UNDISPUTED Champions?

1. 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnival_Fred
    Robert/TG,

You have my permission to make public any and all of my submissions to TG.....

Carnival Fred
    Does that include the video tape of you "Depth Charge" preformance at Funspot last year? :lol:
    Gregory S. Erway

#1 Tapper TGTS 3,162,125 05Jun05 (Guiness 2007 score)
    #1 Rootbeer Tapper TGMS 1,959,200 28Jul86
    #1 Wild Western 826,900 07Jun04
    #1 Pepper II 917,540 11Mar07 (over 1mil now...on tape)
    D2K progress: 199,700 L5 100m (board 36)
  2. 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by permafrostrick
    well, if you want to go into likely unbeatable records, there are many more...but not what I would term undisputed champions.

for example...

Tim McVeigh's 1 billion Nibbler.

Many including myself have mastered this game...but would any of us play it for 45-50 hours?!?!?

very unlikely anyone would do that on this title. I have played it for 10-12 hour runs and stopped...and the next day could barely move my fingers...but that was playing in mame on my keyboard using same hand the entire time.

same for many other marathons...none of these are undisputed champions though IMHO....just not many who have an interest in playing one game for 50+ hours. :P

it's a separate category

How about Jason Cram for Congo Bongo....1.5 million points?

did he reach a kill screen here or actually end the game or lose his men?

that is amazing to play that far into the game with only 4 men.

It would be nice if the TG scoreboard had some platform general text display of the top or top 3 scores for each track that a gamer could generate and save to a file.

We then could easily look this over for topics like this to see what clear records are out there.

It also makes for easier lookup if you wanted to check scores for many games. It's tedious only able to view 1 track at a time.
    My last name is spelled McVey...

If you can't play for an extended period, then you haven't mastered the game. That would be like a sprinter that runs a 100 yard dash stating they were a threat at the mile mark, just because of their 100 yard time being better than a milers pace etc...

Apples and Oranges...
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

3. 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by PERodgers2003

well, if you want to go into likely unbeatable records, there are many more...but not what I would term undisputed champions.
    Maybe Robert Griffin can help to clarify fruther his definition of 'undisputed champion.' In reading throug his posts, and to Paul's point, I think what he was most after was supreme accomplishments that:

a) require great skill to beat (not just time and endurance)

b) to date, no one has been identified that can beat or come close to the accomplishment. Better yet, there have been some real contenders and the accomplishment has been contested, but there is still a significant gap. That is, there is at least a perception today that the accomplishment would be very difficult to beat.

c) there is sufficient interest amongst the classic gaming community in the game and accomplishment
    Perry, that is precicely what I was aiming at! (by the way, when are you going to get your Mario jumping rear over to my place for a night of gaming? I just got a new 21" monitor that is just dying for some extra action! :wink: )

Anyway, Perry summed up my exact basis for thread in all 3 of his notations. Yes, I would like to shy away from the marathon settings arena, unless that is the specific nature of the game. There is a big difference between endurance and skill, and I know that topic was covered in another thread. Greg Erway's Tapper score is a perfect example. I would be interested to see what the individual who attained the marathon record could accomplish at TG settings. I really don't know the guy so I can't honestly comment on his skills, but I do know that Greg's TGTS Tapper game is pretty astounding.

I also wouldn't call Tim McVeigh's 1 billion Nibbler or David Palmer's TGTS Star Wars undisputed. They are both phenomenal accomplishments, no question about that, but Dwayne Richard can certainly challenge the Nibbler score. Brandon Ericson has proven that the Star Wars record is not out of reach, and I still believe Robert Mruczek could give that record a run for the money if he had the opportunity to sharpen his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    Very few records would be in category unbeatable/never to be beaten. IMO nearly all/all records can be beaten, if you have some talent and plenty o' time, most importantly dedication.
    I agree. But there is also a mindset to the games I am talking about.

There are some WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Geez, that's a fantastic score. Great job, So-&-So!"
    There are other WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Are you freakin' kidding me? How is that possible?"
    It's those records/individuals I am looking for.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to nominate:
    Martin Bedard - Timber
    Hmmm my record was set in 1984, and as such would certainly have to be one of, if not THE longest standing record on the books. I mean even Donkey Kong and Pacman have fallen in the past few years...

