Hydro Thunder

1. Hydro Thunder

02-10-2006, 06:42 AM
    This is the greatest arcade video game I have ever played. I love it.

I didn't see a thread about it, so I thought I would start one.
  2. tricks and stuff

02-10-2006, 08:55 AM
    Do you know all the tricks?

Boost start. Disable computer racers. Use hard level boats. Shortcuts.
  3. 02-10-2006, 10:13 AM
    yes. actually, I liked the game so much I bought one for my house. I was looking at the world record scores for this game and I think I can beat them or at least come close to them.

I am going to check the difficulty settings on my machine tonight and set them to the levels required to establish the records and see what i can do.

The one thing I would like to know about the record times is what boats were used to set them. Also, I would like to get other people's comments on the boats. For example, Razorback is designated as an \"ultra\" hard boat. It works pretty well on the more open tracks with fewer turns, but it isn't close to the quickest boat on any track as far as I have ever been able to determine.

The \"Tinytanic\" is basically slow as a pig. The Chumdinger is pretty much there only for comic relief as well as far as I can tell.

Rad Hazard is the quick boat for Lost Island. Blowfish is 2d quick at this track.

Banshee is the quick boat for Arctic Circle.

Tidal Blade is the quick boat for Lake Powell, NY Disaster, Ship Graveyard, Venice Canals and Nile Adventure.

Cut Throat is the quick one on Greek Isles and the Far East.

Armed response seems to be the quickest boat on the \"circuit\" tracks (Hydro Speedway and Thunder Park).
  4. 02-10-2006, 10:53 AM
    Also, there have to be more \"tricks\" and/or short-cuts than are generally known to set some of the world record times. Either that or I am using the wrong boats at some tracks or the difficulty setting on my machine is way beyond the standard for record attempts (I'll check that tonight and report back).

For example, 1:25.18 for the Far East? That is an unbelievable time.
  5. hovercraft

02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
    Most expert players use the Hovercraft. It's pretty difficult to control, but if you can master handling the craft, it's the fastest.

My favorite is always Cut Throat. It's FAST, very manuverable, has quick INVINCIBLE enable, and it's THE FASTEST boosting in the air.

One of my favorite courses is Greek Isles, because you can go through that track almost entirely without letting go of the BOOST button.

A good time was had by all at a National Finals Hydro Thunder tournament held 5-6 years ago at Friar Tucks Arcade. Which, if I heard correctly, is closing it's doors. Sorry to hear that. Another arcade bites the dust. :(

Congratulations on picking one up. Now that I think about it, that's a really good game to have... it will certainly go down in history as one of THE BEST racing games.

Be glad to help you with any other questions you might have about this game.
  6. Re: tricks and stuff

02-10-2006, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard
    Do you know all the tricks?

Boost start. Disable computer racers. Use hard level boats. Shortcuts.

o.o?!? Care to enlighten us n00bs upon these delightful gems?

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  7. 02-11-2006, 12:23 AM
    I admit to loving this game also... :) So much so, I've written down (almost) everything I know: https://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5879

Alas, I've never seen an arcade version of Hydro Thunder beyond a picture, so my experiences are only based on the home versions.

You certainly have my envy with the arcade version at home! :)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  8. 02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
    I was wrong about having a chance to set any world record (WR) times, at least not without some help. Here are the WR times and my best times:

Lost Island -- WR 1:32.63 -- my best 1:34.59 with Rad Hazard

Arctic Circle --WR 1:34.93 -- my best 1:40.16 with Banshee

Hydro Speedway -- WR 1:38.06 -- my best 144.93 with Armed Response

Lake Powell -- WR 1:35.86 -- my best 1:46.18 with Tidal Blade

Greek Isles -- WR 1:30.86 -- my best 1:37.23 with Cut Throat

Far East -- WR 1:25.18 -- my best 1:38.59 with Cut Throat

NY Disaster -- WR 1:35.96 -- my best 1:46.53 with Tidal Blade

Ship Graveyard -- WR 1:31.99 -- my best 1:42.18 with Tidal Blade

Thunder Park -- WR 1:31.49 -- my best 1:43.13 with Armed Response

Venice Canals -- WR 1:18.96 -- my best 1:27.49 wih Tidal Blade

Nile Adventure -- WR 2:43.87 -- my best 3:04.37 with Tidal Blade

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am pretty sure I have all of the short cuts so I guess it comes down to boat selection and smaller driving details. I really feel that most of my times are respectable. They would be top times on almost every one of these machines in any arcade.

I am closest on Lost Island, so I am thinking I will concentrate on that one. I realy felt that my time got everything that could be gotten out of that track. I don't see how I am going to shave another 2 seconds off. Any suggestions? Blow Fish (hovercraft) is not faster than Rad Hazard on this track. I have tried them both many many times.
  9. hydro thunder stuff

02-11-2006, 05:11 PM
    There used to be a GREAT website (hosted by the Hydro Tunder people) that listed stats about all the boats. Each one has very unique characteristics and can be compared to one another on many different criteria that might seem insignificant, but makes a big difference, especially depending on the way you pilot your craft.

Stats like:
    Speed (of course) The fastest boat for just speed in the water without boost is Tidal Blade.
    Boost Speed (your speed while you're boosting)
    Boost Deploy Speed (how fast your boost engines are enabled, like if you have NO boost, and pick one up, how fast do the boost engines take to deploy so you can USE the boost) which is rule #1, NEVER run out of boost, always keep just a tiny bit, never use it ALL; because your boost engines will retract if you run out of boost, and if you're out of boost and you pick up some boost, it takes time for the boost engines to re-deploy.
    Air Boost (how fast does your boat go through the air while boosting)
    Invincibility Speed (this is when you use the boost and HOLD the boost button ON, shortly your boat will FLASH blinking... when this happens you are invincible and cannot be \"taken-out\" by other boats, and you can run into other boats while you're flashing and KNOCK them around. This stat is pretty important, if your invincibility is pretty fast you stay relatively safe from other boats, but a boat that takes a long time to get FLASHING not only risks being knocked around by the other boats, but uses MORE boost to get to invincible mode. You really want to be able to enable invincibility QUICK, with just a short press of the boost (a big reason why I like Cut Throat so much).

There's lots of other things of course, stability, turning, weight of the boat (lighter boats get thrown around a lot).

This is a fun discussion, I forgot how cool this game was.

I doubt that website is still up, but I'll look for the info.
  10. 02-11-2006, 06:35 PM
    Cut Throat is definitely the quickest on several tracks, but I am going to concentrate on Lost Island. I have driven this track with all of the boats many many times. Rad Hazzard seems to be the quickest. The top ten quick times on my machine are all between 34.59 and 35.00 with Rad Hazzard.

There must be a little thing or two that I am missing. The first sector is critical. If you hit the ramp just right you cut the corner around that first rock and pick up at least a second off of an otherwise good run. When you exit the upper area, if you go to the far right of the 9 second boost at the end of the upper level, you can get both the 9 second boost and the 4 second boost on the track below.

At this point, my guess is that the 2 seconds I need to shave off has to come from the left turn by the allegators and through the second (upper) tunnel complex. Everywhere else is pretty much a straight run.

I really wish I could confirm what boat was used to set the record and what the sector times were so I could pinpoint where I can pick up the 2 seconds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us