Deca2K8 - Metal Slug 3 [Official Discussion Thread]

1. Deca2K8 - Metal Slug 3 [Official Discussion Thread]

04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
    This thread is here for discussion about Metal Slug 3. Please use this to discuss any issues, strategies, tips and even ask questions in regards to this title. ^^

Please remember for this title to use the Default Neo Geo Bios as notated in the rules in the main thread. [And if you have no clue, then chances are you're using it already and you're good to go. ^^]

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  2. 04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
    There's currently VERIFICATION DIFFICULTIES with this title...

Please hold off on your submissions until the difficulties present are resolved!

Thank for you understanding.

UPDATE!

The problem with submissions have been resolved... So you may resume submissions!
  3. 04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
    I would like to note that 5:00 PM CDT is the general cut-off for next-day verification. All submissions after this time will be grouped with submissions from the next day.

Those submitting after 4:00 PM on Saturday will not have their submission verified until Tuesday since I usually offline on Sundays & all submissions over the weekend will be picked up on Monday.

Just a note that I will be a bit flexible with the 48-hour rule as a result so nobody gets unfairly treated.
  4. 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
    I just want to note that the top scores...

Verified (at time of post): 86,980 pts by Robert Macauley

Unverified (at time of post): 8,085,500 pts by [NAME TO BE POSTED TOMORROW]

I'll get through my current load of scores (7 so far), so keep this up!
  5. 04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TStodden
    And to think, there's soooooo much more potential there. I honestly can see a good 9 Million come up... possibly 9.2.. maybe 9.5 with some lucky bonuses and 0 deaths.

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  6. 04-08-2008, 03:53 AM
    Verified (at time of post): 86,980 pts by Robert Macauley

Way to make a bloke feel inferior. :P

I've got my suspicions as to who this mysterious gamer is.

For what it's worth I just submitted 731K but compared to 8 million it's still pretty woeful. At this stage I'll be happy with 2 million. Anything else is a bonus.

Cheers

Rob
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
  7. 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
    Kelly, 9.5 million is pretty conservative...check my latest MARP recording. I know that 10.7+ is possible, but I haven't yet implemented all these techniques into my play.
  8. 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
    OK! Here's the current status.

I have 3 scores to verify tonight, but I will state that...

Patrick Wheeler is currently the front runner @ 8,085,500 pts!

I also, regrettably, have to report that 2 scores had to be DQ'ed due to TG's MAME policy. I won't name the players (as the issue is still pending), but their runs had an average recording speed around 82%. I would like to remind players that you'll need an average of 95% or higher to be accepted.

If you have problems reaching the 95% average threshold with your INP's for some reason (like SLOW PROCESSOR), please contact me or Kelly first so the issue might be resolved.
  9. 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
    I just got a PM asking \"How do I check my average recording speed\"?

This is done using WolfView/32. For the command-line version, you'll want to enter the line.

Code:
    > wlfview <WLF File> <INP File>
    or more fitting example would be.

Code:
    >wlfview inp/mslug3.wlf inp/mslug3.inp
    This will display the details of your run, including average running speed as a percentage. However, I suggest the following.

Code:
    >wlfview inp/mslug3.wlf inp/mslug.inp > inp/mslug.txt
    This command will place the information from WolfView into a text file for easier viewing.

There's also the GUI version call Wolfview32, but you'll need the GTK+ toolkit to use it. Pretty much, if you've installed GIMP or Pidgin on your computer (especially the 2.2 series of GIMP), you should be OK to use it.

Wolfview32 gives you the same information, but grouped a bit better. You'll want to look on the INP tab for the average recording speed.

I'll have pictures of Wolfview32 tomorrow evening.
  10. 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
    I was thinking that you could F11 during the playback of an inp and it would tell you information like that as well. Or am I not reading the F11 info correctly during the playback?

--update-- I just checked and if you playback your INP and use F11, it should tells you what your recorded speed was. I know that at least during the initialization of the game I dip down into the mid-70s, but during gameplay I'm pretty much at 100% with 60-odd partial updates most of the time. At least that's what the F11 information was telling me.

--double update-- I guess the F11 wouldn't really tell you the average, but I would hope that someone would be able to realize that they are in the 80s instead of in the 90s by just monitoring their gameplay using F11. I hope, though, that the average does not include the NeoGeo startup time which is a big freaking hog and has no bearing on the speed of the gameplay itself.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us