Phase One (G-2) - Paitreault, Jerome (5) - GAMER VERIFIED

1. Phase One (G-2) - Paitreault, Jerome (5) - GAMER VERIFIED

10-28-2006, 08:47 AM
    NOTE - these are the only original SECAM scores within the TG Atari 2600 database

Berzerk Game 9, Difficulty A Orig SECAM
    Carnival Game 1, Difficulty B Orig SECAM
    Pole Position Fuji Speedway Orig SECAM
    Radar Lock Game 1, Difficulty B Orig SECAM
    Sky Diver Game 1, Difficulty B Orig SECAM
  2. Hello robert !

01-20-2007, 12:29 AM
    I was out for some time and i just saw what you intended to do and began to do...
    Seems to be a huge job.
    I have a few question before going back on playing atari 2600 :

What is the EMU alowed by TG ?
    How can i compete against all of the NTCS players?
    I note i play in secam, but all my games are still registered in the NTCS list, is it normal?

Personal comment :
    I do agree for the split Original/Emu
    I am not sure of the interest of the split Secam/NTCS/PAL
  3. 01-20-2007, 07:16 AM
    Hi J?r?me,

There are a couple of hiccups with the score transfers. You should find all your SECAM scores have moved to the SECAM variations soon.

The reasons for the split have been documented on this forum. In order to achieve an NTSC score, you would need an NTSC machine and NTSC cartridge. For emulation scores, historically, PC Atari Emulator (PCAE) version 2.6 or version 2.7 should be used and the output should be recorded to suitable media as per a normal console submission. You will need to begin recording from before PCAE is loaded, load PCAE, then load the ROM & show all the game settings & game play as you would on a real console.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  4. PCAE

02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
    Hi andrew,

I tried PCAE 2.6 et 2.7 and i have a few questions :

If i want to record a score on PCAE, i can't use the avi recording of PCAE, put it on a DVD and send it to you, I must record on a suitable media (what is a suitable media ?) before the begining of PCAE ?

I tried some games on PCAE :\"decathlon\" is not working at all and \"carnival\" is working wrongly (no score on the screen). So is it possible to use STELLA where all games i tried are working perfectly ?

Where on the forum are the rules to use emulator for classic consoles ?
  5. Re: PCAE

02-07-2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfil
    Hi andrew,

I tried PCAE 2.6 et 2.7 and i have a few questions :

If i want to record a score on PCAE, i can't use the avi recording of PCAE, put it on a DVD and send it to you, I must record on a suitable media (what is a suitable media ?) before the begining of PCAE ?
    The AVI option was only ever accepted for a very short time and was then determined to be be unsuitable. "Suitable media" is a VHS or DVD recorder - just as you would use for a console submission. To do this, you will need to have a graphics card with TV Out capability - many modern graphic cards support S-Video but I don't know what connectors you use in France (?) so I am unsure if that is an option for you, sorry. :(

I tried some games on PCAE :"decathlon" is not working at all and "carnival" is working wrongly (no score on the screen). So is it possible to use STELLA where all games i tried are working perfectly ?
    Decathlon could be because a poor ROM. However, I can't get it working in PCAE either. :(

For Carnival, try setting the Video->Mode to be 320x305 and then stretch the window so you can see all of the "black screen" before starting the ROM. Once the ROM is running, try using the - and = buttons to move the "screen" up and down.

Historically, PCAE was accepted first by Ron Corcoran some years back. The decision has been kept. We are in the process of reviewing emulation submissions and the accepted emulators. Other emulators have been accepted in the past - but that doesn't mean they remain accepted. :(

Where on the forum are the rules to use emulator for classic consoles ?
    For some emulators, the announcements were made on these very forums, usually as a sticky post. The acceptance of PCAE pre-dates these forums and as such wasn't posted.

Hopefully, before long, we'll have exact guidelines for all accepted emulators. Alas, at this time, it's a case of finding a referee that knows, sorry. You should always check with the platform referee before making any attempts... for example, I accept Spectaculator submissions, but I've never announced it because I have a *big* set of guidelines for it's use! :D

A couple of examples I can easily find:

Atari 800: https://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4184
    Apple II (note the last two posts! :( ): https://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4198
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  6. Re: PCAE

02-07-2007, 12:33 PM
    Correction:
    Apple II (note the last *one post*! :( ): https://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4198
  7. 02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
    PCAE was probably only picked because it's the only one that has an option to record games to an AVI file. But since you state that only VHS or DVD is acceptable, then I suggest using Z26 (of all the emulators, it has the most accurate emulation). Plus it doesn't have the incompatibility problems with XP that PCAE does.
  8. 02-09-2007, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    PCAE was probably only picked because it's the only one that has an option to record games to an AVI file. But since you state that only VHS or DVD is acceptable, then I suggest using Z26 (of all the emulators, it has the most accurate emulation). Plus it doesn't have the incompatibility problems with XP that PCAE does.
    PCAE was probably the second-best 2600 emulator at the time it was deemed acceptable. I seem to recall the Z26 interface was somewhat black-hat territory back then also, so usability was no doubt factor - as well as direct Windows support. As you state, the AVI support was a boost for PCAE and seemed an easier submission process. As has been documented, AVIs are no longer accepted (just throwing that in - in case someone stumbles across this who isn't in the know).

An overhaul is long overdue, but as I tried to hint above, it's been long overdue for some years. Formalising a change of emulator will take time - it took a good six months for us to switch away from v0.78 of WolfMAME - the move from v0.101 to v0.106 is a very small one, but even that took many weeks. WolfMAME is by far more popular for submissions due to it's inp support (again, the ease of submission is a major factor). MESS has been looked at in great depth on more than one occasion - for it's inp support and the reknown of MAME upon which it is built - but remains unaccepted outside of experiments (as with AVI).
Join us