Thread

720 Gamers in the House?

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. 720

09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
    i didn't say tg recorded scores this way but that we all played that way. It was one of hundreds of games and most serious players played 720 that way in the arcades because it was an option. I also never submitted a score on 720 either. i was not at the guiness in 86 -7 so, but i have seen players from ca that were amazing. There was no mass communication so guinness settings were what standardized things. Ron's score is legitimate. Contests scores were the benchmark in those days. That provided close to level playing field.

As far a scoring on 720 if you don't bail in the park and get lots of pop up points you can do very well between medal area. that is what impressed me the most when i seen some kids play at the ca extreme in 99.
  2. 720

09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
    Does anyone have the rule book for this guiness contest? I think there should be a reexamination of the rules on this title to make the score acheived as the benchmark and the rules to challenge the score fair.

I don't know who made the rules up on this one but it seems to be out of step with how it was actually played. This was after walter's time and i don't think anyone would know the concensus made by the players about how to track the score.

At the time i first played 720 at the conventions. once people could finish the game and the continue option was seen as a way to increase the total score. You would waste the skater in the street to continue to score a credit worth of extra points before going into the last medal event. this was decided because it did have an end and encouraged extreme point pressing to get the higher score.

Most stuff never gets written down and is forgotten. This is one case that needs to be looked at because there needs to be clarification. The score should not be changed because of controversy the rules should be changed to make it possible to be challenged. If there is no copy of the rules the math doesn't lie in the realm of possiblities so the rules could be determined in reverse of how the score would be possible to be achieved.

There is no way walter would have known anything about this it would have been steve harris's decision when he took over the scoreboard and recording guinness scores.

Again I consider this the legitimate score i think the problem is in whoever made the rules they did not know how it was acheived if the rule book is not accessible.
  3. Re: 720

09-16-2006, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne
    Does anyone have the rule book for this guiness contest? I think there should be a reexamination of the rules on this title to make the score acheived as the benchmark and the rules to challenge the score fair.

I don't know who made the rules up on this one but it seems to be out of step with how it was actually played. This was after walter's time and i don't think anyone would know the concensus made by the players about how to track the score.

At the time i first played 720 at the conventions. once people could finish the game and the continue option was seen as a way to increase the total score. You would waste the skater in the street to continue to score a credit worth of extra points before going into the last medal event. this was decided because it did have an end and encouraged extreme point pressing to get the higher score.

Most stuff never gets written down and is forgotten. This is one case that needs to be looked at because there needs to be clarification. The score should not be changed because of controversy the rules should be changed to make it possible to be challenged. If there is no copy of the rules the math doesn't lie in the realm of possiblities so the rules could be determined in reverse of how the score would be possible to be achieved.

There is no way walter would have known anything about this it would have been steve harris's decision when he took over the scoreboard and recording guinness scores.

Again I consider this the legitimate score i think the problem is in whoever made the rules they did not know how it was acheived if the rule book is not accessible.
    Thanks Dwayne, many good points. It seems like this game (Arcade at least) may need to be tracked as 0 continues and 2 continues. I'm no authority though, I can barely remember seeing the arcade controls.

I do belive it is a legitimate score. @ anyone familiar with the arcade version, what is a typical score beating the game with no continues? With the two continues allowed? An inquirey has been launched to find out about this score, but noone has had any answers yet.

My guess would be that continues were allowed at the event that Ron participated in but the rules were ambiguous at the time. Just a guess though.

Time to check out http://www.klov.com to see how prevelant this game is today. [edit:not the most popular game ever, but it is still a nice little game with some players still] It seems there is some interest at least in the competition for the worlds best score.

I hope you all don't mind my two cents. Even though I'm the ref for a modern handheld these discussions are the reason I became interested in TG in the first place. [All right, back to Pac'n'Roll]
  4. 09-17-2006, 01:37 PM
    A bit of information has been brought forth that may give explanation to things. I will explain in a day or so as I don't want to jump the gun. I am optimistic this may resolve this issue/concern.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  5. 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
    So what is the news Kelly?
  6. 09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zlk
    So what is the news Kelly?
    ACK! Thank you! I've been getting more and more scatterbrained as of late. Essentially I've found out the problem here and it is INDEED the settings! I found an ancient manual and after consulting it, 2 Continues are actually the DEFAULT!

And on top of this, I've had a few other gamers from back in those days confirm that this was indeed how the games were set. Soooo! We now have the definitive answer to this burning debate.

I'll be fixing the settings in a moment.

[Edit: They're now changed to reflect the manual. Special thanks also to Dwayne Richard who was so quick in replying back to me as well]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  7. 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM
    2 Continues are actually the DEFAULT!
    I had assumed this as about every 720? machine I have played was set on two continues. Also, it seems the best as two continues are about perfect for fun factor and make beating the game more realistic for even most proficient 720? players. Given that most 720? enthusiasts would be able to beat the game, it should make for some fun high score competition. I believe Medal Score should be a competetive category as well as Regular High Score.

2 Continues are actually the DEFAULT!
    To make this clear...Does this mean that the TG record rules allow the two continues for high score submissions as of now, in the future, or ever for that matter?
  8. 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Kelly_R_Flewin

Soooo! We now have the definitive answer to this burning debate.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
    Do we? No one in my area ever used continues to play. We just finished the game on one credit and scored as much as possible. We still do not know for sure if Ron used one or three credits. Has anyone from TG tried to contact the guy? There are many instances where one player knows more about the game and thus scores way higher than everyone else. I would hate for this record to be voided just because no one on these forums can figure out how to score more than 400k.
  9. 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
    To make this clear...Does this mean that the TG record rules allow the two continues for high score submissions as of now, in the future, or ever for that matter?
    It's apparently been since then, but due to lack of paperwork, it's been a grey area. It's all good for now and the future. No worries.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  10. 09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Kelly_R_Flewin
    It's apparently been since then, but due to lack of paperwork, it's been a grey area. It's all good for now and the future. No worries.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
    Would this also apply to Midway Arcade Classics versions as well? They also have a 2 continue default. If you give me the go-ahead I can fix those.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Join us