Explain your Name and/or Avatar

1. 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
    Mine's a bit obvious... as I've been using the same username since Nov. 29, 1996 (over 11.25 years so far)

My current avatar is self-made using Code Monkey's Jerry as the template & placing personal touches (as well as an attempt at making a ref shirt work in an 8-bit style). BTW, I do have a layout guide for a good number of the Code Monkey characters... if anybody wants to make their own (PM me for the link).
  2. 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM
    I started playing Quake III online back in 1999. I don't remember what name I was using online back then, but other Quake players started calling me Rage, because of the way I would dominate the game. :) I got to like the name, and I was also a big Rage Against the Machine fan (still am), so I started using it as my tag. Shortly afterwards, I was approached by a Quake clan who wanted me to join their \"Rage\" clan.. They were all named...Rage :lol: ..I did NOT join!
    Being from Manhattan, I added a \"NYC\" to my name, to set myself apart from them! RaGeNyC is my real online name that I've been using since '99. I dropped the NYC when I joined Twin Galaxies, since there are no other Rages here!!

I just switched my avatar back to my original that I use online. The Q3 character I used was named \"Anarki\" He's probably my favorite character from any game, so I started using the anarchy symbol.. plus I'm a bit of an anarchist myself :o :mrgreen:
  3. 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
    Well, I'm honestly not entirely sure anymore how \"Zotmeister\" came about, but when I'm sure of: it was during the short period I attended Northeastern University in Boston (I was on a full scholarship for two years, and ultimately got what I paid for). One Eric Kilby of Fall River, Massachusetts claims it was originally his idea, which I cannot confirm nor deny. I did use the interjection 'zot' a lot back then, so much so that others started using it as other parts of speech as well, so I guess somewhere along the line it caught on. I was pretty much the de facto video game king of the honors dorm, so I suppose my two notabilities of the time merged.

My avatar, obviously :wink:, is the highscore guardian from my favorite arcade game of all time, Butasan. As far as I know, he has no name; I'd suggest Banzuke if it ever comes up. - ZM
  4. Re: it's a secret

03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard
    but I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "mruh - 'check".
    I have a recollection it's said mur-zak?...from listening Missile Command aftermath...
    No, Dave has got it. Though I think you pronounce the "u" rather than the "uh". Maybe it depends on your accent. Don't believe anything you hear when Missile Command is involved.
    Martin Bedard

Arcade Finder - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
  5. 03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
    I've been using the Internet for the better part of 15 years now (the WWW hadn't been invented back then and almost everything was text) but Barthax wasn't my first moniker: it is, however, my second. ;) The first moniker that sprung to mind back when I found a need was Freak Show due to the abnormal \"paint splodge\" section of white hair I have among my otherwise black mop. Back then I had long hair and infrequently got referred to as a male Morticia Addams (incorrectly, of course, as they intended to mean Lily Munster!).

Anyway, Freak Show didn't last very long and I found the need to change it due to being associated with inappropriate sites - so I happened to use the name of a character I was playing in a long-running RPG. The character wasn't even mine to begin with and existed in the campaign as a PC prior to me even joining the group. So, I can't even say I had an input in the name. ;)

That said, I'm still surprised at how the name remains almost unique & so I have come to relate to it as second identity: I made the RPG character my own & now the name also in all but legality - I've had snail mail and even the occasional in-person reference using it! Searching Google will find traces of my Internet usage from a lot of different places. There's a couple of RPG references & one WarCraft reference that isn't me on the first 6-7 pages or so (and then the 'bots start showing up). ;)

As for the avatar, that's from a game called Lab Rat by Games Magnet Ltd which I dominated for a while - Google still has the front-page reference in it's cache for gamesmagnet and I still have the game installed. :D
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  6. 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM
    Hi all!

TRB_MetroidTeam

\"TRB\" means \"The Real Battle\" (fighting game is my favorite style 8) ), also is my last name without the vowels.

\"MetroidTeam\" obviously is the name of my team (4 members).

