Track N field?

1. 08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
    an electric toothbrush can press the button faster than a human obviously.

i think sometime i am going to play it on MAME, and see how well i will do.

can tommi press a button more than 13 times a second?
    I like to destroy games... especially the ones with Mario in them.
  2. yes he can

08-19-2005, 09:30 PM
    I did I rough estimate of my button pressing... and I'm getting about 20 button presses a second. I've seen Tommi play Track & Field, and his button pressing is nothing short of amzing... I'm sure he's getting MUCH more.

I've heard that the arcade machine cannot register more than 32 button presses a second.
  3. 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM
    I did some analysis of some of the MARP Track and Field scores a while ago, and Tommi's was by far the fastest (if you don't count the cheaters). According to my analysis, with one button he averaged 9.99 presses a second, and with the other 9.86. And that is with minimizing collisions (both buttons pressed at the same time). He had more collisions than most other players, but he also had a lot more button presses in a game then they did.

With MAME it is pretty easy to analyze the speed of a player.

-George
  4. Yeah this sure is a tough record

08-20-2005, 01:18 AM
    I used to play this games LOTS!! That's where I got my name. Yeah, it's been over 20 years now that I think about it. I played almost daily for about 5-6 years. People would watch and say \"that dude can Fly!\". So after hearing that a few times I started to go by the name Fly.

I'm glad to see that there still is an interest in this great classic. But beating that record is gonna be tough. I used to get between 93-95k everytime I played but you have to remember how much I played. My fingers were primed after all those years of playing. I used an 8 finger on 1 button technique. I tried the double finger tap on both buttons at first but I guess the hard part about getting that one down is avoiding what you called collisions. Each button would be pressed abour 8-10 times a second. That would be great without the collisions. So, the 8 finger worked best for me. I would roll or slide them across in order. Index-middle-ring-pinky and alternate hands. This makes a distinct loud clicking that used to get lots of attention. Perfect for making me want to show people what i was made of. I dont think I ever cracked 96k but I know I had about ten 95k+ scores. Lots of 95k scores doesnt mean its easy. This didnt come till after hundreds of hours of playing. Even with all that time played I dont think I can just come up and claim the record without some serious practice time.

Good Luck!!

Hector(Fly)Rodriguez
    Last edited by Fly; 10-14-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor. No Mames. No steering wheels.
  5. 08-20-2005, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrain
    I did some analysis of some of the MARP Track and Field scores a while ago, and Tommi's was by far the fastest (if you don't count the cheaters). According to my analysis, with one button he averaged 9.99 presses a second, and with the other 9.86. And that is with minimizing collisions (both buttons pressed at the same time). He had more collisions than most other players, but he also had a lot more button presses in a game then they did.

-George
    How did you count my pushes/second? -inpview?
    Notice that my pushes are 3*button1, 3*button3, 3*button1... etc
    Which inp? At some similar games I use sometimes joystick for running.

-----

I wonder where that 32times/second max presses comes from? Someone with autofire?
    I think we pushed much more times per second when playing highjump threesome.

Fastest speed should be in the end of 100m. Maybe even faster in the very end of longjump or javelin.

Fly, what were your records eventwise? I mean at 100m etc...
    Nice to hear about an 8 finger techniquean :)
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  6. 08-20-2005, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrain

-George
    How did you count my pushes/second? -inpview?
    Notice that my pushes are 3*button1, 3*button3, 3*button1... etc
    Which inp? At some similar games I use sometimes joystick for running.

I wonder where that 32times/second max presses comes from? Someone with autofire?
    I think we pushed much more times per second when playing highjump threesome.
    No not -inpview. I wrote a program to analyze inps. It looks at how many time each button is pressed and how long each button press (and no-press gap) is in # of frames. It throws out single isolated button presses where you aren't pressing fast. The rate only includes times when you are quickly pressing buttons, not "dead" time, and it is a rate across the whole .inp. That analysis was from your Track and Field inp at MARP. I can send you more details if you want.

In MAME you couldn't register even 32 presses/second on a single button. There are only 60 frames a second, so you could only have 30 presses/second (you have to have gaps between presses). Of course if you alternated buttons, this would give you 60 presses/second. I'd thought about creating an INP which had perfect alternating 30 presses/second to see how fast it ran, but never got around to it.
  7. 08-20-2005, 07:17 AM
    do you have to alternate pressing buttons on the arcade version?? i would be interested to know how fast people that are good at this game would get in the 100M dash for track & field 1 for the NES. i am not sure how fast i would be able to press two buttons, but i am used to one.
    I like to destroy games... especially the ones with Mario in them.
  8. Records

08-20-2005, 10:45 AM
    7.52 a full .10 faster than my next best-Speed-High 1300's or low 1400
    9.72 but I've seen 2 machines with 9.76!-Speed 1500+
    99.9? not counting the 107M for obvious reasons. Speed 1470+
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor. No Mames. No steering wheels.
  9. 08-20-2005, 11:24 AM
    Flop, my records are about same...just a notch faster at 100m and 110m :)
    7,47 (several times under 7,60, but not often anyway)
    110m I think my best is 9,70 strictly arcade style with buttons.
    I use 6 fingers.

Andrew, it does not matter if you use one or two buttons, only that you have more space for your hands and fingers with 2 buttons.

George, YES! I really would like to know more about that analyser thingy!
    Email me at my email to sci.fi with some details. I might have couple things to ask too :)

I'd have to say here though, that I believe I press a bit faster than 10+10 pushes per second, as you said you checked the whole inp...I don't allways run max speed at each and every event all the time, so 10 +10 is average, not max speed :)

Hey, Hendry is playing now, gotta go!
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  10. re...

08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
    Andrew,

Please excuse my sceptic nature, but it seems you have never played the game before and somehow expect to beat A) 98K, or, B) Tommi's MAME WR, or indeed, C) Kelly's arcade WR?

Dave has done the math. Yes, the WR is doable, but 98k is another thing.

Anyhow, please report your progress on this challenge!

Good luck! (You'll need it....! ) Who said that?!!!

AL
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Join us