Cyberfly Blog

1. 12-10-2006, 09:43 AM
    PS1 Console - Namco Museum Volume 1 - Pole Position

This was one of the arcade games I did play back in the Golden Era of Gaming. I was a good player but not a master of the game. I do recall two distinct memories from this game. First, were the bright florescent colors of the game. Second, was the sliding/turning maneuver in turn number #4.

When I use to play video games back in the arcade days, I favored space shooting games over driving games. You see, in most driving games you had to complete the course as fast as you can. That meant, you had to keep puttting quarters into the machine, because most driving games were over in less then 5 minutes. In space shooting games, you could play many hours on one quarter :shock:

I had quit a good time playing this game, as it brought back a lot of memories. :o My best score yesterday was 52,790. On this run, I qualified in second and didn't fully complete the course. My game ended right before the finish line on the last lap.

Practice makes perfect :!:
    YOUR SOURCE FOR CLASSIC CONSOLE CONTENT!
  2. 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
    PS1 CONSOLE - NAMCO MUSEUM VOL 1 - POLE POSITION

I have been working on this game the past few days.

You must qualify for the main race by completing one lap with a fast lap time. If successful, when you cross the Start/Finish line after completing the lap, you will receive your starting position for the main race.

When I first started practicing the qualifing lap, my starting position was between 6-8. After some practice, it was between 3-5 and now I can qualify 1 or 2 almost every time. Also, the higher the qualifing position, the more bonus points you earn. If you qualify first, your first lap total is 14,000.

When starting the main race, you will begin from the position that you qualified. You must then successfully complete four laps to finish the race.
    Completing the race has taken much practice. Up until yesterday, I was only able to completed the race 3 times.

In order to achieve a world record score, you have to qualify 1st and complete all four laps with no crashes.

After work, and before MNF (Chicago vs Rams), I am originally from Chicago, I decide to put in a few practice laps. On the first game my score was:58,900WR/total time 231\"96/fastest lap 56.51/avg sp 277.69

One small problem, I wasn't taping. :roll:

Moral of the story........always have the tape rolling :!: :!: :!:
  3. 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
    THE SPACED OUT YEARS - DELUXE SPACE

The arcade game that really got me hooked on video games was Space Invaders Deluxe. I used to go to Dog Ear Records and play it any time I could find a spare quarter.

One of the reasons I got hooked on this game, was the fact that if you obtained the high score, which was located at the top of the screen directly in the middle, you got to spell out anything you wanted with the nine or ten characters. I choose my first intial and last name. The first time I put my name up on the screen, I felt a really sense of accomplishment and pride.

As I would play baseball or ride my bike around the neighborhood, others kids would say to me, \"I saw your name on Space Invaders at Dog Ear\". Or they would razz me and say \"Your name wouldn't be up there long. My brother is going over to Dog Ear to play\". I logged a lot of miles on my bike that year, riding back and forth each day to check on the machine.

The only thing was that at the end of the day, when the machine was turned off, the score would reset. This meant that if I wanted my name up on the machine, I would have to go back and put in another quarter. At a minimum of $1.75 a week, this was an expense habit for someone who was from a middle class family with only a paper route.

But, where there is a will, there is a way. :idea:
  4. 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
    Leaving the Fold - Robert Mruczek

I was deeply shocked to hear that Robert Mruczek is no longer a TG staff member.

I first e-mailed Robert back on June 15th 2005. It was just a short email informing him that I had discovered the Twin Galaxies website. To my surprise, I received a reply from him in a little over one hour. It stated \"Always nice to hear from a classic gamer\". I took this as sincere and not some canned corporate response.

Robert is reconized as on of the leading gaming enthusiasts in the world. He also adds an extremely high level of creditability to the score keeping at Twin Galaxies. He has scrutinized the efforts and scores from gamers around the world. The amount of time and effort he has put into the video gaming community is unparalleled.

It was because of Robert that my interest in video games was renewed.

This truely is a great loss for the gaming community and Twin Galaxies.
  5. 12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
    THE SPACED OUT YEARS - STRING AND TAPE

As the saying goes.....practice makes perfect. Except, to practice you need quarters and lot of them.

When the video crazy hit, I was in the eighth grade. I had a paper route, which paid $30 a month back then, and I had an allowance of $5.00 per week. That was just a little over $1.00 per day. Not much for someone who had a \"bad\" habit. So as most kids do, I would look in the sofa, kitchen drawers, between the car seats, anywhere that there might me loose change. I also remember selling my baseball card collection, beer can collection, stamp collection, old coin collection, records, cassette tapes, anything that I didn't have a need for anymore. But then, my financial position changed.

