FINAL Results (9/08/06)

1. FINAL Results (9/08/06)

09-08-2006, 11:48 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

I am considering as final the last posted results from September 8th. One (1) possibility exists for another gamer to qualify, and I will restate the cumulative rankings should that status be confirmed. However, I do not believe it will impact the outcome of the top five finishers, therefore for prize consideration I am at this time announcing the results as tentatively final.

So it's now official. It's a two-peat (hah...you can't sue me, Pat Riley). The winner of the year 2006 Twin Galaxies MAME Decathlon is...Martin Bedard, who hails from Canada, with a final cumulative score of 891.25% out of a maximum of 1000.00%. This is the highest qualifying TG MAME Decathlon total ever, with Martin's 875.23% from Deca 2005 being the second highest in the MAME Deca series going back to 1999. Way to go, Martin !!

In the process of setting this mark, Martin set several new MAME and world records, including 1M on \"Dig Dug 2\" and 2.088M on \"Speed Coin\". As for the competition rankings, his scores occupied 6 of the top 10 positions, and of the other four, no single score was less than 50% for the competition. That's quite an accomplishment.

Coming in a strong second with 680.58% was Matt Hall who hails from the USA. Matt's score of 1.067M on \"Indiana Jones\" was the highest of the competition, and happened to be the only title which Martin scored less than 70% on.

Third place goes to Valter Andre Treib (\"TRB\") who hails from Brazil and who is a founding member of the world famous \"Metroid Team\". His final score was 633.02%. And Valter's co-founder, Rodrigo Lopes who also hails from Brazil, comes in fourth with 469.66%.

Roudning out the top five is yet another fantastic player from South America. Fabiano Gomes de Souza battled with Xavier Ulmann from France for claim to fifth place, and edged out Xavier by a score of 384.40% to 379.25%.

The top five finishers will be awarded a Twin Galaxies certificate of completion signed by TG founder and CEO, Walter Day. Additionally, I will be sending out Deca 2006 prize money during the week of 9/11-9/16, a few days later than expected but it is going out.

Wow, this was some wild deca. A few of the toughest games that I've tried were in it, including \"Strider\" in which out of the 22 players who submitted scores for this title, 12 did not manage to pass 25K even though the top score was more than 350K !!

I just performed a mean-average calculation per title via EXCEL and came up with, assuming you wanted to qualify, a score of 316.45% based on all players' scores whether qualified or not. Martin's top-ranked score is more than 500% points ahead of that. Unbelievable.

Well, tomorrow is the day for finally posting the results to the TG scoreboard, and then I can put this puppy to rest. Next event will be the TG Advanced MAME Decathlon 2006 and voting will commence approx Nov01/06 with the contest starting Dec01/06 and ending Feb28/07.

Congratulations to all participants of this Deca event. I thank you personally as both TG referee and competition administrator. And I'd also like to thank my fine base of tournament referees who do deserve to be mentioned. They were...

Rick Carter - Cabal, Omega Race
    Kelly Flewin - Nightmare in the Dark
    Robert Macauley - Gyruss (TGTS)
    Andrew Peter Mee - Speed Coin
    Xavier Ulmann - Strider
    Kris Waterman - Alien vs Predator
    Adam Wood - Dig Dug II

Everyone did a fine job. I am looking forward to the ADeca event already, but for now I think we all need a bit of a rest.

Thanks !!

Robert
  2. 09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
    Thanks to Robert and all the refs for their work. Good selection of games this year, I thought the new voting process worked out well. Looking foward to the next Deca :) .
    Martin Bedard

Arcade Finder - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
  3. Future Deca Events

09-09-2006, 01:00 AM
    Hi Martin/everyone:

Thanks for the kind words. I was very pleased with the turnout as well.

I was thinking outside the box with respect to the upcoming Advanced Deca...I could host one of the following instead if any of these sounded better than an ADeca event

(A) All Monochrome Deca - comprised of solely monochrime titles (with monochrome being defined as black plus another single colour)

(B) Partitioned Events - divide the ten choices into smaller blocks, where some titles might be contested in terms of point-pressing (most points after 1-5 stages), 1st-life-score, overall score, handicapped performance, etc

(C) All Around - gamers vote on the top two (2) titles for each of the following five (5) controller types and/or skillsets...driving, gun/shooting, joystick, multi-button, spinner

I'll run a standard ADeca event with voting starting Nov01/06 unless one of these other options sounds more appealing.

