- Douglas Loyd

1. - Douglas Loyd

11-18-2004, 07:04 AM
    Robert,

I must now ask: Is point leeching going to be allowed for this title, as there is a limited amount you can do? Leeching this title would be comparable to, say, a \"jump-next-to-the-big-ape\" move on Donkey Kong to maximize your score before the timer goes to zero.

Having watched an available playback of this game, a certain gamer, (who shall remain unnamed :roll: ) looks as if they gave up halfway through level 11 and just kept scoring points for dodging cars until he ran out of time with all his remaining lives. I'm assuming that since this technique was acceptable, that it will be throughout?
  2. Re: Mr. Do's Wild Ride

11-18-2004, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfevr76
    Robert,

I must now ask: Is point leeching going to be allowed for this title, as there is a limited amount you can do? Leeching this title would be comparable to, say, a "jump-next-to-the-big-ape" move on Donkey Kong to maximize your score before the timer goes to zero.
    Robert is at Funspot for the next week...and likely busy when he returns.

Anyway, as you state this type of leeching is identical to Donkey Kong point leeching. This type of leeching is allowed by TG.

For Wild Ride it is even more important as the player might not be waiting to leech points...cuz from what I have seen the timer counts down at nearly the same rate you get the extra 100 or 300 points for each car dodge...but instead, the player might be waiting for letters for an extra man or perhaps knows a combo will come out that when gotten will award big points....which makes that wait worthwhile.

It's part of the game....allowed.
    Having watched an available playback of this game, a certain gamer, (who shall remain unnamed :roll: ) looks as if they gave up halfway through level 11 and just kept scoring points for dodging cars until he ran out of time with all his remaining lives. I'm assuming that since this technique was acceptable, that it will be throughout?
    Is level 11 impassable? It sounds like to me he never got a method for getting through level 11...so just maximizes his points knowing his game will be ending there.

It's allowed.
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
  3. 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
    No. Level 11 is very passable. However, the layout of the board and the mixture of cars actually lets you gain points a slight bit. The key is, level 12 is very tough. Not impassible as I've done it several times. But it seems like a \"pattern\" (I use that term very loosely for this game) is hard to find to finish it. I can find ways to the top left at the start of the loops for level 12 almost every time. But finding the timing necessary is sometimes out of your control during the limited timer countdown. That coupled with the top left not being very friendly to hand around in and it spells disaster. In the monthly competition I personally would blow all of my men on level 11 getting every last car point and maybe near the end try to run to as close to the finish as possible without finishing. Then on my last man I would finish level 11, and cross my fingers that I got lucky and got through 12 with the one man. It seemed like the smartest move based on my current level of play. Back in the 80's I seem to remember frequently getting through level 12 and then level 18 was the bear. The bounty should be very doable. I just have not taken the time to try for it since the monthly competition (in which I tried very hard).

Not sure if I am the player you are referring to. But I don't think my inp was ever made public. I suspect Robert adopted my stratagy as I talked with him about it during the montly competition to make sure it was legal. I would liken it to making **** on level 21 of DK with all your men. Your not gonna go into the kill screen and take only 400 or 500 points per man. Your gonna get every last point on the last rivit board then take only the last man into the kill screen (or maybe even say screw the kill screen and take more points if your wise and can live with not \"finishing the game\".)

BTW, I own my own Mr. Do's Wildride upright as well.
    Gregory S. Erway

#1 Tapper TGTS 3,162,125 05Jun05 (Guiness 2007 score)
    #1 Rootbeer Tapper TGMS 1,959,200 28Jul86
    #1 Wild Western 826,900 07Jun04
    #1 Pepper II 917,540 11Mar07 (over 1mil now...on tape)
    D2K progress: 199,700 L5 100m (board 36)
  4. Allowed Due to...

11-30-2004, 10:03 AM
    Hi Douglas:

Under the guidelines for time-based games, most leeching is allowed unless it abuses a game glitch. The tactic in question does not, thus is allowed.

A similiar tactic would be in \"Cosmos\" for the MAME platform. There is a certain stage that I can reach by by 2nd ship and basically repeat at approx 30-35K per stage. Makes for a nice point-pop and I could easily raise my score to the 550-560K range if employed. I have just not done that yet.

A time-based or fuel-based game is basically the same thing in MOST cases, but the TG Board of Referees reserves the right to discuss each instance on a case-by-case basis, just to keep things on the up and up.

Robert
  5. Level 11

11-30-2004, 10:08 AM
    Hi again:

Level 11 is definitely do-able. It's level 12 that is such a pain. Also, levels 13 and 14 are no cakewalks. You can easily get stuck with a bad combo of cars in 13, and the top left of 14 is a killer.

Level 16 is not bad at all. 15 is inbetween 13/14 and 16 as far as difficulty goes, in my opinion.

In practice, level 17 can get you as you in a few spots. That leaves 18 which is even worse than 12.

In general, as with classic \"Donkey Kong\", another time-based game, one possible strategy is to reach stage 115 on your 1st life (a feat only 2 players have a shot at doing), then leech stage 115 three times, and attempt to finish game on last life. Permissible under TG time-based rules as covered in the leeching guidelines.

Robert
Join us