The 1st time I used \"TRB\" was on game \"Thunder Force AC\" (Arcade) around 1993. The game stored the Top10 Ranking on memory, and one friend (\"Valter\" too) already used \"VAL\" initials, so I decided to use \"TRB\".
    TRB_MetroidTeam
    Metroid Team, from Brazil
  7. 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM
    My avatar is a picture from inside a beetle statue on a pillar inside a rotating room in Riven, the sequel to Myst. It portrays Gehn (father of Atrus) as the creator of worlds. He is at his desk, penning a new Age. (And you can almost see his creations jumping out of the linking book). My username should now be explainable. :D
  8. Re: Explain your Name and/or Avatar

03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Griffin
    I?ll start the ball rolling: my screen name is pretty self-explanatory. My Avatar is a picture I drew of my son as the Kid Flash :wink:
    Thanks for explaining that. I've always really liked your avatar because I thought it was just so silly and fun, and I've always wondered who/what it was... :)

And RaGe, what was your previous avatar (the spooky black and green character)? It was my favorite on TG!

My alias and avatar are from one of my absolute favorite movies, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, a 1978 Shaw Brothers production that is often called the greatest kung fu flick of all time. The protagonist's name is San Te, and he is based on an actual historical figure, a Shaolin monk from early 18th century China. The film was hugely influential, and its impact can be seen and felt in virtually every martial arts film that came after, especially in the U.S. martial arts film craze of the 1980s. Yes, even The Karate Kid borrowed heavily from this movie.

In June 2007 the film finally got a Region 1 DVD release of Celestial Pictures' 2003-era restored print. I was lucky enough to see this restored print at the Seattle International Film Festival in 2003 and it instantly became one of my all-time favorite films. Celestial Pictures had bought the rights to the entire Shaw Brothers catalog (nearly 1000 titles!) and had set about meticulously restoring hundreds of original prints and re-releasing them all on DVD. I imported their Region 3 NTSC DVD release of 36th Chamber from Hong Kong not long after.

Hong Kong kung fu movies usually have one or more "a.k.a." titles associated with them, and this one is also known in the U.S. as Master Killer as well as Shaolin Master Killer (Amazon link for earlier, bad quality DVD release). I can't vouch for the newer Region 1 release mentioned above since I don't own it, but I understand it is the restored print. I really recommend Celestial Pictures' Region 3 NTSC release, as it is the restored print and is in the original Cantonese with English subtitles. Of course, you'd need a DVD player that supports all regions to play it but those are common and inexpensive these days. As an alternative, Netflix has the new Region 1 release, although I understand it is so popular you may be in for a long wait.

If you?re a fan of kung fu flicks and haven?t seen it, check it out immediately. If you?re not a fan of kung fu flicks, this movie will make you one!

Fun fact: The star of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Gordon Liu, played two roles in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films, including Pai Mei, the Bride's heartless tutor. Not surprising, given that Tarantino is a certifiable kung fu nut and 36th Chamber is one of his favorite films.

Fun fact #2: The voice of Pai Mei in Kill Bill Vol. 2 was done by Tarantino himself, in Chinese, and dubbed over Gordon Liu's spoken lines. :)
  9. 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
    These are all great stories so far! I love hearing things like this :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax
    As for the avatar, that's from a game called Lab Rat by Games Magnet Ltd
    See, again I wasn't paying attention - I thought it was a couple of beer steins with studs on them (apparently the feet) and a handle out the back (apparently the tail), and a chunk 'o cheese; kind of a medival thing. Perhaps I need glasses... :?

SanTe, your description of the "36th Chamber..." movie made me want to watch it!
  10. 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Griffin
    SanTe, your description of the "36th Chamber..." movie made me want to watch it!
    You won't regret it. I purposely didn't discuss the plot because I think any newcomers to it should be totally surprised like I was. It's the long middle section of the movie that is so cool to see for the first time, and it is what influenced so many other films the most. This approach to the genre had never been done before, from what I understand. The first 20-30 minutes are a little slow, but it is just setting up the story so stick with it.

And if you get hooked I just discovered that Sunset Tavern in Ballard does "Kung Fu Grindhouse Night", usually twice a month, on Monday nights. 21+ only and admission is free. Not much seating though, so get there early if you can. I recommend calling ahead to verify dates and times. Here is their MySpace page where they post the upcoming schedule. Just keep in mind that the grindhouse flicks are so bad they are great (and that's the point), while 36th Chamber is just great, period. :)
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Join us