Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

  1. Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
    I have been playing the game for a few days now and trying to figure a few things out and get my score up. I know the ghosts have random patterns but does the red ghost move faster than the other ones? I always seem to die more by the red ghost than all the other ones combined.
  2. Re: Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    10-17-2010, 02:53 PM
    Same as in Pac Man, Blinky speeds up based on how many dots you've eaten. And the ghosts behavior is just randomized for 2 of the ghosts, and thats only for the first few seconds of a board.
  3. Re: Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
    I know the ghosts have random patterns but does the red ghost move faster than the other ones? I always seem to die more by the red ghost than all the other ones combined.
    The red ghost (Blinky) does speed up after eating a given number of dots. They call this a 'cruise elroy'. The number of dots you need to eat to trigger a cruise elroy goes down as you progress. Blinky pursues Pac-Man more directly than the others, combined with his speed advantage this makes Blinky maybe the most dangerous ghost?

    The ghosts still retain their Pac-Man hunting logic. In fact they actually use this pursuit logic more than in Pac-Man. Because the corner calls after reversal don't happen in Ms. Pac, the ghosts go right back to pursuit mode.

    There is just enough randomness at the beginning of a board to prevent patterns from working. After that none of the ghosts decisions are random.
  4. Re: Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dave88
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
    I know the ghosts have random patterns but does the red ghost move faster than the other ones? I always seem to die more by the red ghost than all the other ones combined.
    The red ghost (Blinky) does speed up after eating a given number of dots. They call this a 'cruise elroy'. The number of dots you need to eat to trigger a cruise elroy goes down as you progress. Blinky pursues Pac-Man more directly than the others, combined with his speed advantage this makes Blinky maybe the most dangerous ghost?

    The ghosts still retain their Pac-Man hunting logic. In fact they actually use this pursuit logic more than in Pac-Man. Because the corner calls after reversal don't happen in Ms. Pac, the ghosts go right back to pursuit mode.

    There is just enough randomness at the beginning of a board to prevent patterns from working. After that none of the ghosts decisions are random.

    depending on what version you play, there ARE PATTERNS:
    -----------------
    NES (tengen/namco)
    Sega master system
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo

    not sure about:
    -------------
    atari 2600/5200/7800
    atari lynx

    the thing is, they're pretty hard to do after awhile, and you're better
    off, just using clearing methods..

    yes, the arcade version is more random, and hard.. but some of these
    home versions are a lot harder than arcade, even on starndard settings..

    still haven't finished arcade mode (32 levels) on the more recent versions
    without using turbo..

    later
    -1
  5. [Genesis] Ms. Pac-Man score question

    03-19-2011, 09:33 PM
    Well, i didn't want to start a new thread..
    but here goes..

    i was looking at the top scores for the genesis
    version (NTSC) - arcade mode :
    ===================================
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/php/scores/ ... 3627&pi=29

    Rank Score
    Points Player Date Achieved Verification
    Method Shy by
    1 1,548,400 Todd Rogers Sep 30 2004 Video 0
    2 1,238,450 Ron Corcoran Jan 28 1998 Referee 309,950

    Single Player Only, Pac Booster Off, Normal Difficulty, Arcade Maze Selection, Starting Level 1

    Special Rules: None
    ======================================

    ok, how do you get 1 million in this mode? (or any of them?)

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    there's 32 boards, and it ends...
    so even if you perfect 4 ghosts on every board - 31x12,000 = 372,000
    and throw in a few thousand points for boards 32x4,000 = 128,000
    that's about half a million...

    unless you can figure out how to get bananas on 20+ random boards = 20x5,000= 100,000

    that's still only 600k , nowhere near 1.2 million or 1.5 million...

    am i missing something here?

    is there a mistake for these scores? i've been playing a lot lately
    and was wondering what the high scores were, but these look wrong..
    if you take off the millions digit, then yeah, it might be possible, VERY VERY HARD,
    but possible..

    later
    -1

    [*NOTE : EDITED FOR MATH ERROR, Bananas are 5,000 points, not 10,000*]
  6. Re: [Genesis] Ms. Pac-Man score question

    03-23-2011, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by negative1

    ok, how do you get 1 million in this mode? (or any of them?)

