Explain your Name and/or Avatar

1. 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWeasel
    CaptainWeasel was a little sidekick that my dad made for his website back in the early days, I simply took it to use as my moniker.

My avatar is me. Being silly.
    Well there's nothing wrong with a bit of silliness is there :D
  2. 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
    Name: I'm an avid rapper, and my moniker is DJ Solar.

Avatar: My avatar from the MMO MapleStory (I don't play it much anymore though).
  3. 09-03-2020, 06:35 PM
    A few months ago I started a similar "handle origin story" thread on a BBS I called (they're still around! But most you access via telnet), and it was super interesting to hear each caller explain the circumstances behind their choices. I thought it would be fun to start a similar thread at TG, but before diving in I wisely decided to do a forum search first, and here we are! So let's keep the party going by picking up a 12 year old thread where things left off...

"The Evener" dates back to the 1980s when I regularly called BBSes with my friends. At that time (circa 1985/86) I tended to use "Admiral Kirk" as my handle for most of my BBS accounts, but when Kirk was demoted to Captain at the end of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the handle felt a bit out of time. One of my other handles was "The Evener," which was a riff on the CBS drama series "The Equalizer," which aired from 1986 to 1989. Starring Edward Woodward as retired secret agent Robert McCall, the well-to-do McCall served as a "gun for hire" for the less fortunate who were embroiled on a weekly basis in some sort of crisis, such as a crime they didn't commit. McCall in his own way would "equal the score," hence the series' name. Get it? I found the pun highly annoying, so as my low level act of resistance, I created a literal translation of the moniker for BBS use.

Until recently, I used one of the baddies from Elevator Action as my avatar, but I decided to change things up with an original character created by my daughter who's an aspiring illustrator/animator (although she just started high school). The girl in the illustration is nameless, but she was inspired by my daughter's middle school experience, which was a tough go last outing. The girl is suspended in sadness either in water or space. You can see the stars of the universe in her hair and body, pointing to an interconnection despite her apparent isolation. There's a stoicism about her as well, and I was struck by the illustration, which prompted me to take the character as my new avatar.

Name:  TGillustration1.png
Views: 87
Size:  542.1 KB
    Last edited by The Evener; 09-03-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Likes RaGe, Barthax, Streetwize liked this post
  4. 09-04-2020, 05:44 AM
    sure i'll hope on this one especially since people often guess wrong due to it now being political but i choose the name before that

i used to live the show "momas family", one episode i enjoyed was when she named her whtie cat "midnight" i guess on the "a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" i've always liked how names can be misnomers and we shouldnt read into a name (man could i go on a tangent with that on how businesses and organizations pick a name and many people foolishly believe the organization/business by definiton must be what the name states even if its not). I've often had black cats, didnt really seek them out, took in strays, i guess it says something black cats need more adopting than other cats, so on the same principle i named one snowball -- i know the simpsons made the same joke with their black cat, but i got it from reversing the much older "moma's family" joke, not "the simpsons".

i actually had a choice that my parents would let me take in snowball as my own or buy me the turbografx16 expansion for some work i had done around the house. i made the right choice but thats its own story

years later, my girlfriend got me a black cat, i always knew my next cat would be "snowflake" a littlle snowball in snowballs memory. One night, after getting starcraft 2 i was deciding on my screenname for b.net, just then snowflake walked by.

the older generation will remember "snowflake" as a political insult is failry new. "special snowflake" always existed, but somewhat rarely and never "snowflake" by itself. It got pretty annoying at first how overnight the term was everywhere, when you see your screenname in a wall of text you instinctively get pulled in like "what duh" and then "oh yeah this nonsense..."
    Lode Runner Champion
  5. 09-04-2020, 06:52 AM
    if you liked mommas family, you might want to see if you can find a show called mrs browns boys. Its a british show (I think) that I saw when I was in australia years ago. I loved it cause to me it was like mommas family with the occasional swearing.
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
  6. 09-07-2020, 02:23 AM
    I like this kind of threads.
    My nick was Mazz1983, without Ita, since I went online for the first time in the early 90s. Some time after, I started to add Ita because it happened a couple of times that Mazz1983 was already taken when I wanted to sign up to new websites.
    Basically it's MAZZ(how people call me since middle school, short for my family name Mazzini)+1983(birth year)+ITA(i'm Italian).
    I like it because it's simple and direct, not like you see on Reddit "BreakdancingPurplePigeon". I mean wtf is that supposed to mean?
    My avatar is just a stupid pic a fan took a couple of years ago while I was working (sound engineer/tour manager/roadie/scapegoat for a tribute band). He had these cheap guitar-shaped sunglasses so I borrowed them, I thought they matched my t-shirt in silliness.
  7. 09-07-2020, 06:20 AM
    My screen name is obviously my name.

When the CBS game Wizard of Wor was released for the Atari 2600 in the 80's, I was a big fan of Wizard of Wor in the arcades. I was not very good, but I liked the game. I bought the game new and there was an insert to compete for high score and you would earn a medal; similar to earning the Activision patches. Since I had most of the Activision patches, I had to get the medal. I eventually reached the score goal, took a picture, and sent it in to earn my medal. I have no idea what score was needed as I no longer have the flier. My avatar is a picture of the medal that I earned and still have. :)
    Last edited by SincerelyFranny; 09-09-2020 at 08:06 AM.
  8. 09-13-2020, 05:33 AM
    Interesting names and avatars.
    I did had an avatarsomtime back but remove it.
    I am still thinking what must I use to create I e that is original...

My name I decided to use as my handle for following reasons:
    - I was and still is annoyed by not knowing who the people are that hide behind ALT names, because o e would like to be able to connect to real people play g arcade games after been so isolated from the "world" arcade scene for 30+ years. I am from South Africa, so it interesting to read up who was.. /past arcade gamers in 80s 90s, who are know the Top10 of KLOV100 games

- bear in mind the above I choose rather have a handle people can see, know who I am just the way I am without hiding anything or be someone else...

I have nothing against interesting handles or avatars, it creates a person and a sometimes a driving force for the gamer which keep the forums interesting

Example Triforce..., Datagod, pacwhiz ect..

Are examples of gamers who are not hesitant parti participate under a handle but also people also other gamers to know their real names, so that people like me not from the USA,can also know, learn who still participate on forums...and done so in the past

My handle resembles my :
    name + initial of my second name + surname
    Name: Francois
    Second name: Armand (a)
    Surname : du Toit (dt)

Have a great day
    Regards
    Francois
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  9. 09-13-2020, 07:14 AM
    Apology for the typos in my previous post. I do type on a medium size mobile phone where the screen scrolls a lot. This mean I cannot see the full sentences back and forth, especially a problem when typing long posts.
    streaming mspacman normal and turbo speed at: https://www.twitch.tv/francoisadt

Francois du Toit
  10. 10-02-2020, 04:53 AM
    my nickname, this is my nickname in many games and I like the name Karl, my avatar, this is a character from my favorite anime.
    Likes francoisadt liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Join us