2008 Mame Decathlon - Suggestions Thread

1. 2008 Mame Decathlon - Suggestions Thread

09-24-2007, 12:58 AM
    Well with 2007's event done with, I figured there's no point in wasting time to discuss about next year's event, including format, how long to run it, etc.

So please by all means, if you have any ideas on how you feel this premier event can be improved, feel free to post them all here. After all, this is for all you guys and I wish things to be as good as they can be, if not better ^_^

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  2. 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
    What if you ran it from January 1st through December 31st?
    Nik Meeks
    Chattanooga, TN
  3. 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    What if you ran it from January 1st through December 31st?
    I think they tried that once. It wasn't pretty. - ZM
  4. 09-24-2007, 08:15 AM
    Longest Decas I've been involved in were six months. Then again, I've only done a few. I kinda liked the format we did, and the six month format wasn't too bad either. Year long would be interesting, but maybe a bit too long. Then again, that's just me.
  5. 09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
    I think the three-month contest is the one with the most activity. With the six-month contest there was the usual mass activity at the start & by the third month, everyone had got on with their lives thinking there'd be plenty of time to compete later on. As with Real Lives, other things take over & there's a mad rush right at the very end but otherwise almost nil activity in between. Three months seems good - enough time for a rest part way through but retains the urgency of competition.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  6. 3 months vs 6

09-26-2007, 02:18 AM
    Kelly:

The Advanced Deca experiment was a 6-month endeavour. It lost a lot of steam mid-way and some gamers indicated that they could not predict so far in advance whether their work or home life would allow them to play significantly every month of the event. That was 2 titles per month and then last month was 1 last shot per title, if you recall. Didn't work out as planned.

What's been working so far seems to be a 3-4 week voting period, then a week or so of testing, then the announcement for a 90-day event.

Variations of the Deca and Advanced Deca were discussed but never tried for various reasons. Some included...

-> An all-BW deca
    -> Having sections with 3-4 titles each, such as section 1 which would be 3 or 4 titles for most points in stage 1 or thru stage 5 or 10, the idea being point-pressing is a different skillset, section 2 would be 1st life only meaning care and caution is another skillset, and section 3 would be full-game, meaning the usual all-encompassing skillset.

But that's for you to consider at some point. The general Deca format works fine for me.

What we found to generally hold tru over the years was holding a Deca type event that includes December as a month of competition was not the brightest as a lot of gamers had either exams or things busy at work/home during that month, and in some cases could not game for several days due to religious reasons so they lost out. I'd advise not to have December as a month of competition, except for the monthly MAME challenge.

Robert
  7. 09-26-2007, 07:45 AM
    I would like to see a \"challenge of the ages\" sort of deal. For a decathalon in 2008, two seventies titles, three eighties titles, three nineties titles, and two naughties titles sounds about right; that could be tweaked, or even narrowed further to specific year ranges. I think a good chronological spread of games will help make for a more varied, better balanced, and truly enjoyable competition. - ZM
  8. 09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotmeister
    ....and two naughties titles....
    Gals Panic and Miss World '96 ****? :D

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding)
  9. 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM
    Thank you all for your input, as it's absolutely invaluable. Please by all means keep coming with the thoughts as I wish to ensure that next year will be even better then ever!

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
  10. ZM's Request

09-29-2007, 04:48 AM
    Two from the 70's (pick 3)
    Avalanche
    Canyon Bomber
    Cosmic Alien
    Guided Missile
    Safari Rally
    Sheriff
    Sky Diver
    Tail Gunner
    Tunnel Hunt

The 80's (pick 3)
    Blaster
    Camel Try
    Carnival
    Chicken Shift
    Crush Roller
    Darius
    Penguin-Kun War
    Road Fighter
    Sky Kid
    Splatter House

The 90's (pick 2)
    Aliens
    Balcube
    Blomby Car
    GI Joe
    Pigskin 621ad (biggest blowout)
    Smash TV
    Super Street Fighter II
    The Simpsons
    Trog
    Zombie Raid

The 00's (pick 2)
    1945k III
    Dragon Blaze
    Gunbarich
    Nightmare in the Dark
    Metal Slug III
    Metal Slug IV
    Metal Slug V
    Mr Driller 2
    The Grid
    Rage of the Dragons

The TRUE \"Naughties\", as ZM calls them (pick 2)
    Gals Panic
    Gun Dealer
    Perestroika Girls
    Pipi & Bibis

Obviously these are all semi-serious choices, but I think a limited array of titles per era to choose from would work, else there will be (as usual) 90% of the choices having 1-2 votes and wasting the voting process.

Robert
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us