I can't recall who first showed me the \"string trick\" but this basically gave me access to \"UNLIMITED MACHINE CREDITS\". The concept was very simple, you take a quarter and tape some thread to the quarter. You then could put the quarter into the machine, holding the thread, and when the credit would register, pull the quarter back out of the machine. :twisted:

After some practice I became a master. I got so good at it, I could drop a quarter into the machine, tap in 3 or 4 credits, pull out the quarter, all in under 5 seconds with no one the wiser.

With unlimited machine credits all I had to do now was practice.
  6. 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
    THE SPACED OUT YEARS - DOG SPACE

Dog Ear Records was located at Plaza Del Prado in Northbrook, IL. It was a typical record store except they coverted the backroom, which was where the cassette tape section was located, into a video arcade room.

This room consisted of 3 or 4 arcade games. They would never keep the same games in the store very long. As soon as a \"hot\" game would come on the market, they would swap an old game for a newer game. They had Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender and Pac-Man. This ensured that the quarters would keep flowing into the games.

But, because of the limited number of games, that meant that you could wait up to one hour to get on a game. After school, I would get on the bus to go home. Unlike most kids, once I got off the bus, I would then run to my house, jump on my bike, and pedal as fast as I could to get to Dog Ear Records first. I have to say that I got quit good at riding my ten speed in the rain and snow.

For a couple of years, this store would become my home base training center. A place where many a battle would take place. 8)
  7. 12-17-2006, 01:13 PM
    THE SPACED OUT YEARS - SPACE SUPREMACY

My first battle for video game supremacy was on Asteroids.

Asteroids was one of the first arcade games that keep track of the top ten high scores. To have your initials in the first place score was a big deal at Dog Ear Records. It was proof that you were the best :!:

After the game had been out for a month or so, myself and Rob Meritt,
    who was an 8th grade classmate of mine were distancing ourself from everyone else in terms of high scores. Rob would go around school and proclaim himself as the best Asteroids player. He would offer that take on anyone for any amount. Some people in school got tired of his mouth and told him that he wasn't the best. They had seen me play at Dog Ear and I that was better then him.

So one day in gym class, he approached me and said, \"We need to settle this\". I replied back, \"settle what\", trying to act all cool. But I knew what he was talking about. \"Asteroids man, I am talking about Asteroids\" he said.

We agreed to meet after school at Dog Ear Records. He was so sure he was going to beat me that he said in front of everyone in gym class that he would bet his \"house\". In actuality we would be playing for bragging rights.

After school, I took the bus home, got on my bike and went to Dog Ear Records. When I got to Dog Ear, things didn't seem right. There were bikes all over the place. As I entered the store, the guy working there said, \"Rob is in the back waiting for you\". As I made my way towards the back of the store, I couldn't see the games. There were so many people in the back room from school that everyone couldn't all fit in there.

Rob was there. He had on his red members only jacket and was wearing sunglasses. He also brought along his \"crew\". His crew consisted of his two 13 years old friends. \"I didn't think you would show up, thought maybe your bike might have a flat tire\" he said.

We each put our quarters into the game. I stood there staring him down. \"You go first\", I said. \"Nope, I am the best, the challenger always goes first\" he said back to me adding \"You aren't going to chicken out now\".

So, I went first. My hands were a little shaky, and my heart was racing. I had never been challenged before. Plus all there kids were watching us. I wasn't comforable playing but I still managed to score 19,000 on my first guy. Rob took over and scored 21,000 on his first guy. As I watched him play, I was able to relax a little bit. On my second guy, I ran the score all the way up to 64,000. As my second ship died, I look over at Rob. I could tell he was nervous. Rob died before 30,000, on his second ship. We continued to battle back and forth. When the dust had cleared, my score was 111,000 to his 62,000. Most of the kids watching had stayed for the entire match, some even clapped when it was all over.

\"Good game\" he said, extending his hand. I really didn't think he was going to show good sportmanship but he did. Because we were friends, I said \"You know, I really don't need a house, just buy me an ice cream sandwich at lunch tomorrow\".

I have to say, that was one of the best ice cream sandwiches that I have ever eaten :D
  8. 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM
    PS1 - Pole Position

Had the tape recording and clocked in the following score:
    59,600 WR
    231\"8
    Fastest Lap 55:16

This score was obtained using the PS1 controller. I keep trying to pursue a score over 60,000.
  9. 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM
    Namco Museum Volume 1 - BOSCONIAN

This was also a game that I played in the arcade once upon a time. I especially don't like using the PS1 controllers on this game. But, I think I might jump back into the fray and give Tom and Terence some competition.

Current WR held by Tom Duncan 93,140. Who will be the first over 100,000 :D
  10. 12-19-2006, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfly
    Who will be the first over 100,000 :D
    It's On! :)
    my pronouns: f/you.
Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Join us