Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

1. Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
    Ok lets accept the pictures that where taken in 2004 as proof the met once.

However, if some pseudo documentary or film is rolling in Billy's back yard for 4 days and he is starring in it (whether its the antagonist or the protagonist) who come he shows up for just 1 time and doesn't even acknowledge Steve?

Throughout the whole film he is interviewed and says how important it is to do prove your record live. (Which I know he did later on after the film and got a high score via referee but that was too little to late cause the parade had already passed by with Steve).

Let's go back for a minute, at the start of the film it shows Billy VS. Steven Sanders (the kid that summited the fake Donkey Kong scores) and Sanders said while speaking of his encounter with Billy:
    We had not been there long and Bill said c'mon lets play
    and Billy says
    I finally met him at Life magazine and I finally sat down and played him.
    So then why wouldn't Billy give this same respect in the film to Steve Wiebe? I mean, it's only natural that when to competitor players meet that they want to challenge each other.

Billy had 4 days during the filming in his on backyard in Hollywood, Fl to play the challenger.

Steve Wiebe, flew several thousand miles to challenge him and his high score and capture it on film and Billy could only stop by one time, and not even interact with him. Billy even says
    There's certain people I don't want to spend to much time with.
    I mean c'mon twin galaxies, we know some parts where exaggerated because it's the nature of Hollywood, but those where not scripts where they? Was Steve and Billy reading a script that the producers wrote for them? Or where they playing themselves as in a semi-reality show?

Twin galaxies, please don't make the audience out to be a bunch of fools that can't see somethings for themselves.

I think you would be respected more if in addition to your 15 Official Claims, you would at least acknowledge the lack of respect that Billy choose to do on his own.

I mean, what kind of hospitality was that? He should have invited Steve to his restaurant and then been man enough to have an one on one competition for the four days that Steve was in town.

And, please don't tell us anymore of that time in 2004 that was not part of the film, where they were together, or the time Billy invited him and Steve could not show up.

Steve went to Billy's turf and Billy chickened out. Please explain this to us like we are the 10 year olds that you think we are.

Admit it!
  2. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
    Personally I'm conflicted about the whole thing. On the one hand, yeah, the whole thing seemed pretty bongodrummer-headed all around, but on the flip side I don't think anyone really knows for sure how long it had been since Bill was actively playing and, at the time, he could have been fairly out of practice. If that was the case then it's pretty obvious ~why~ he didn't play him.

And that tape he submitted...honestly, looking at the quality of the thing it looked like it had been recorded like back in 1990. I'm thinkin he was probably semi-actively playing/recording way back then, beat his existing score, had it on tape, but then chose to just keep the thing a secret, since there was no reason to set the bar even higher, plus that gave people kind of a fake score to shoot for, not realizing that the *REAL* top score was actually even higher.

But he probably did that like back in the early 90s and the score had been unchallenged for so long he probably stopped playing and got out of practice. Which then put him between a rock and hard place when suddenly he's expected to jump right back into a live competition when he hasn't even done one since...what, the 80s?!

On the other, other hand though, it could be argued that he ~did~ have enough time to prepare but simply didn't, most likely because of stress. It's possible that, for a long time, he probably thought no one would ever beat his high score...or at least not in his lifetime...and then when someone suddenly did it, well, it must have been a pretty hard smack of reality and probably took a big emotional and stressful toll on him. Steve is more open about his emotions, where as Bill seems to try and constantly hide/mask his own. He kind of reminds me of like a poker player in that respect.
  3. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
    When Billy said, "There's certain people I don't want to spend to much time with.", It was put into the film, as he was disrespecting Steve. Walter, and I believe Steve also said that Billy just meant that he didn't want to interrupt Steve's game.

Re- read the "issues with king of kong" statements. I know something of that sort is in there somewhere..Unless, it was deleted. :?:
  4. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
    I got to the point in the movie, about an hour into it, and was starting to doubt Twin Galaxies' partiality in the matter where they allowed Billy to submit a videotape, when Steve had JUST set the record Live, the way Billy had always said it should be done. I didn't know the score had only been recognized for about 48 hours, so in the end TG did finally do the right thing, IMO. BUT - to let Billy have his way like that still shows a bit of partiality toward him by the very people who made the rules in the first place, and denied Steve HIS day in the sun. It was kind of like letting the bully on the playground have his way, still.

I only play RPGs :-) (and only 1 ATM)

Doob
  5. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
    This has be hashed and re-hashed six ways to Sunday, so I'll try not to simply regurgitate what's already out there. That said I think the movie succeeds in glossing over one very crucial point relating to the Florida event:

It was NOT a tournament per se. Rather, it was a chance for players to beat an EXISTING record in order to get into the Guinness book. It follows, then, that Billy at the time had NO incentive to play at the event, much less play Steve head-to-head.

Now, had it actually been a REAL tournament, whereas the WINNER of the same would get into the book, and Billy still "refused" to play, that would be one thing. But, since Billy HAD the record already at the time of the event, he was already in line to be in the book - thus he did not HAVE to play.

