What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

1. What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
    From the scoreboard's rules on the main site:

"Your scoring attempt ends when your lives run out OR you defeat the Final Boss for the first time. It's possible to die after delivering the final blow, allowing you to defeat him again and again. This is due to the fact he's 100,000 points, which is worth multiple extra lives."

I've never understood the reason for this rule. Can someone enlighten me on why the boss cannot be killed multiple times for points? Cause I cannot think of a single reason why this shouldn't be allowed.
  2. Re: What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

08-27-2011, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zallard1
    From the scoreboard's rules on the main site:

"Your scoring attempt ends when your lives run out OR you defeat the Final Boss for the first time. It's possible to die after delivering the final blow, allowing you to defeat him again and again. This is due to the fact he's 100,000 points, which is worth multiple extra lives."

I've never understood the reason for this rule. Can someone enlighten me on why the boss cannot be killed multiple times for points? Cause I cannot think of a single reason why this shouldn't be allowed.
    I'm not an expert on the game, but my guess would be the those last six words:

"...which is worth multiple extra lives."

The way I'm reading the rules, it appears that you can keep doing that forever. Kill the boss, but also die. All those points gives you at least one extra life. Repeat the process indefinitely.
  3. Re: What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

08-27-2011, 07:53 PM
    Yes, but the game does not give you an infinite amount of lives. After you've earned your 10th life on your 1 credit, the game will reward you with no more. That loop ends very abruptly after the 10th death because of that.
  4. Re: What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
    Just to make sure I understand that correctly, the game stops after it gives you your tenth extra life, or when your life counter hits 10?
  5. Re: What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
    After your gaining your 10th life, the game will not reward anymore ever again until you lose. Your life counter only shows 4, but it will keep track of anything over 4 lives; I'd assume it internally maxes out at 9 or 10. I used to mess with the stage select code as a kid and start at stage 7 (last stage) to kill the boss repeatedly for score just for fun. You can only get a max of 1,100,000 from doing this (the 10 lives, and your standard kill of the boss).
  6. Re: What's with Splatterhouse's high score rules?

09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
    To be honest, I'm not sure why the rules were set the way they are, but I'm guessing there is some reason for it. Your best bet would be to get ahold of Dave Nelson to see if he can give any insight to it.
Join us