New WR - Fastest Perfect Pitfall - Atari 2600 (LOCKED)

1. 05-27-2006, 11:34 PM
    Hey Rodrigo,

Congrats! That is one heck of a run! 8)

I understand the grumbling about your games being played on an emulator, there are many gamers out there that are purists when it comes to the Atari.

I am also one of the aforementioned, but I have the luxury of owning a pretty large Atari collection, so I don't have to resort to emulation. It's a nostalgia thing :wink:

Either way, to get a time of 1:06 takes remarkable skill, no matter what it is played on, and deserves recognition. Kudos.
  2. 05-28-2006, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo_Lopes(Metroid)
    Stonic,

All my records is in NTSC....if you or anyone can my roms, I send for you by email! No problem.

All your records can't be in NTSC because some of them are for games that were only released in PAL format:

Acid Drop
    Asterix (the NTSC version was only released in Canada and is VERY rare, and to my knowledge the rom isn't publicly available)
    Astro Attack
    Base Attack
    Lilly Adventure

With the exception of possibly Asterix, the only way you can be playing the NTSC version of these games is if it's a modified PAL version that was done by someone, like these: http://www.atariage.com/software_conversions.html

AFAIK any hacks or modified versions of games are not allowed. Or is this another ref-by-ref case?
  3. 05-28-2006, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CapaJC
    I'd think much of that is questionable. I mean, they don't track which version of the Atari 2600 is used, do they?
    There are some compatibility issues between some of the different models, but it's usually a case of whether or not the game will even work. There's no advantage of playing one model or revision over another, unless you're using a non-NTSC system. If there is, I'd like to know about it. All the dedicated 2600 NTSC systems use the same chipsets and timing crystal. The different revision changes were mostly done to order to more cheaply manufacture the system (removing parts that were redundant on not required). This is also why one model might have a better picture than another.

There may be some differences with all the various system clones that were made as far as the chipsets and timing crystal, so I can't rule those out (with the exception of the Coleco Gemini).

Here are a few known examples of compatibility problems between the various models:

PAL 2600JR (white models) http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26system.htm
    Centipede http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26centipede.htm
    Ms. Pac-Man http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26mspacman.htm
    Pesco http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26pesco.htm
    Decathlon, Kool-Aid Man, Robot Tank, Space Shuttle, Time Pilot, and the Supercharger all have problems with one or more of the 5 different 7800 model revisions (only the original version of the 7800 will run everything).

I don't think anyone here has said they believe the differences between console and emulator to be non-existent (I could be wrong, I don't feel like reading all that again)...some have merely said that the differences aren't significant enough to be tracked differently. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue, but I definitely believe emulator differences can certainly be smaller than differences between two different 2600 consoles
    As I said, the differences between the NTSC models doesn't affect games as far as how fast they run. Emulators do, b/c they are only imitating the chipset and timing crystal. Emulators are a completely different animal :) As David and Todd have shown, that can make all the difference in the world. And as I've shown, the same is true with PAL versions.
  4. 05-28-2006, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo_Lopes(Metroid)
    Hello David

If you want my all my Atari 2600 roms I send for you, No problem, only say to me your e-mail!

I would like to solve all this problem with you, us are players that love Atari and the only thing that we want is to show our potential in this console, I don't play the emulator because I want, it is easier for me because I am don't have any game and mainly it is cheaper for me to send the records to the United States because it is very expensive the postage.

I hope that you and all understand!

Thanks
    Thank you Rodrigo. It's not necessary for you to send me your roms. No one is doubting you or your ability. Originally, in this thread, I just wanted to know which rom version was used and what hardware it was played on. No one who knew would actually say until much time had passed. This lapse in time tends to make everyone a little suspicious. Not suspicious of you or your ability; but suspicious of how differnt hardware or different roms or different controllers could make a difference in the outcome.

It is unfortunate that this debate had to re-surface over one of your scores. But your's is one of the most prestigeous world records for the 2600. It has made everyone stand up and pay attention.

Those of us that may seem to be against you are actually not. I think we all admire your gaming abilities. I just would like to see Twin Galixies' policies on these issues become more consistent for all consoles and all refs and all players.

If they decide that they must allow emulators, and they decide not to track them as another category, they should at least make a notes section that displays more information than just "video" or "DVD". Have it say PCAE 2.6 AVI.

Still, if TG continues to accept emulator scores, all refs that accept them need to be consistent in every way. They must agree on what is and is not acceptable. This will be difficult to do. I've read here on TG, for some emulators, that you must record from the very beginning of the emulator process; showing all settings and such. And also that the frames per second must be displayed on screen through out the recording. And like Stonic said earlier, you can only record the game action (not the important stuff before the game actually starts) with PCAE 2.6. I don't know what frame rate you used either. No one wants to come out and say that. No one wants to say if it was displayed during your recording. Is 60FPS the official rate to be used while playing on PCAE and is that what you used? Did you use pauses at any time during the game? Many questions are not yet answered.

No one is saying you cheated and please don't feel like that. There are a lot of people out there that would cheat. And if TG doesn't get this problem "locked-down" quickly then all of our records will be far less credible. Looking ahead to future possible emulator submissions by other gamers worries me greatly. Most of my questions are looking ahead to try and warn the refs about possible problems that could (and probably will) occur if they continue to accept emulator scores. I am very concerned about this issue accross the whole TG scoreboard. I am not out to get you. :)
  5. 05-28-2006, 07:57 AM
    If they decide that they must allow emulators, and they decide not to track them as another category, they should at least make a notes section that displays more information than just \"video\" or \"DVD\". Have it say PCAE 2.6 AVI.

Still, if TG continues to accept emulator scores, all refs that accept them need to be consistent in every way. They must agree on what is and is not acceptable. This will be difficult to do. I've read here on TG, for some emulators, that you must record from the very beginning of the emulator process; showing all settings and such. And also that the frames per second must be displayed on screen through out the recording. And like Stonic said earlier, you can only record the game action (not the important stuff before the game actually starts) with PCAE 2.6. I don't know what frame rate you used either. No one wants to come out and say that. No one wants to say if it was displayed during your recording. Is 60FPS the official rate to be used while playing on PCAE and is that what you used? Did you use pauses at any time during the game? Many questions are not yet answered.
    Someone said earlier it was recorded on VHS so that may solve the boot up and menu issues you have. Wouldn't that also take care of frame rate and pauses?
  6. 05-28-2006, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QBert
    If they decide that they must allow emulators, and they decide not to track them as another category, they should at least make a notes section that displays more information than just "video" or "DVD". Have it say PCAE 2.6 AVI.

Someone said earlier it was recorded on VHS so that may solve the boot up and menu issues you have. Wouldn't that also take care of frame rate and pauses?
    I must have missed the part about it being recorded on VHS. Maybe that could solve any issues with this record. However, the real issue I'm getting at is total consistancy or dis-allowment of emulators in general. Again, I'm not making an issue of Rodrigo's score. I know it can be easily beaten anyway. :wink:
  7. 05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dyancey
    I know it can be easily beaten anyway. :wink:
    Easily beaten? You're joking right? :lol:
  8. 05-28-2006, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the 5th ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by dyancey
    I know it can be easily beaten anyway. :wink:
    Easily beaten? You're joking right? :lol:
    Sir, I never jest. :twisted:
  9. 05-28-2006, 06:37 PM
    Then go play and prove it! :arrow: