- Michael Ryan McBride

1. - Michael Ryan McBride

12-17-2010, 09:58 PM
    I'm trying to wade through the muck of C64 game recording and the processes that are acceptable. I'll skip talking about the process of acquiring the game ROMs, but I need to know how to "Record" my gameplay. As of the moment, I have no video camera. I can run a C64 emulator but what program can I use to do a complete video capture? Or can I?
    I'm confused.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

12-18-2010, 12:06 AM
    I'm pretty sure TG doesn't accept emulated C64 play any more.

On the other hand, if you have/get a real C64, recording is very easy - just plug into a VCR or whatever setup you might have for your TV :D
  3. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

12-18-2010, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev John
    I'm pretty sure TG doesn't accept emulated C64 play any more.

On the other hand, if you have/get a real C64, recording is very easy - just plug into a VCR or whatever setup you might have for your TV :D
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they quit accepting all emulators except MAME. Finding a real C-64 shouldn't be too hard, as many as they made. Not sure how easy it is to find old floppies though, and how long they last. I haven't hooked mine up in years.
  4. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

12-18-2010, 01:13 PM
    Yep, we stopped accepting emulation for the C64 a few months back. If you're interested, on ebay a C64 usually runs around $40. There are a nice amount of cartridge games out there, so holding off on the disc drive is an option. You can sometimes grab a 1541 disc drive for under $20.
  5. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
    Has anyone managed to record C64 games using Vice? I want to upload some footage to Youtube, but can't get the built in Vice recording function to work. I've tried putting the ffmpeg codecs in the Vice directory but still can't get it to work. Has anyone else sussed it?
  6. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-01-2011, 09:45 AM
    Yes... There is probly a link in here somewhere but I see what I can key up for you... kinda in a hurry right now so ignore typos

Under the Snapshot tag click Start/Stop Record History. Run you game. Then Start/Stop again. It makes 2 files, start.vfs and end.vsf. I think the default save stop is the WinVICE folder itself.

To playback

Open Vice
    Attach .crt or .D64 image
    goto "Snapshot" and then to "Select History file/directory" A browse window will pop up
    Here you select both the start.vsf and end.vsf. You can rename them, just keep them together in their own folder to avoid confusion.
    Now go back to "Snapshot" and then to "Start/Stop Playback History" and the gameplay will run.

If you want a file other than your own to try and get the playback to work, I have one playback zipped and uploaded here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?gd3scc63prbgq5f

200k on Wizards of Wor :? It might give you some ideas on renaming your files for "filing"

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
  7. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
    Thanks Brandon, that's really helpful. I can get this bit to work now :-), but the output file is a .vsf, which is not uploadable. I think Vice has a recording feature to create an avi file, but this is the bit I can't get to work. Any further suggestions gratefully received!
  8. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
    Only thing I can suggest from there is to use a screen capture program like camstudio to record the playback. The problem with camstudio I have found is the audio gets out of sync during long secessions. I have used it a few time for shorter things and it seems too much like work to me :evil: I guess I need to update my recording software.

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
  9. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-03-2011, 08:05 AM
    Yeah I was considering using Fraps to do the same thing, but had read some reviews about the same audio sync problem. Hmmm :? I'm sure a solution will arise.
  10. Re: Need to know how to record C64 games.

05-03-2011, 10:28 AM
    Once you've got your .vsf files, using both the playback feature and the record feature one after each other. Tip: press the Pause button on the keyboard, then start the playback, then start the AVI recording, then unpause. :)

Warning: VICE does not generate sound-synchronised AVI files. :(

Are you having trouble with the FFMPEG files? There's different files required for different versions of VICE...

[Edit:] http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... tors/VICE/ for the ffmpeg files (buried in the list) for v1.2x.

[Edit 2:] http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/builds/ r16537 may be needed for the latest VICE, can't remember... These are the two downloads I've kept along with VICE, and I remember there being issues with the former for newer versions (interface changes).
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us