Not sure who Dwayne Richard is, sorry no offense... but I see this was posted in 2006, and my record is still standing now in 2008, 24 years and counting...

4. Re: Head On, COngo Bongo and More

04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    Hello everyone:

I do believe that Fred ("Carnival") Pastore can give Chris' record a run should he ever be presented with a chance at the arcade classic. He hit 300K+ on "Crash" on MAME, after all, and they are virtually identical.

And don't forget...Fred's "Carnival" score is also in a class of it's own.

Jason's 1.5M on "Congo Bongo". I saw what he did, having verified the tape. His game did come to an end, but he point-pressed in ways that I I never thought were possible. That will be one tough score to take down.

George Strain's 800K on 2nd-life/intentional kill of game score on MAME "Jungle Hunt" is another tough one. No way to know for sure how high he could have taken that one. However, it's a Taito game and it might have stopped at 999,900 or so. The only active player with a shot at that one (arcade equivalent) is Shawn Cram.

Dwayne made a run at "Nibbler" awhile back within the past 18 months...he came close but his blisters caused an unexpected early conclusion. Dwayne has a shot at that one. So I'd suggest that the Tim McVeigh "Nibbler" score is within reach, it's just a matter of when.
    But Phil Britt's "Paperboy" grand slam score, of all the scores mentioned in this thread, I think this one's definitely going to stand the test of time.

Robert
    Took me around 7 tries over about 6 months... A year and a half later, the milestone stills stands...

5. 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
    Hmmm,

After reading this post the thought occured to me that it would be interesting to see a overall classic arcade champion. Then the thoughts on now to track it :shock:

I suppose that a classic game list of 100 to 200 could be picked (by vote most likley) at which point each classic gamer would have to go about getting ranked on each machine (which would be up to the gamers of course). At this point a \"rank average\" could be determined across the board.

If a gamer decides to only play 5 titles, his rank average would be very low across the entire list of games, even if he had 3 or 4 WR's of the 5. :twisted:

With seperate listing on \"the top classic gamer\" you might see more compitition (fun) with more folks making a yearly trip to funspot (or a location where a ref was present) to make multiple score entries, even if they are 10-20 spots off the WR on the titles.

Well, I just thought I would chime in with my crazy thoughts :)
  6. 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
    There were several contests like this bitd. I think a few at Twin Galaxies... Just shortly before I started playing anything seriously. I got in closer to the end of the golden era than I would of liked... BMX had me tied up from 79 to 83...

7. 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
    We don't want to mix up Mr. McVey (noted Nibbler WR holder) with Mr. McVeigh (noted Oklahoma City bomber)... HUGE DIFFERENCE IN REFERENCE HERE!

Anyways to get back on topic... The only person I would add to the undisputed champion would be Mr. Michael Damiani on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) as it's extremely improbable for anybody to break his time of 5 hours & 40 seconds.

While there are some microscopic flaws in the run, anybody who goes after this will have to be perfectly flawless (no mistakes in shots, not getting hit, ect.) to break it.

The closest I've seen by competitors are still an hour or more off pace... which gives me a high confidence in declaring it undisputed.
  8. 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM
    Bumping this 8-year-old thread because it's fun to review old predictions and see just how far off most of them were (and a couple that were dead on).

I want more info on Phil Britt's "Grand Slam" Paperboy score. I'm having trouble believing a combined score of 1 million is possible on this title without using leeching tricks. Will any Paperboy experts out there care to enlighten us?
  9. 12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
    Back while I was still with TG, Walter and I happened to get Phil Britt on the phone and we discussed among other things his "Paperboy" grand slam record.

Even Phil could not remember after so many years the precise breakdown of his game by difficulty/course. I posted years back what I recollected Phil telling us, and even I cannot remember the specifics.

The "easy" course was well over the 100K mark, while "medium" was over 300K and "hard" was around the 600K mark. Beyond that...a more precise breakdown per stage, strategy and tactics, etc...we never pressed Phil for more info.
  10. 12-04-2014, 03:50 AM
    Great read. Very interesting to see which ones have fallen and which are still standing.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Join us