It definately would have been intriguing to have seen Steve force Billy's hand by breaking the record during the event while allowing enough time for Billy to play to see what he could have done. But since that did not happen, unsavory as it may have been for certain viewers, and with all respect to Steve, Billy was allowed to stand pat.
  6. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

05-27-2010, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    When Billy said, "There's certain people I don't want to spend to much time with.", It was put into the film, as he was disrespecting Steve. Walter, and I believe Steve also said that Billy just meant that he didn't want to interrupt Steve's game.
    Listening to the tone and the exact words to me it's far from not wanting to distract Steve from Donkey Kong. But, I wasn't there and I'm basing that strictly what was captured on film.
    VectorGamer.com
    @RealVectorGamer
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
  7. Only walter and the filmmakers knew Steve was gonna be there

06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
    The film guys never gave you the whole scene and the whole conversation. And it was a conversation. They just finished eating at Billy's restaurant. That is why Steve has such an excited friendly tone to his voice. He was enthusiastically continuing the chat. The conversation went on for a couple mintues then billy and his wife walked over and started talking to me at the dig dug. So you need to be aware of editing. The whole slice was set up. We told the filmmakers bill wasn't gonna be there and the filmmakers never told us Steve was gonna be there. The lied to us all the way through the whole film. That is why there was only one dk machine there. The filmmakers knew steve was coming they already knew billy was gonna be there. dwayne
  8. Re: Even if they did meet up once, why did Billy refuse? Issue#3

06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacmantab
    ]

It was NOT a tournament per se. Rather, it was a chance for players to beat an EXISTING record in order to get into the Guinness book. It follows, then, that Billy at the time had NO incentive to play at the event, much less play Steve head-to-head.

Now, had it actually been a REAL tournament, whereas the WINNER of the same would get into the book, and Billy still "refused" to play, that would be one thing. But, since Billy HAD the record already at the time of the event, he was already in line to be in the book - thus he did not HAVE to play.
    YES! If there is one major complaint about this **** movie, its that it doesn't reflect that TG is not currently a Sanction sports body, like the NFL, or The MLBA, BASCAR, and so forth. There for just because TG is involved doesn't mean its an official contest, like a NASCAR race or the poker championships, or so forth. It is NOT "a person that is is here will win" type event. If I had a DK machine, and the skills, to compete at home, while they are doing it live or later, and I could still "win" the same prize, the record. That's what makes TG different, AND the thread that unwravels KOK.
    Please join: International Classic Gaming Federation and GU

Paul's Gamer Zone Arcade/Game room in Canton Ohio. Worth a visit...or 100.

"I say, I say, figures every time I add 2 and 2 I get a four legged smart aleck machine"

Max At Once WR's: 30 2/5/09

Zelda E2Q Progress: 75%
  9. Re: Only walter and the filmmakers knew Steve was gonna be t

08-10-2010, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne
    The film guys never gave you the whole scene and the whole conversation. And it was a conversation. They just finished eating at Billy's restaurant. That is why Steve has such an excited friendly tone to his voice. He was enthusiastically continuing the chat. The conversation went on for a couple mintues then billy and his wife walked over and started talking to me at the dig dug. So you need to be aware of editing. The whole slice was set up. We told the filmmakers bill wasn't gonna be there and the filmmakers never told us Steve was gonna be there. The lied to us all the way through the whole film. That is why there was only one dk machine there. The filmmakers knew steve was coming they already knew billy was gonna be there. dwayne
    Of course the film guys never give you the whole scene. They have to shoot tons of hours only to be able to select a few, if that.

If your going to bring up the restaurant, then why don't you mention the fact that Billy did not want Steve there? Steve, practically forced the issue by showing up at Billy's place when he saw that Billy did not have the balls to meet him.

So yes, they did have dinner, which I believe the movie does not show either but again it was Steve's idea.

Overall, the movie portrays Billy as a villain however it's clear who has more balls between the two.

From the sound of your post, you too are a local. So you must know that they call those from Broward..."Cowards from Broward." It makes sense that Billy lives in Broward. And if you think I made that saying up about males that live in broward, you can google it.

Broward will always be overshadowed by Miami!

We are the center of the Basketball Universe:)
  10. Re: Only walter and the filmmakers knew Steve was gonna be t

08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Yu Chun
    If your going to bring up the restaurant, then why don't you mention the fact that Billy did not want Steve there?
    Did you have access to Bill's brain and is that what it told you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Yu Chin
    Steve, practically forced the issue by showing up at Billy's place when he saw that Billy did not have the balls to meet him.

So yes, they did have dinner, which I believe the movie does not show either but again it was Steve's idea.
    I guess you didn't notice that EVERYONE was there?
    Overall, the movie portrays Billy as a villain however it's clear who has more balls between the two.
    Is that a topic of great interest to you?
    From the sound of your post, you too are a local.
    Wow, this the most asinine paragraph with regards to this film I have read yet to date anywhere, (and I've been on IMDB.) Dwayne isn't even from the United States.
    Likes Conjured Entertainment liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us