Deluxe Space Invaders bounty up for grabs!

1. Deluxe Space Invaders bounty up for grabs!

11-22-2004, 11:05 AM
    In Craig Kubey's book, The Winners' Book of Video Games, he mentions the existence of a hidden trick even better than the \"rainbow\" one from the original (page 74-75), although he doesn't mention how to uncover it, or which version (S.I. or Deluxe) has it (maybe both? Though I tend to think that Deluxe would have it, considering all the other tricks it has). He did hint that it might involve leaving a bottom 'skull' invader from every column. Well, not long ago someone emailed me saying that they've seen someone do just that, and that something \"cool\" does happen! Not only that, he also claims it exists in both the original and Deluxe versions! I've tried to replicate the trick w/o much success, but technically it is possible, as you can see from this screenshot:

The easiest way to do this yourself is at the start, immediately move right, and fire so that your shot will just skim the left side of the 1st barrier. If you notice, the invaders move 1 row at a time, starting with the bottom, on up to the top. You have to fire so that the bottom invader(s) move a split-second before your shot hits them. If they're moving left-to-right, you want to aim for their left edge, and vice-versa.

Bounty
    The first player that can pull off this trick (whether or not anything \"cool\" happens) and send me a video (pref. a MAME inp file) will receive $100!
  2. 11-22-2004, 05:44 PM
    So what exactly is the bounty for? Do we just have to shoot all the aliens except the bottom guy in each column?
  3. Re: Deluxe Space Invaders bounty up for grabs!

11-27-2004, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    ... it (trick) might involve leaving a bottom 'skull' invader from every column. Well, not long ago someone emailed me saying that they've seen someone do just that, and that something "cool" does happen!
Join us