Robert
  4. 09-09-2006, 01:07 AM
    yes, it was fun.

I know for the next regular deca I will try to play a lot more early and set scores first. I ended up playing 4 games and setting pretty much whatever I could score in 2-3 tries for each game in the last 2 days.

my first VG competition since hmmm....around 1982 I guess. :P
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
  5. Re: Future Deca Events

09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    (A) All Monochrome Deca - comprised of solely monochrime titles (with monochrome being defined as black plus another single colour)

Oh come now! We all know David Nelson would suddenly pop out of nowhere and completely destroy the competition here ;)

(B) Partitioned Events - divide the ten choices into smaller blocks, where some titles might be contested in terms of point-pressing (most points after 1-5 stages), 1st-life-score, overall score, handicapped performance, etc

An intriguing idea, to say the least.

(C) All Around - gamers vote on the top two (2) titles for each of the following five (5) controller types and/or skillsets...driving, gun/shooting, joystick, multi-button, spinner

A nice idea, but if someone had a controller for each set, then they'd have a severe advantage over everyone else. :( Granted, aside from that, I'd be in :)

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  6. Thanks

09-09-2006, 02:45 PM
    Hi Kelly:

I supposed as much, but wanted to get the ideas out for review.

A BW Deca seems possible one day, and it's not a given that one player will \"romp\"...after all, not ever player has played and achieved great scores on every title (except for Todd and Activision, that is)

Robert
  7. Deca Prize Payout Dates

09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

I expect to send out the Deca payments between 9/15-9/18, about a week later than expected, but they will go out as.

Monday 9/18 is when I expect all three Western Union payments to go out. I am awaiting confirmations from the three Brazil players prior to sending as to their precise locale info. I've wired at least one of the Metroid Team members before, I think it was Cristiano, and that went well, so I assume that these will be equally do-able.

Martin and Matt will go out via personal check on either Fri-Sat 9/15-16, and the other \"Bounty\" payments (Tom Votava, Cody Miller, Dwayne Richard) also will go out in the 9/15-18 range, all via personal check.

Getting there...a few days later this time, but trying to keep on track.

Certificates will go out within 1-2 weeks...that's a Walter project as he prints and signs them prior to mailing. I'll work with Walter on these this week.

That said, I am still awaiting one last loose end on a \"Strider\" score, but otherwise this Deca is as good as locked, and in about a week, that's all she wrote until this coming December when the next MAME-based deca-style event will begin. Until then !!

Robert
  8. 09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
    B&W Deca sounds like fun, might get some good scores in the Sky Raider, Rip Cord, Night Driver/Speed Freak/Datsun ZZap, etc files.
    Wouldnt mind having a reason to go half blind from Night Driver again.
    Technically Monochrome could be Virtual Boy games, but man that would give people so many headaches, still wouldnt mind picking up a VB though.

I like the idea of 'paritioned events', sounds like what i wanted to propose for the Wild Gunman Game A (one outlaw), as it's so mind numbingly boring, it would be cool to have a variation on highest points after say 15 rounds, so that people would be forced to play for faster and faster reaction times and the elusive 0.00 reaction time. I've had alot of fun trying for those.

or something like Snow Bros 1 or 2, with a cap on number of 'pushes' allowed per stand, i havent been playing much of the Snow Bros 2 lately, stupid marching band rabbit, i'll show him one day. But that sort of thing would give some pretty nice incentive.

From what i read of past Deca's, Advanced Decas in the old forums, they seem like something i would have enjoyed.
    Pity i didnt arrive here earlier. Good to be here now though, and i hope to participate in the future on any games that dont have Pac in the title, unless its Professor Pac-Man.
  9. 09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
    Just curious, as I haven't seen any post about this yet, but any word yet about the Strider scores? I'm still waiting on word for what's happened to Dennis Weaver's score, but that's not too big of an issue.
    - Jeffrey "J.D." Lowe
    Anything that I have written on or after 3/3/11 does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Twin Galaxies International.
    Collection Of Games
  10. Still Waiting as Well

09-15-2006, 12:00 AM
    Hi Jeff:

Nothing new to report, unfortunately....I'm waiting just as everyone else is.

Robert
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us