- David McCrary

1. - David McCrary

08-22-2007, 01:28 PM
    With all the craze of King of Kong, I've really been into Donkey Kong again - however I only have the MAME. My question is, Is the MAME platform of DKONG the same \"challenge\" as the arcade version? Or is a score on MAME with similar settings and a SCORE on the arcade version compariable or apples and oranges?

Dave
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
  2. Differences

08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
    Hi LMDave:

Good to hear you are back in the hobby again...it's too good of one to leave behind for any amount of time.

As a matter of policy and stance, TG tracks the scores separately as these are unique platforms.

As for challenge and differences between the two, I'll offer this.

Due to the way that MAME both behaves and what options are available for it, the possibility always exists that a particular titlemay play easier, harder or about the same as the arcade original, and in some cases it won't play at all or may play with significant difficulties and problems. I will illustrate with cases in point and continue from there.

ABOUT THE SAME

Donkey Kong in my opinion has the same look and feel of the arcade classic based on my limited expertise. However, deeply rooted nuance variations may or may not exist as compared to the arcade classic. For example, maybe in MAME the fireballs or barrels behave more inconsistently, or are slightly more aggressive. Or, maybe the points awarded for the hammer hits are slightly higher on average in one platform versus the other.

In general, DK plays about the same.

NOT EVEN CLOSE

However, other titles do not. Many titles have a screen that informs you of problems. Try \"Demoneye X\" and someofthe older titles to see what I mean. Maybe \"Hunchback\", \"Hero\" and off the top of my head I can't think of others, but I know that there are more than a few.

Some titles even have artwork and without it on MAME, you are pretty much playing in the blind. Try \"Armor Attack\" and \"Frogs\" to see what I mean.

And then there are those that translated poorly. All I will say is \"Monaco GP\" as a primary example. And thern there is \"Star Wars\" which I have seen get into a situation where after you finish the tie fighter stage you never reach the DeathStar and instead keep on flying.

MAME IS EASIER

There are many titles where using MAME is like night and day compared to the arcade classic. One such title is \"Sea Wolf\". Instead of having your head looking thru a periscope and having to move your entire body swivelling from left to right, MAME is just a mouse swipe.

\"Chiller\" is even easier. It is by default a firing game with no on-screen cursor, where by default MAME shows a cursor. I got 20M+ on this title due to that very reason.

Trackball-based games, knob-based games, and even some other exotic controller types, often give players the ability to change the rotational and analog control movements so that they are speedier. This really helps in games like \"Tailgunner\".

ARCADE IS EASIER

Unless you possess a \"HotRod\" style controller or similiar, some titles will be extremely difficult to play using a keyboard. Think \"Robotron\".

Same for heavy-on-the-processor titles such as \"Mr Driller\" and \"Stun Runner\"...without a super speedy CPU, good luck playing these at all !!

As far as playability goes, for reasons unknown to me I get better bonuses on \"Indiana Jones\" on an arcade original than I ever receive on MAME.

Hope that helps a bit.

Robert
  3. 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

When I play it, to me it has the same feel as the original, except for keyboard controls.

What I'm confused on is how could it be different. I thought ROMs were actually memory dumps from the ROM inside of the original game, point accumulation, and programmed reactions on barrells/fireballs would be the same code as the original.

I've played ROMs for a couple of years, but never got into realizing what they were and how they were different that the original arcade game. I thought they would all be the same.
  4. 08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
    The data is the same but the hardware running it is different, hence emulation is provided by MAME. I can't think of a single emulator that is 100% perfect, although you can come close enough from a gameplay point of view that it doesn't really matter. Since it can be hard to quantify the differences when there are some, arcade and MAME are kept separate.
    Martin Bedard

Arcade Finder - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
  5. 08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
    Where did you find a MAME Rom for Donkey Kong? I've been looking allover for one and have been unable to find one that works.

Thanks
  6. 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
    Mine was bad also, but found a good one. I've been the same with Pac Man....can't find a working MAME.
  7. 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
    Deleted
  8. 08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
    if you set 1+ million on DK using MAME...that would still be a big story and accomplishment!!!
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
  9. 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM
    I busted 1 Millon on the MAME version of Donkey Kong last night!

NOT! :lol:
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  10. 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pro
    The data is the same but the hardware running it is different, hence emulation is provided by MAME. I can't think of a single emulator that is 100% perfect, although you can come close enough from a gameplay point of view that it doesn't really matter. Since it can be hard to quantify the differences when there are some, arcade and MAME are kept separate.
    Well, if you can get your pacman patterns work on mame, it could be said emulation really is 100%

Then again some games in mame run exactly as original, but speed of the game is not emulated correctly. Star Wars for example.

To answer da original question: I've never heard anyone claiming a difference on Donkey Kong gameplay comparing mame/arcade...and I've been hanging around for a while :)
    Terveisin,
    TJT
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Join us