunningham's brother was "Chuck" on "Happy Days"
    -> What each of the buttons on "Speed Racer's" wheel of the Mach5 did
    -> I was born to the minute of when Herbert Hoover died (stupid but true)
    -> The real names of the cast of "Gilligan's Island" are Jonas Grumby, Roy Hinkley, Ginger Grant, Mary Ann Saunders, Thurston Howell III, and his wife's maiden name was "Wentworth" (Gilligan's last name was never revealed)
    -> How many steps there are up to Felix and Oscar's apartment

Okay...Robert needs more to do in life than work and play video games. Obviously I had my fair share of childhood dedicated to TV-land.

So gamers...you see what too much TV and gaming can do to you ? You can be 39 years old too and remember stuff like this !! Okay, it helps me when playing Trivial Pursuit (TV and Screen editions) but not much else.

Robert
  8. 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM
    Hi Robert.

Just wanted to let you (and everyone) know that Kelly and I have been working on this issue over the e-mail and he will soon have what he needs to make a ruling on this.

So how many steps are there up to Felix and Oscar's place? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Tom V.
  9. 03-11-2004, 11:19 AM
    Hi Robert.

Just wanted to let you (and everyone) know that Kelly and I have been working on this issue over the e-mail and he will soon have what he needs to make a ruling on this.

So how many steps are there up to Felix and Oscar's place? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Tom V.
  10. Answer !!

03-11-2004, 04:22 PM
    http://odd_couple.tripod.com/faq.html - for fun
    http://odd_couple.tripod.com/trivia.html - also for fun

Trivia Mania: The Odd Couple (Trivia Mania: TV Greats)
    by Xavier Einstein - currently out of print

Hi Tom:

If memory serves, it was either 173, 175 or 176 steps. I have the above book buried somewhere home, but I believe it's one of those three.

Robert

PS - here's the one that has all the experts stumped...even I don't know !!

-> What does Barney Rubble do for a living ? (no, the one episode he worked with Fred does not count !!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us