INCREDIBLE New World Record in Decathlon Atari 2600!

1. INCREDIBLE New World Record in Decathlon Atari 2600!

01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
    Hello All

I am announcing my new incredible world record in Decathlon for Atari 2600.
    In the Pole Vault mode I beat Todd Rogers, Ron Corcoran and David Yancey 's world record of 5.60m, I made a new record of 5.80m. But the incredible was not this, but the points that I received, were 12.221 just in this game mode, Almost the world record of points in a just mode, I was just playing Pole Vault, if I was playing all game modes \"Decathlon Game\" I would make 23.000+ points and a new world record, haul of this record I equaled the record of Todd in Javelin and Discus, this is the list of my records:

Decathlon - Game 1B -------------------------12.491
    Decathlon - 100m Dash -----------------------9.20
    Decathlon - 110m Hurdles --------------------11.91
    Decathlon - 400m Race -----------------------39.6
    Decathlon - 1500m Race ----------------------3.36.4
    Decathlon - Discus -----------------------------72.84
    Decathlon - High Jump ------------------------2.40
    Decathlon - Javelin ----------------------------93.09
    Decathlon - Long Jump ------------------------11.57
    Decathlon - Pole Vault -------------------------5.80
    Decathlon - Shot Put---------------------------23.71

Thanks
  2. Decathlon

01-03-2006, 11:45 AM
    Rodrigo,

Congrats....keep pushing Atari 2600 scores to the outer limits.
    YOUR SOURCE FOR CLASSIC CONSOLE CONTENT!
  3. 01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
    The pole vault record is capped off at 5.6 by rule of TG. That score is exactly why.
  4. 01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dyancey
    The pole vault record is capped off at 5.6 by rule of TG. That score is exactly why.

Intriguing! I wonder if 6.0 is even possible! And if it just makes it, what happens then!?

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  5. 01-04-2006, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Kelly_R_Flewin
    Quote Originally Posted by dyancey

Intriguing! I wonder if 6.0 is even possible! And if it just makes it, what happens then!?

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
    Yes it is possible. I've vaulted so high that the player goes off the top of the screen. Eventually, if you continue vaulting long enough, the game will lock up and the runner will just float accross the center of the screen forever. I think this actually happens when the game tries to cycle the player back onto the bottom of the screen when you've gone too high. I made a video for Ron showing all the different scoring possibilities and errors at each height until the game locked up. The score also has a bug in it when you pass 5.6, so that's why Ron and Todd capped the height at 5.6.
  6. 01-04-2006, 05:41 AM
    The lockup doesn't happen at the exact same point in the game. There's a trick to extending your game beyond the point where it normally happens (between 11.4 and 14.6), but it will eventually happen anyway. The programmer's intended limit is 5.6 - anything beyond that is only possible by exploiting the glitch.

Apparently this glitch was fixed in a later re-released version (one with a b&w manual) but I haven't found a copy yet... anyone?
  7. 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
    Greetings All,

Yes Ron and I had discussed in some detail about the behavior habits of the Decathlon game some years ago. We decided to cap the Pole Vault event due to a bug in the program where you could in a sence keep going till the player appeared at the bottom of the screen reaching heights of 14.0+ or more.
    We felt to make it fair to all gamers that a reasonable cap would be suggestable so we came up with whats now the cap. I had reached greater heights with out using the bug technique and i also told Ron to reduce the amount to what it is now, reguardless of that i had attained more in height with out using the bug.
    I also had Ron reduce my end result of the total of all events from 20,000+ to the 12,000 due to the incorporation of the bug in the final score once i realized that the bugs padded score was added to all the events total scores we took it down. When you add up the total points that i have for all my records for each event with the cap included you get the 12,000+ for a final score total
    As for Rodrigo's Decathlon event scores I would love to see what he can do in person because as we all know i personally have never seen ANYONE get below a 10second 100meter dash other then myself in person using the original Atari joysticks.
    At the CGE2K1 I was offering $1000.00 to anyone that could get below 10seconds on the 100meter dash and the fastest that was performed at the event was 10.02.
    I hope this helps out some what to the CAP issue.

-Todd Mr Activision Rogers
  8. 01-05-2006, 06:57 AM
    I dont understand how low 9.xx scores can be done. I like to think that I'm pretty fast with the original Atari stick. I used to get 10.06 regularly but only beat it a few times out of hundreds of attempts. How the heck do you guys get the time sooo low?

One time a buddy of mine brought over a different joystick and we just used to slap it. If timed right it would wiggle/vibrate back and forth and get some insane speeds. We did get in the low 9's on the 100 but that was the only way.

BTW, I havent played the game since the year it came out, so maybe I'm faster now.
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor. No Mames. No steering wheels.
  9. 01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly
    I dont understand how low 9.xx scores can be done. I like to think that I'm pretty fast with the original Atari stick. I used to get 10.06 regularly but only beat it a few times out of hundreds of attempts. How the heck do you guys get the time sooo low?

One time a buddy of mine brought over a different joystick and we just used to slap it. If timed right it would wiggle/vibrate back and forth and get some insane speeds. We did get in the low 9's on the 100 but that was the only way.

BTW, I havent played the game since the year it came out, so maybe I'm faster now.
    Ahhh, the old "speed bag" strategy. Using the paddle buttons to run may help some players. Or a track and field controller. I've never gotten a score any better than with my Wico bat stick. But I've never scored lower than 10.01. :cry:
  10. Decathlon

01-05-2006, 12:30 PM
    Is this an Activision title? I have never played this one,
    but will purchase and try to obtain under 10.00.
    YOUR SOURCE FOR CLASSIC CONSOLE CONTENT!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us