thread

Donkey Kong World Record Being Challenged?

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Donkey Kong World Record Being Challenged?

02-21-2005, 07:23 AM
    Well, according the Twin Galaxies scoreboard, it looks like Billy Mitchell is fighting back and trying to get his Donkey Kong World Record back. With a score difference of only 13,300 a new World Record could happen any time now. :wink:

1. 100.00 % 947,200 Steve J Wiebe 07/06/2003

2. 98.60 % 933,900 Billy L Mitchell 05/27/2004
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  2. 02-21-2005, 08:20 AM
    I'm more than convinced that Billy can beat one million.

I watched him play almost all of that 933,900 and at no time did he ever do any of the point-pressing techniques that I have heard of. He never did the trick where you jump next to Donkey Kong's foot. He zipped right through all of the barrel-jumping boards without going for any extra points. He also did not attempt to maximize his points on the board right before the kill screen, after which he got a brief scolding from Dwayne Richard.

If he can get 50,000 for the first five screens, (which is the whole reason Robert offered the bounty for doing just that,) he can far surpass his own score on the board.

There is still an issue up in the air though. Steve Wiebe played a game to over a million already. There was a big brouhaha over this score and most of the details regarding it were in another thread. The thread was in the general discussion area under something like \"1,000,000 Donkey Kong already done and being sold?\" (A DVD copy of the game was sold on E-bay, with Zotmeister being the winner. More copies were cranked out after this.)
  3. 02-21-2005, 08:37 AM
    That's what I figured. The WR will fall soon. And it is crazy that Billy would not try to grab a hammer and get some extra barrels or even use up his extra men on or before the kill screen. I mean, with that small difference of 13K it could have been possible. Maybe Billy doesn't want to beat it but destroy it at the same time and not just squeak by??

Also, there is that DVD of the 1 million DK score floting around as well but who knows what's up with that. :?
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  4. 02-21-2005, 09:19 AM
    Wiebe and Mitchell have both broken a million already.

There was an interview with them together on retrogamingradio.com a few months ago, but the site seems to be having problems at the moment, so I can't provide a link.
  5. 02-21-2005, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Weehawk
    Wiebe and Mitchell have both broken a million already.

There was an interview with them together on retrogamingradio.com a few months ago, but the site seems to be having problems at the moment, so I can't provide a link.
    It's up now.

https://www.retrogamingradio.com/mp3/rgr1204.mp3

Around the 2:27 mark they confirm that they have both submitted tapes scoring over a million to TG.

Of course this is all a big secret, so don't tell anybody.

:P
  6. 02-21-2005, 10:19 AM
    Well I wonder which score is larger. :lol:

Also, I'm really beginning to believe that Billy's big secret is that he wants to be the first man to bust 1,000,000 on Ms. Pac-Man. It really sounds like that is the game he is talking about in this interview. He said he is 60% there and needs to get 20% better and needs 20% luck. Wouldn't that sound like which fruits you get in the game?? :o He also talks about being able to trick the game into releaseing the fruits that are worth the most points.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  7. 02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper

Also, I'm really beginning to believe that Billy's big secret is that he wants to be the first man to bust 1,000,000 on Ms. Pac-Man. It really sounds like that is the game he is talking about in this interview. He said he is 60% there and needs to get 20% better and needs 20% luck. Wouldn't that sound like which fruits you get in the game?? :o
    Is that even possible? I read somewhere that a perfect game was 914,xxx, or something like that.
  8. 02-21-2005, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidFaia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper

Also, I'm really beginning to believe that Billy's big secret is that he wants to be the first man to bust 1,000,000 on Ms. Pac-Man. It really sounds like that is the game he is talking about in this interview. He said he is 60% there and needs to get 20% better and needs 20% luck. Wouldn't that sound like which fruits you get in the game?? :o
    Is that even possible? I read somewhere that a perfect game was 914,xxx, or something like that.
    Darren Harris hinted at a major discovery being made along these lines in this thread: (click here)

