UNDISPUTED Champions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. UNDISPUTED Champions?

08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
    A line in recent post the other day kind of got me wondering.

(I?m primarily thinking of the classic arcade games, since I?m not overly familiar with many of the other newer formats). I was curious who people think are the undisputed champions or masters of certain games. Titles where when you see them, you can?t imagine anyone beating the WR holder, regardless of who came before them.

Let?s take one of the world?s best all-around classic arcade gamers, Donald Hayes. I?ll take two of his world record games as examples:

Donald has the WR on Joust on both the Arcade & MAME formats?but I wouldn?t say he is the undisputed master (bear with me Donald, you know I wouldn?t diss you :wink: ). Although he has clearly proven himself to be the worlds best on Joust, on any given day, someone like Steve Sanders, a phenomenal player, could possibly usurp the title (but knowing Donald, he would have it back within the next 24-48 hours :lol: ).

However, when it comes to Super Zaxxon, Donald is in a class by himself. No one is taking that title from him anytime soon?or ever. End of story.

Usually, when people have the name of the game associated with them, it?s a good bet that they have made that game their game as well. Fred ?Carnival? Pastore is a perfect example.

I?ll give you my first 2 entries. Interestingly, they are both by one individual:
    They are Robotron & Jr. Pac-Man. Both are dominated by Abdner Ashman. I cannot ever see anyone beating Abdner at either game. Ever.

So here?s what I have so far:
    Abdner Ashman ? Robotron
    Abdner Ashman ? Jr. Pac-Man
    Donald Hayes ? Super Zaxxon
    Fred Pastore ? Carnival

I know there?s more out there, but these were the first that came to my mind.

What does everyone else say?
    Likes JASON STANLEY, noyasystem, mcmike953 liked this post
  2. 12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
    Back while I was still with TG, Walter and I happened to get Phil Britt on the phone and we discussed among other things his "Paperboy" grand slam record.

Even Phil could not remember after so many years the precise breakdown of his game by difficulty/course. I posted years back what I recollected Phil telling us, and even I cannot remember the specifics.

The "easy" course was well over the 100K mark, while "medium" was over 300K and "hard" was around the 600K mark. Beyond that...a more precise breakdown per stage, strategy and tactics, etc...we never pressed Phil for more info.
  3. 12-04-2014, 03:50 AM
    Great read. Very interesting to see which ones have fallen and which are still standing.
  4. 12-04-2014, 08:46 AM
    saw this quote above so figured I'd take the time to respond:
    " Interestingly, they are both by one individual:
    They are Robotron & Jr. Pac-Man. Both are dominated by Abdner Ashman. I cannot ever see anyone beating Abdner at either game. Ever."

I try to call Abdner on his cell phone once or twice a year, he is such a gentleman and cool. We have never met but I give him invites and include him on any robo stuff going on.
    He says he hasn't played a game of Robotron in several years now and he is impressed about some of the skill level achieved by the current players.

True sign of a champion. It has ZERO to do with being at the top of an arbitrary score list...he is a class act, makes him "unbeatable" on a humanity level even after getting topped on a score list. :)
  5. 12-04-2014, 05:11 PM
    I did a check on all of the games mentioned in this thread thus far and also added "Mappy" (Greg Bond).

Quite a few have been beaten since the original "nomination".

Original Nominations - 28
    Additional Nominations - 1
    Since Beaten (that I am sure of) - 6
    Possibly Beaten (that I am aware of) - 1
    Still Unbeaten (of 29) - 22 or 23
    Of these, how many have very serious contenders - 6
    Thus leaving - 16 or 17 that are still undisputed IF the definition includes no other contender in striking distance

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 227
Size:  272.5 KB
  6. 12-04-2014, 05:21 PM
    Head On - Fred Pastore can take this one down
    Jungle Hunt - Steve Wagner has a very good shot at beating this
    Missile Command - Jeff Blair is a great player at the "other settings"
    Satan's Hollow - I am not 100% sure if this one has unofficially been beaten
    Star Wars - Brandon Erickson, if given the time, can beat David's TGTS score
    Tron - Don Hayes can definitely pull this off
    Tutankham - Greg Bond is definitely capable of beating this one

Now for some little known legend lore...

Some might argue the choice for "Galaga" citing a recent TGTS performance by another player. But be advised that Steve once lasted 4.5 million on his 1st ship !!

Also, on "Tapper", while Greg Erway's marathon score was beaten, his TGTS performance includes 1.9 million on his 1st life !!

On "Timber", Martin Bedard cranked out a 2.5M score years back for the Advanced MAME Deca which was at 5 man settings...and I am not sure if he did this using just 1, 2 or 3 lives.

On "Food Fight", Jon Dworkin's 1.2M at 5-man settings is unbeaten since 2002 or 2001 at ACAM. Jon never tried playing marathon seriously beyond a few million years back but has the skills to pull off 100M easily. And as a second FYI about Jon, his 5M "Pandora" score was achieved after he intentionally killed off around 65 extra lives in storage. I ought to know as I verified that one as well :)
  7. 12-05-2014, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Some might argue the choice for "Galaga" citing a recent TGTS performance by another player. But be advised that Steve once lasted 4.5 million on his 1st ship !!
    Surprised this score lasted this long to be honest.
    It won't last another 10 years, thats for sure. There are a few players around now who could take it down if they really wanted to.
    Likes xelnia liked this post
  8. 12-08-2014, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Jungle Hunt - Steve Wagner has a very good shot at beating this
    I did beat the arcade TGTS score on my first life and killed off the rest of the game at 750k, much like George did with his MAME score and 800k. Out of respect for George who helped me with understanding the game mechanics, I quit prior to reaching his MAME score.
    Likes Fly, timhett liked this post
  9. 12-05-2014, 02:05 AM
    Even though a lot of these scores look impossible to get, I still say they can mostly all be beaten IF enough people get interested in that certain game. DK is a prime example of how so many people have now passed Steve and Billy's scores on the game. It just takes people to have a interest to make it happen.
  10. 12-05-2014, 03:00 AM
    When I think of who is the best at Joust I don't think of marathon settings. Much like Robotron. Tournament settings is what I think.

I'm pretty sure Lonnie has topped 2 mil on TGTS.

Hector
    Likes Barra, MOS liked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us