Silent Hill bounty

1. Silent Hill bounty

02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
    It's been suggested that the completion time for this bounty be changed to 34 minutes or less (or is that less than 34 minutes? anyway), it's been a little while so I'm wondering if the refs are considering it. will it be changed? thanks.
  2. 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
    We are still discussing the best time to set the bounty. Perhaps 33:30 may be more like it, but Robert must make the final call since its his cash on the line. :)
  3. 05-03-2005, 10:06 AM
    are the people discussing the time for this title even people who have attempted running through the game.. let alone the ones who speed through it?
  4. 05-03-2005, 10:37 AM
    hmm, coincidentally I was going to bump this topic for an update on the situation..

to Robert or MKM - have you guys gotten close to deciding on a time yet?
  5. 05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Square
    hmm, coincidentally I was going to bump this topic for an update on the situation..

to Robert or MKM - have you guys gotten close to deciding on a time yet?
    We are currently discussing a rules change proposed by Duke that would change the bounty to the fastest finish postmarked by 12/31/2005.

We have not made a final decision just yet, but will do so shortly! 8)
  6. 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM
    Hehe I've long forgotten about the Silent Hill bounty that twingalaxies offered 2 years ago; I guess we never got a final judgement on what the rules would be.:-p

As I recall the rules for this bounty were:

Bounty (101) ? Silent Hill (Bounty Prize: $75.00) for the Sony Playstation (PS1) Challenge Rating ? 3 (out of 5) Challenge: beat the game in 30 minutes or less Rules and Settings - default Bounty Prize - $75.00 Bounty Payable Date ? January 31st, 2006.

I remember finding this bounty as a bit of an insult; a difficulty level of 3 out of 5 was given to a bounty that was impossible to achieve. In any event I recently returned to this game as a japanese gamer named Zeno (some of you may have heard of him) made his own silent hill 1 speedrun; finishing in a time of 35 minutes and 26 seconds on normal mode with the good+ ending. The main differences between his run and my 35:29 run were that he got the good+ ending and I got the bad+ ending (the bad+ ending is quicker to get and saves about, at most, 75 seconds from getting the good+ ending; this made my old run look even worse by comparison) however his utilized the red liquid glitch (which saves 26 seconds off not using it; I chose not to use any glitches when i first made my run) and was a multisegment run (I believe he used 7 or 8 saves; my run was single-segment).

After hearing of this (in june of 07 I believe) I decided to return to this game to challenge Zeno's run under his rules (normal mode, good+ ending, glitches used and multi-segment) and after a month and a half of reworking through this game I finished it in a time of 33 minutes and 50 seconds. I was originally going to go back to a previous save and replay the last two segments going for the bad+ ending for comparison's sake but never did; I estimate that if I had my times would have been between 32:35-32:50 (I know 60 seconds would be easy for me to shave off but I don't think I could take off more than 75; I could be wrong by a few seconds but in any event it doesn't matter). Keep in mind that these were multi-segments and getting times like this in a single segment run....well I don't even want to think about it.

Regardless I estimated that about 15 seconds could be taken off my multi-segment run so to recap:

The fastest possible time for a good+, normal mode, new game is approx. 33:30-33:35. If the red liquid glitch isn't allowed it would be 33:56-34:01.

With the bad+ ending the fastest possible time would be 32:20-32:45. Without allowing glitches it would be 32:46-33:11.

Just thought it would be interesting to bring this up after i remembered a bounty calling for a sub 30 finish.:-D

Oh and to see the SH video it's on a japanese site run by a man named shin: http://homepage3.nifty.com/shin3/movie/movie.htm Currently it's the second video on the site; just scroll down until you see it (the name I use is Ekudeht as it's my SDA name).

Just figured I'd take a stroll down TG memory lane.:-p
Join us