He said he would start a thread on it in a couple of weeks, but no further information was forthcoming.
  9. 02-23-2005, 11:49 PM
    Wow, i just read through most of that thread. Saw my name mentioned a few times. If you don't know who I am, I'm the one that added ms pac to mame all those years ago, I've also done a number of fairly significant hacks, like 2 player simultaneous play. I'll post my thoughts here rather than bump an old thread. I'd like to disagree slightly with John about the difficulty of forcing the fruits. The r register is incremented with the code that runs. So given the same input you will get the same r register result. That should be obvious, if not then the mame input files would not work. The input is only accepted once per frame. Therefore the speed of the z80 is irrelevent. In order for your pattern to generate the same fruit you have a tolerance of an entire frame. 1/60 of a second, not milliionths of a second. That being said I do not believe it is possible to run even a single pattern with every input being within 1/60 of a second much less an entire game. And furthermore I don't think anyone runs patterns in ms pac anyway. So I will agree with John it is not possible. I'll also agree that ms pac was written by drunken college students. :P Also I don't believe the r register is ever cleared and I doubt it boots to zero. IIrc most of the registers boot in an undetermined state.

As for forcing mspac to go to 141 I've always beleived that is possible. But I've never gotten around to serious experimenting. Whether you get a reset or upside mazes depends on the values in ram, and those of course can be controled. There is a possiblity of it depending on the value read from the bus with no devices enabled. That would depend on the board. I think most boards will read FF in this case but it's possible some may not. I've just recently added some code to mame to reflect this, I blieve it's inlcuded in mame .92. If anyone's curious about it look at the code at $95c3 where level($4e13)=134.

Code:
    					;draw slides and slows  from 24f9
    					;kill screen @134 reads data at fe78 & writes
    95c3  3a134e    ld      a,(#4e13)	; load level number
    95c6  fe03      cp      #03			;There are only tables for 3 levels after that there are no tunnel slow downs
    95c8  f23425    jp      p,#2534		;exit, end of this sub draws gate pink  ;jp nc,  d2
    95cb  21df95    ld      hl,#95df	;the list of tables of addresses
    95ce  cdbd94    call    #94bd		;level based lookup  input:hl=start of table, output:bc= pointer to data
    95d1  210044    ld      hl,#4400	;start of screen color
    95d4  0a        ld      a,(bc)		;list of screen addresses for each maze	
    95d5  03        inc     bc			;point to next address
    95d6  a7        and     a			;check for 0, 0 signals end of list
    95d7  ca3425    jp      z,#2534		;draws gate pink, finishes pac code
    95da  d7        rst     #10			;hl=hl+a
    95db  cbf6      set     6,(hl)		;the byte at the location has bit 6 set.  
    95dd  18f5      jr      #95d4    

table   | not table!	
    95df 8b3d 8e28  fe78  cc0a  ?????	;table pointers to where tables of where the tunnels are
    ; there's only 2 tables since it only matters on 0-3 level
    Note line $95da has the result of ORing almost any address with $40. If it hits the flip register you get upside down mazes. If it hits the number of lives, your lives could go from 1 to $41(65 decimal). If it hits your score then a 40, 4,000 or 400,000 point bonus may be possible. If it hits the number of players you've suddenly got a 2 player game going. If it hits the level number you've suddenly warped to level 198. It will keep writing addresses until it reads a 0. If it goes to long then the watchdog will reset the machine.

Virtually anything can happen. The limitation is it can't make a variable go down, it can only make it go up. This isn't random it's a result of what's in ram, so there's no reason it can't be forced to a certain extent.

PS, warping up levels won't help, every level after 141 crashes, and in the upper levels there's actually several different crashes so even if cosmic radiation flipped a bit in ram and you got past the first crash one of several other crashes would kill you.

PSS, it's very interesting someone would mention a 400,000 point bonus, I don't remember mentioning this code bug, although I may have, I've known about it for a long time.
  10. 02-24-2005, 04:47 AM
    dwidel:

Do you think it's possible to fix some of these codes in Donkey Kong and Jr. Kong so there will be no kill screen? :?
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us