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    there's 32 boards, and it ends...
    so even if you perfect 4 ghosts on every board - 31x12,000 = 372,000
    and throw in a few thousand points for boards 32x4,000 = 128,000
    that's about half a million...

    unless you can figure out how to get bananas on 20+ random boards = 20x10,000= 200,000

    that's still only 700k , nowhere near 1.2 million or 1.5 million...

    am i missing something here?
    it seems so. 32 screens is not normal for a game of this era, almost anyone should have a Ms. pac KS if that was the case.

    I;m not an expert on arcade games, but according to Gamefaqs, the Arcade version is supposed to have 136 screens.
    Please join: International Classic Gaming Federation and GU

    Paul's Gamer Zone Arcade/Game room in Canton Ohio. Worth a visit...or 100.

    "I say, I say, figures every time I add 2 and 2 I get a four legged smart aleck machine"

    Max At Once WR's: 30 2/5/09

    Zelda E2Q Progress: 75%
  7. Re: [Genesis] Ms. Pac-Man score question

    03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeo
    Quote Originally Posted by negative1

    ok, how do you get 1 million in this mode? (or any of them?)

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    there's 32 boards, and it ends...

    am i missing something here?
    it seems so. 32 screens is not normal for a game of this era, almost anyone should have a Ms. pac KS if that was the case.

    I;m not an expert on arcade games, but according to Gamefaqs, the Arcade version is supposed to have 136 screens.
    i'm referring specifically to all the TENGEN licensed home versions..

    all of them end after 32 boards... they are NOT emulations of the arcade
    version (which has its own issues after 132 boards)..

    the genesis/super nintendo/nintendo/sega master system versions all
    have this limitation

    later
    -1
  8. Re: Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    03-24-2011, 03:19 AM
    Ah. well you might check and see if the pellets are worth more, Like the barrels in the Donkey Kong Home game are with 200 points more when it smashes them.

    Also home versions are FAMOUS for things being worth more in later levels, so check the pellets at level 32, I have a hunch they are worth probably triple(And have been for several levels) then at level 1.

    Edit: fixed my English to where It Doesn't look like I was raised Swahili, Dunno what I was thinking, or how I got Swahili accent going.
    Please join: International Classic Gaming Federation and GU

    Paul's Gamer Zone Arcade/Game room in Canton Ohio. Worth a visit...or 100.

    "I say, I say, figures every time I add 2 and 2 I get a four legged smart aleck machine"

    Max At Once WR's: 30 2/5/09

    Zelda E2Q Progress: 75%
  9. Re: Silly Ms. Pac-Man question

    03-24-2011, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeo
    Ah. well you might check and see if the pellets are worth more, Like the barrels in Donkey Home game are with 200 points more when smashes.

    Also home versison are FAMOUS for things being worth more in later levels, so check the pellets at level 32, I have a hunch they are worth probably triple(And have been for several levels) then at level 1.
    nope, nothing like that, sorry..

    i've played all the home versions extensively,
    and over the last two years know them pretty well..

    the only mode that has large scores, is the 'strange' board
    set, which is tracked separately, which gives you fruit/prizes
    that are 2,000 - 3,000 - 4,000 etc 9,000 and 10,000 points..
    so you can potentially get much higher scores..

    this scoring 'error' or discrepancy is just for the 'arcade' mode..

    i'm pretty sure it's an error, but if there's a mod, or someone that
    judges 'genesis' games .. i would like to have them check into it..
    especially since the two scores i mention have been verified..

    if i'm wrong, there must be some major trick to getting those
    kind of scores..

    later
    -1
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Join us