The good, the bad, and the deca.

1. Re: The good, the bad, and the deca.

03-02-2011, 01:30 AM
    I really enjoyed this selection of games, I liked that they were so old - historic hey - and you could see much of Universal's work. Faves were Snapjack and Jumping Jack, Cosmic Alien and Cosmic Avenger. Found most of the games pretty hard though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Thank you Kelly, Tim, & Russell for reffing this! May you always get to at least screen 7!

I suggest everyone have a play at Scramble now - after Cosmic Avenger it's weirdly easy, all of a sudden there's not a screen full of things all aiming exactly at you all the time!
  2. Re: The good, the bad, and the deca.

03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
    Hey, it's Carnaval (long holidays) here! lol

Well, my opinion about the games, sorted by favourite:

1 - NOVA2001: This game impressed me! The TGTS is great for this one!

2 - JJACK: This game impressed me too! Cool secrets! Despite you need a lot of training (save states are excellent here), it's a very good game! It was the game with higher "Play Time". When I submitted, the top was Andrew Barrow 217k, then my 223k was verified and Daniel Larsen 225k too. In the last day, Andrew Barrow got the top with 233k. Congratulations! JJACK was the best battle of the tournament IMO!

3 - CHEEKYMS: A simple game that requires reflexes, and I liked it. Very low "Play Time" here. I would return before the deadline, but I didn't. I know I can improve it easily in the future (like NOVA2001, SRAIDER, COSMICA and CAVENGER). I played the game with a good keyboard (Sony Vaio).

4 - COSMICA: I am not a Space Invaders / Galaga / Gaplus fan, but I like the few hours I played this game. I also would return...

5 - DOWILD: In the past, I planned to play this game, and this was the time. Here was easy to imagine that 100~120k would be the top score, so let's move to other game with higher/easier possibilities of increase my percentages... A good (and addictive) game... but the bad part is the lucky factor required... it's too bad.

6 - SRAIDER: Not very good, but not a bad game. I played a few hours in the last Saturday. I remembered GYRUSS game everytime I played it, but it's just the "half-pipe" format...

7 - SNAPJACK: Despite the "almost impossible" situations, this hard game is not bad, but nothing special too. Very dynamical, if it's the correct word. Lucky factor involved too (mainly in the EXTRA bonuses).

8 - CAVENGER: Very bad hit-boxes. Short game. A hard game since the beginning. An overall "bad" game, but that challenges you to try again... I stopped when reached 1st place, but I thought someone would beat it easily. I would use the same PANIC strategy here (push down the opponents) but the time was not enough to return...

9 - PANIC: A very hard game! Like someone said, the idea was good, but the game is bad! Mainly the ridiculous control, when you need fast turn, etc. The 2nd game that I most played. Despite a bad game, my strategy was to play (well) a game that everyone would not like, and push down all the opponent percentages. And the result was excellent!

10 - LADYBUG: Like Chris Bolding said, how the opinions are different! This is not the worst game ever, but don't like Pac-Man style games. My "Play Time" in this game was 2 hours (note: I playbacked some INPs before, so I "played" less than 2 hours)! That's all!

PS.: An overall "7" to the games. Please consider this grade as "very good" considering I don't like very old games ;)

Any comments?

Thanks for the fun!
    TRB_MetroidTeam
    Metroid Team, from Brazil
  3. Re: The good, the bad, and the deca.

03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TRB
    2 - JJACK: This game impressed me too! Cool secrets! Despite you need a lot of training (save states are excellent here), it's a very good game! It was the game with higher "Play Time". When I submitted, the top was Andrew Barrow 217k, then my 223k was verified and Daniel Larsen 225k too. In the last day, Andrew Barrow got the top with 233k. Congratulations! JJACK was the best battle of the tournament IMO!
    Thanks Valter. My 233k score is not great compared to the 1m+ on MARP. You talk about training, while this is true for the first 3 or so loops, it seemed to me that the difficulty (amount/pattern of monkeys) stops increasing after about the 4th loop (IIRC). In the 1m MARP INP, I watched the whole thing and noticed that after approx 300k he kept using the same pattern for specific levels. So only a limited amount of training is needed! Im also pretty sure VERTEX purposely lost his lives, so this title is probably marathonable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Join us